SD and HD version of WWE would cost me $90!!!!

dont24

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Nov 20, 2004
MA
So I order the HD version of No Way Out tonight, $49.95. I forgot one of my sons has an SD receiver in his room. So I call Dish and ask what are my options. They tell me I have to pay another $39.95 for the SD version:confused: WTF:mad: Are they serious? I asked to talk to a supervisor. He stated I could, but that's the only option. I hung up in frustration. The same event, same time slot, will cost subscribers double , if they want both the SD and HD feeds? Something's wrong with this picture.

When I did something similar I had to order it for both receivers. I thought if you ordered a PPV that it would be good for both receivers but it wasn't.

It's school vacation for my kids next week, so we all plan to watch it on the main tv in HD. That's not the point. A couple of weeks ago I ordered WWE PPV and both the SD and HD version were available for 39.95. Now the HD version is 49.95. Not too happy about it, but I can handle the $10 HD surcharge. My kids like watching the matches over and over again in their bedrooms. For that I have to pay another $40 for the SD version. No Way! Again, doesn't make sense to me.

Then call Vince and bitch at him!
But really, you have to give Vince a break. It costs a lot of money to cover up all those positive steroid tests every month!

I am curious. Is this a Vince/WWE thing across all providers? Or is this the norm for all PPV events that are available in both SD and HD.

I talked to a CSR online and this is what I got....

You have been connected to (05-03) jennifer R.
(05-03) jennifer R: Thank you for choosing Dish Network the leader in DVR and HD. How may I assist you?
Me: Yes I am thinking of ordering WWE No Way Out on PPV, but I wanted to know that if I order the HD version, do I get the SD version as well?
(05-03) jennifer R: Let me check
Me: Ok thank you
(05-03) jennifer R: It is only in Standard definition
Me: On Dish's website it says WWE nwo HD $49.99 and SD $39.99
(05-03) jennifer R: ok
(05-03) jennifer R: You can get both if you want
(05-03) jennifer R: The HD will show on the standard TV
(05-03) jennifer R: Just not as clear
Me: OK but what about the other recievers that are not mpeg4?
(05-03) jennifer R: That is fine
(05-03) jennifer R: The picture will just not come in as cleat
(05-03) jennifer R: clear
Me: So it will still show on the other recievers even though they cannot decode mpeg4?
(05-03) jennifer R: They will convert the picture to show it
Me: Ok thank you
(05-03) jennifer R: You're very welcome.
Me: That is all
(05-03) jennifer R: Thank you for using Dish Network Live Chat. Have a great day.
Thank you for visiting Dish Network. You may now close this window.
Your session has ended. You may now close this window.

So I order the HD version of No Way Out tonight, $49.95. I forgot one of my sons has an SD receiver in his room. So I call Dish and ask what are my options. They tell me I have to pay another $39.95 for the SD version:confused: WTF:mad: Are they serious? I asked to talk to a supervisor. He stated I could, but that's the only option. I hung up in frustration. The same event, same time slot, will cost subscribers double , if they want both the SD and HD feeds? Something's wrong with this picture.

hmm why would your son want to watch it in SD when it is in HD in the house? Maybe receiver in someone elses house? :eek:

hmm why would your son want to watch it in SD when it is in HD in the house? Maybe receiver in someone elses house? :eek:

The same reason my son does to watch over again during the week.
My kids like watching the matches over and over again in their bedrooms. For that I have to pay another $40 for the SD version. No Way! Again, doesn't make sense to me.

The pricing is the same for all providers. Dish just didn't have the inflated price on the first PPV, but they appear to have gotten inline with cable/DirecTV

I believe everyone is misreading this. From what I can remember, PPV events are always per receiver. If you had a 622/722/222, then the HD version would play on the HDTV and be down converted to the SDTV on TV2.

I believe everyone is misreading this. From what I can remember, PPV events are always per receiver. If you had a 622/722/222, then the HD version would play on the HDTV and be down converted to the SDTV on TV2.

I thought if you ordered by web or phone it was for the entire account and not just one receiver.

No it is per receiver. My Sons rented t last night. Oldes haas a 622 in his room. Since it was there money I was curious to see if they rented the sd or hd versions. They splurged and got the HD version cause it looked better during the previews. That's my boys.:D

No it is per receiver. My Sons rented t last night. Oldes haas a 622 in his room. Since it was there money I was curious to see if they rented the sd or hd versions. They splurged and got the HD version cause it looked better during the previews. That's my boys.:D

How was it rented? with the remote? If so, then yes it is only one receiver.

Ordered through the website. I ordered the HD version. No issues watching it on my HD receivers. Since 539 is not available on a sd receiver, I was told I'd have to pay another $40 to watch, or in my case record, the same event on my 510. Again, I don't know if this is Dish thing or a WWE policy, but it's stupid.

Ordered through the website. I ordered the HD version. No issues watching it on my HD receivers. Since 539 is not available on a sd receiver, I was told I'd have to pay another $40 to watch, or in my case record, the same event on my 510. Again, I don't know if this is Dish thing or a WWE policy, but it's stupid.

I betting it is a WWE thing since it is two separate feeds and two separate programs as they want the stats for both feeds.

Here is how it typically works. if you call, it will be opened up on all receivers in the house. There is a extra charge for ordering it that way though.

If you order it on one receiver, then order it on another receiver on the same account, both receivers will call DISH to reported, but you will be billed for only once.

I've done such numerous times with PPV events.

It could be different for WWE event, but I doubt it and have seen no proof.. a chat log by someone likely in india means nothing.

I wouldn't be surprised though if you order the event in HD, you can't get the SD version. This because of the way Dish's system works for tracking fees to program providers. HD and SD on different channels, so a hit to open one channel isn't necessarily gonna open the other one.