SEC CHANNEL

Status
Please reply by conversation.
That game is being picked up by a local station here. .
I have a question. If the SEC network is available on those and other stations, why would it not be available in the future?

That channel was never available where I live in the NC Piedmont. In fact, before this was even an issue, I'd never heard of the SEC channel.
Which Saturday 12:30 game are you talking about?
Here's the thing with these niche channels. The producers of the channel are not going to allow it to be put in a higher tier, nor will they permit it to be a pay channel. The reason is simple, not enough buys. The channel would require placement in a tier where many subscribers already are buying that level. This spreads out the cost of the channel. Often to unsuspecting consumers who will never watch the channel but get stuck paying extra for it.
I think we will see providers balking at paying for these specialty sports channels more often because the producers are unrealistic as to the value of the service. Looks like DTV is putting it's foot down on this one.
I would not sweat it. Not much is going to be shown on this channel that is not already available on other channels. Such as football and hoops. It's not the end of the world.

So you HAVE heard of to know the game is being carried locally,? Or never heard of it until now because I just told you...

How is this relevant? There will be three live football games on the SEC Network every Saturday. Every school has a minimum three non conference games and the majority of those are already produced and aired on ESPNU.

Exactly, you just made my point ... the major games will not be on the sec network, thats what I have been saying all along ...

It's the same format as what the BTN is using.

See what happens when you think your conference is better than thou ...
You get to PAY for it now.

How do you consider the sec channel is Better than the BTN ?
Do you understand why the major conferences are adding these channels? It has absolutely nothing to do with what you or I or any fan thinks of what conference is better.

As to the second part of the post, it comes down to ratings id imagine.

Do you understand why the major conferences are adding these channels? It has absolutely nothing to do with what you or I or any fan thinks of what conference is better.

As to the second part of the post, it comes down to ratings id imagine.

I doubt that either channel ends up with anything more than very avg. ratings at most.

So, your OK with having to pay for the channel when only the lower tier games are on ?

I figure I'm doing that now. Difference here is ill get more bang for my buck in the way of lesser sports.

One thing I know is I won't miss that one time a year my team has that lower tier televised game if I can have it. I don't have to now, and I won't later. Even if I have to swap again.

As to your statement before though, who has said that the sec network would take the big games from ESPN or CBS ?

You seem determined to make that one of your "ah ha" statements and I've yet to see anyone argue otherwise.

Last edited:
I doubt that either channel ends up with anything more than very avg. ratings at most.

Its possible. One being higher than the other would still answer your basic question however, and while I haven't looked it up,Id wager the typical sec football game brings higher ratings than any competing typical football game from other conferences.

As to your statement before though, who has said that the sec network would take the big games from ESPN or CBS ?

CBS still gets 1st dibs each week of what game they get.
I could see ESPN shift a somewhat big game or 2 to the SEC Network just to put pressure on providers to carry it

Has anyone said they would?

I heard several interviews with ESPN big wigs and they have stated yes big games will be on any of the ESPN networks they choose. They will put some big games on the SEC network at least until they have many providers lined up to carry the network.

Out of the 45 games scheduled at least 30 of them will be conference games. At any degree, to say these 45 games will all be lower tired or not "big time" games is relative.

CBS still gets 1st dibs each week of what game they get.
I could see ESPN shift a somewhat big game or 2 to the SEC Network just to put pressure on providers to carry it

They already are: Texas AM vs South Carolina, they play in the first week, will be on the SEC Network. To say this is a "big game" or not is relative to the fan.

My apologies. I meant normally. I fully expect a game or two to be on this channel as pressure for carriage. One already is.

I meant past that. Every sec fan I know realizes the point of this channel and has no confusion as to what it will show.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I heard several interviews with ESPN big wigs and they have stated yes big games will be on any of the ESPN networks they choose. They will put some big games on the SEC network at least until they have many providers lined up to carry the network.

Espn will have to. They won't air the "big games" on ESPNU because in most markets ESPNU is part
of a sports package. The SEC Network will be made available only on basic cable in the 11 state footprint of the SEC. If the bigger games are not on the sec network it will have a tremendous impact on advertising revenue because ESPNU will be seen by fewer households.

Its possible. One being higher than the other would still answer your basic question however, and while I haven't looked it up,Id wager the typical sec football game brings higher ratings than any competing typical football game from other conferences.

In 2013 the SEC was the highest rated conference with 12 teams in the Top 25, including 6 teams in the Top 10

So you HAVE heard of to know the game is being carried locally,? Or never heard of it until now because I just told you...

Nevedr knew of the existence of the SEC Network. I simply browsed the guide for tomorrow and found the game.

I figure I'm doing that now. Difference here is ill get more bang for my buck in the way of lesser sports.

One thing I know is I won't miss that one time a year my team has that lower tier televised game if I can have it. I don't have to now, and I won't later. Even if I have to swap again.

You seem determined to make that one of your "ah ha" statements and I've yet to see anyone argue otherwise.

I'm saying that the new SEC network will NOT have the BIG games of the week.
Unless espn extends the sec into thier own and decides to make espn officially the SEC network main channels, in which those outside of the sec conferences will lose severely.

I'm just looking at what might happen.

They already are: Texas AM vs South Carolina, they play in the first week, will be on the SEC Network. To say this is a "big game" or not is relative to the fan.

We will get that game locally on an OTA station. That's the way it works.
If a local station has a contract to show games where a particular school is involved, that station has a contractual obligation to show that game.
In that case the RSN or even ESPN is blacked out.
For example. Last night's Duke v UNC game. Had the station that has that contract to show ACC games decided to pick up that game, the ESPN broadcast would have been blacked out.
The same will apply to any game involving U of SC football. ALL of their games are shown here locally or on the national network package.
I am just 100 miles from Columbia, SC.

In 2013 the SEC was the highest rated conference with 12 teams in the Top 25, including 6 teams in the Top 10

Yes. The SEC is THE football conference. It is also a strong basketball and baseball conference.
Back on track though, I am not sure which operators will pick up the SEC network. It's all about the numbers.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)