SEC CHANNEL

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I didn't start it. I wouldn't have said anything if it wasn't directly quoted and directed at ME. (And not you.) It is offensive to many used in that way.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Thats got nothing to do with you making a big deal of out of a word. Ill leave it to the mods, but IMO it was fine until you made it something it isnt.

Am I not allowed to say "god, I cant stand MTV". When "god" is not meant as a religious point?

Turning into pit material.

Lets get it back to the topic at hand which is the SEC Network on Directv. ;)

Let's leave the Lord's name in vain somewhere else.

I think many people will use it. Most people don't watch most of the crap we all have to pay for so your point is moot.

What you think or believe is immaterial.
True we all pay for "crap" we don't watch. Agree.
Now, where do we draw the line?
With the addition of these new channels (SEC and Longhorn) we see an unjust addition of regionally viewed niche channels added to the lineup to be funded across the entire customer base.
Now, one could state there would be precedent if ALL RSN's were provided and funded by all customers. Such is not the case. Those channels are available as p[art of an optional sports pack.
Common sense tells most intelligent people that the same conditions should apply to ALL specialty sports nets.
Now, in the new deal with Disney, all of these additional features, the bells and whistles which I will argue MOST subscribers will not use, will be again born by the entire subscriber base.
This is wrong.
Those that wish these bells and whistles should pay for them. Not those who do not use them.

Last edited:
Let's leave the Lord's name in vain somewhere else.

I think many people will use it. Most people don't watch most of the crap we all have to pay for so your point is moot.

Lighten up....If you are among the perpetually offended, perhaps a public message board is not the best place for you.
Oy Vey!
Uh....We're done.

What you think or believe is immaterial.
True we all pay for "crap" we don't watch. Agree.
Now, where do we draw the line?
With the addition of these new channels (SEC and Longhorn) we see an unjust addition of locally viewed niche channels added to the lineup to be funded across the entire customer base.
Now, one could state there would be precedent if ALL RSN's were provided and funded by all customers. Such is not the case. Those channels are available as p[art of an optional sports pack.
Common sense tells most intelligent people that the same conditions should apply to ALL specialty sports nets.
Now, in the new deal with Disney, all of these additional features, the bells and whistles which I will argue MOST subscribers will not use, will be again born by the entire subscriber base.
This is wrong.
Those that wish these bells and whistles should pay for them. Not those who do not use them.

Oh, it should be noted (and as I have posted before) these niche channels should be in the Sportspack. I have also posted before that I do not like the idea of the LHN because I don't want to encourage every school to have their own network. There has to be a line and that is it, IMO.

You are assuming everyone believes in that word. How about leaving the political and religious out of it. I did not take anything from the use other than it being a word used for frustration, YOU made it religious.

Thank you....Precisely the context in which the sentence was posted.

I left Dish partially because of their local channel disputes, but also because I went a whole fball season without ESPNU, and wasnt going to do it again. I had previous experience with Directv though and new Id be just fine.

Don't get me wrong. D* is a superior to Dish on the sports front.
I would switch so I could see the NY Metro RSN's( I live outside the footprint of the market and Dish does not carry any of them), but there are extenuating circumstances which for now, keep me with Dish.
When did Dish not have ESPNU?....Are you referring to ESPNU in HD?

Wow. Are there moderators here?

Are you attempting to start trouble?
Dude, you're new here. Relax.
Running to the mods over what is a fleeting use of a certain term is nothing to get riled up about.
Let's get back to the issue at hand, shall we.
Now, I have a question. If SEC was offered a la carte, would you purchase the channel? What amount would you be willing to pay?
Thanks in advance for answering those questions and those questions only.

Now, I have a question. If SEC was offered a la carte, would you purchase the channel? What amount would you be willing to pay?

If it were offered a la carte I would purchase it. Not sure what monthly amount I would be willing to pay, as the main reason I want it is for the one, MAYBE two games a year when Bama football is on, after that I would get alot more SEC basketball, baseball, and softball coverage. I would also watch the morning SEC games that I already watch on the syndicated SEC network that is currently available.

Considering that I buy the one PPV game we have at $29, and I would be now paying for the above mentioned football games, and additional games in other sports, I would probably pay $10 or so a month for it, probably would pay even more during football season only . I have no doubt nationwide I would be in the minority. Regionally, among sports fans, I would probably fall in the middle of the crowd.

A la carte - yes, I would get SEC Network a la carte but no more than $4.99/month.
Or a "college sports" package for $9.99 that included BTN, Pac12 Networks, SEC, LHN (if it must exist), ESPNU, and the FCS channels. The current system for FCS is fine.

If it were offered a la carte I would purchase it. Not sure what monthly amount I would be willing to pay, as the main reason I want it is for the one, MAYBE two games a year when Bama football is on, after that I would get alot more SEC basketball, baseball, and softball coverage. I would also watch the morning SEC games that I already watch on the syndicated SEC network that is currently available.

Considering that I buy the one PPV game we have at $29, and I would be now paying for the above mentioned football games, and additional games in other sports, I would probably pay $10 or so a month for it, probably would pay even more during football season only . I have no doubt nationwide I would be in the minority. Regionally, among sports fans, I would probably fall in the middle of the crowd.
$29 seems a little steep.
I guess is takes a whole bunch of dedication to drop that kind of money on one game. Oh well.
Anyway.....

I guess is takes a whole bunch of dedication to drop that kind of money on one game. Oh well.
Anyway.....

Much cheaper than going :D

Like I said, its really all I personally watch, I just dont have the time, or usually can find something better to do the rest of the year.
Were it not for my wife and child, I could do away with sat tv, and get by on OTA, netflix, and my friends Watch ESPN info.

Anyway.....

We get that you don't like sports. You keep telling us over and over and over and over again ...

But many people do. People will drop $29 or more to watch a PPV game, spend hundreds to attend a games in person, donate hundreds or thousands to a university to guarantee good seating at those games, etc. If Alabama fans or Georgia fans or Tennessee fans find out there are a few football games they can't watch because their carrier doesn't have the SEC Network, you can bet a sizable percentage of them will switch to a carrier that has it.

I expect the SEC Network will be just as successful at the BTN since they have such a good brand in football and basketball. I'm personally looking forward to it because I live in the northeast and never get to see those third tier games (they are blacked out on RSNs, and I'm not paying hundreds for GamePlan or FullCourt broadcast in shoddy SD).

Still I think the odds are in favor of DirecTV signing with the SEC Network before football season starts up. DTV knows that there are a lot of fans who will switch over this channel, way more than they have lost over the Pac-12 Network.

Last edited:
I wouldn't mind if SEC and Longhorn were in the base package in those particular areas just like BTN is in most providers (i think the only reason btn is nationwide on directv is btn is 1/2 owned by Fox and didnt murdock own directv around the time of launch?)

put sec network in the sec states
put longhorn in texas (maybe in the border areas of texas too)

would make the $1 more sportspack cost much more to handle ;)

WOW!...Just WOW.. So you would start a new 2 year agreement with a different provider, which you could end up hating, to get ONE channel?

Sure. We were with Dish for 12 years before we left for Direct over one channel. It's all about programming for us. And, we didn't hate Dish. There are things I like and dislike about both providers.

Personally, I would. Although Ive been with Dish before, so I know what I would be getting into. Thing is, there is very little that I watch live that actually keeps me paying for sat service. Live college sports, SEC sports in particular is the main thing. I would rather stay with Directv, but if they do not offer it, and one of their competitors that I can get does....Ill go then consider my options again at a later time. If I am going to pay for it, I certainly prefer to get the content that I watch. Edit: and it wouldnt be just one channel for me. Its access to watch espn (which I do have through a friends comcast account, but this would be easier on me and not dependent on him keeping service)

Yes, WatchESPN is a definite draw. I can get ESPN3 on my phone and ipad because of my internet provider, which is ok. Getting all of them via app on my TV would be great! Plus Dish would carry the U in HD, finally.

WeatherNation is local. Press the red button. It's not the same as the real local forecast if one of your locals has an affiliation, but it's not any less than the weather channel gave us...

The Weather channel has "Local on the 8's" which is a 1-3 minute forecast. That's the ONLY thing I miss from TWC. As for the red button feature. It's kinda cool, but I never use it.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts