Service Restored to 129 Satellite!

Albuquerque area has 3 VHF channels, 7 KOAT-ABC, 8 KNMD-PBS, and 10 KCHF-IND, some UHF cat whisker type antennas do a satisfactory job of receiving channels between 7 and 13 in high signal strength areas but for low signal strength areas they tend to fail.

Yea if we had known that 129 was out on dish's end we would never have run the test last night.But since dish neither ran a prompt or emailed us how was anyone to know that it wasn't an issue at home.Satguys was also down at that time.Dish really needs to do a much better job of letting customers know they are having issues and working on the problem.

9 out of ten times when customer has issue they say reboot receiver and/or run switch test.SO I feel certain there were many others that did the same thing.

First thing I did was change channels by going to menu then guide, next I came to Satelliteguys to get the story about many channels missing.

Messing with satellite configuration is never your first move.

With Digital TV there are virtual channels 3.1, 3.2 32.1, 32.2 and the like, but the actual RF channel frequency can be anything between 2 and 52.
I thought it was 2-51... It should be noted that the *real* channel they broadcast on is usually UHF, but a lot of DMA's have one or more channels in the VHF range. Like Chicago has channel 7.1 (ABC) on real channel 7 (though they also broadcast their signal on UHF 44). Their channel 2.1 (CBS) is on real channel 12, but they are trying to get a low power antenna setup so they can broadcast on UHF 26 as well.

Like Jim5560 referenced though, your best bet is to try TV Fool. There are several helpful folks in their forum too that can give you advice or suggestions on antenna options once you provide them your map link.

First thing I did was change channels by going to menu then guide, next I came to Satelliteguys to get the story about many channels missing.

Messing with satellite configuration is never your first move.

hahaha thats funny bro.I suppose you let the sat gods take care of all your stuff?

What make/model antenna is that? I am just using rabbit ears in my attic, but not getting good signal levels.

You might have better luck with the rabbit ears by your TV. The OTA antenna I have is a Terrestrial Digital DB4. Also using a Channel Master Titan 2 amplifier spliting OTA to three of my DVRs. Use this web site to help you with OTA antennas. AntennaWeb

Attachments

• DSC02281.JPG
    DSC02281.JPG
    347.2 KB · Views: 208
Does anyone reliably know what exactly caused 129 to go offiline? Technical issue, human error (like testing in production) or an act of god/nature :D

Someone mentioned guys shooting at Ceil 2 with AK-47's. I guess they hit it. The satellite then had a Call of Duty : Modern Warfare 2 moment -- it disappeared and re-spawned in ALMOST the same spot but was a little bit off orientation. ;)

Anyway. I came home at about 7 PM and noticed no signal on 129. Checked the switch but didn't save the new detection data. Went outside and checked the dish real quick. Couldn't get on the Dish site, so I came here. Had about 6 hours of DVRed stuff to catch up on. MY neighbor JUST got Dish a few weeks ago, so I went over and told them the satellite at 129 was out.

Last edited:
Just want to thank you guys for keeping me from going crazy last night - new member here (and not really tech savvy - my son is) - appreciate this site - even if some of the comments go over my head ..... again thank you!

Scott did it

I'm pretty sure that Scott single handedly took out 129 last night in order to generate more traffic for his upcoming server upgrade. Just saying. LMAO.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)