Set up question might be wrong forum but not sure.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Troydog

Original poster
Apr 24, 2013
Ky
Hi aging

Ok order a fta system from satellite av. Never set up one of these units but did set up dish network when it first came out years ago. But this might be where I am in the wrong forum to ask this part of the question.

I also have a outdoor aerial so I order a Diplexer DPD2 Switch. I know that should work to bring both sat and over the air on one cable into the house. But now thinking some more my aerial has a rotor built into it. It gets the power over the rg6 one cable does both motor and video return.

Well I run into problems using a aerial like this on the same line as the dish even with switch?

Also before I hook this up I order a flat rg6 cable so I can run it into the door and not have to drill since I rent. Is the flat cable ok to use it is rg6 12 inch?

If ya gotta use the flat cable, then use it.
Better than the alternative! :)

Diplexers are for regular uncomplicated antenna.
Dont know what you got there, but wouldn't mix it with FTA hardware.
So, two cables, no diplexers.

And last but not least , diplexers loose signal.
You are much better running two cables, even with a traditional antenna.

Diplexers can work, but you lose quite a lot of signal and you can lose many weaker terrestrial channels.

The power for the terrestrial antenna could be an issue as the antenna port usually is not power passing. I would also be concerned about the terrestrial power interfering with the polarity switching of the satellite LNBF.

The flat cable is fine, but be sure that it is used in a low traffic area. The cable can be crushed or worn out when repeatedly crushed.

I use these flat cables: http://worldwidesatellites.com/ultra-flat-window-cable-rg6-coax-p-511.html

They look like they're much less susceptible to damage than the ones that look like a piece of coax that's been smashed flat (some of which have been reported to catch fire.)

I didn't purchase from the company I linked, but the U.S. company I got mine from doesn't appear to have them anymore, and it looks like exactly the same thing to me.

Thanks guys. I think I will run another line for over the air and forget the switches. This is what I use over over the air right now but it was only like 19 bucks when they made them. I got to say it works ok.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007NPMTMC/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Just can not wait to get my dish system. Looks like it well be here on the 7th. I think with it over the air and roku I well have some good things to watch.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts