Setting up Wave Frontier T90

Status
Please reply by conversation.
My worse fears have been confirmed i guess. I thought i had enough clearance over the trees in my backyard. Looks like i was wrong. When i tried to get 91... i was surprised to see it peak at 70.... then i saw it go: 25 - 75 - 45 - 35 - 55 - 60 - 75 - 40 in the following 15 seconds. It was extremely windy on saturday which is a very good indication that there must be a tree blocking 91... Same thing for 119... could never lock the sat at all even if i played with skew - elevation and lnb position. Good news is i was going to cut those trees... most of them are almost dead. But i guess i was lucky to get 110 with such a good signal through them.

My worse fears have been confirmed i guess. I thought i had enough clearance over the trees in my backyard. Looks like i was wrong. When i tried to get 91... i was surprised to see it peak at 70.... then i saw it go: 25 - 75 - 45 - 35 - 55 - 60 - 75 - 40 in the following 15 seconds. It was extremely windy on saturday which is a very good indication that there must be a tree blocking 91... Same thing for 119... could never lock the sat at all even if i played with skew - elevation and lnb position. Good news is i was going to cut those trees... most of them are almost dead. But i guess i was lucky to get 110 with such a good signal through them.

I am wondering if your subreflector is not upside down?

The instructions for that dish are not real clear!!! Both the main dish and the subreflector have a small hole drilled in the rim of the dish. That is a water drain hole.

Check that the water drain hole on the your subreflector is facing down.

Yeah! tell me about the instructions :) The hole is facing down...I looked at the several drawings and pictures before i tighten up the bolts for the subreflector because i knew this was a common mistake. Can we upload pics here? Like i said, i'm not sure if the trees are a factor or not. But last week when i was trying to get 91, it would only peak at about 40.... but then yesterday it was extremely windy (over 40mph) and like i said, the signal fluctuated a whole bunch and i was not even touching it. It was just going nuts on its own. This tells me i must have a tree blocking 91 but because of the wind bending the trees, i could get a better signal for a few seconds.

If i have a tree problem, i might just wait for my tree cutting guy to come here. But i'm still paying my subscription to Bell in the meantime so i'd like to have this done quick. The other solution would be to move this big bubba up on my roof. But just thinking about it gives me back aches ;)

If i have a tree problem, i might just wait for my tree cutting guy to come here. But i'm still paying my subscription to Bell in the meantime so i'd like to have this done quick. The other solution would be to move this big bubba up on my roof. But just thinking about it gives me back aches ;)

A T90 needs to have easy access. At least until it is set up perfectly. Roof mount sound like a pain.

I thought of the roof mount too...until I saw how big & heavy that dish is (and the fact I'd be tweaking it constantly) :)

Mine is mounted on a 30" high table on my deck :)

Last edited:
Ok here are mine.
Notice how i have several trees... they aren't that thick, mostly pine trees but i believe they can play a factor. When i was prepping my spot i was just figuring out 0 degrees was parralel to the ground 90 was straight up... so in between with my arm pointing at the sky, i thought i had enough clearance... Now that i look at the dish and how it's poiting right at the trees, i'm getting worried.

Note that most of the trees located to the left of the antenna will be cut in a very near future. Leaving only those to the right (which belong to the neighbor).

On the picture i took from far behind, you can actually see the irrigation blanket that seperates my lot to my neighbor's. All trees located on the left of this blanket are mine and will be taken down.

So what are your thoughts? Is it a viable location for the dish? With and without the trees?

Attachments

• IMG_3443.jpg
    IMG_3443.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 186
  • IMG_3445.jpg
    IMG_3445.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 181
  • IMG_3447.jpg
    IMG_3447.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 178
Last edited:
Distance from a object is your most important factor to consider. Can you install that dish farther from the trees? (Other side of your lot?)

All in all, looks like a very bad LOS location to me. Satellite signal don't go through trees. You need to do a very detail LOS survey(using a scope). The effort spent in determining what location will work would save you a lot of head aches.

I believe i'd have as much trouble setting it up on the other side of the lot. The other thing to consider is how far i can go from my electrical box where i actually connect my cable to send it to the proper outlet inside.

I've heard that over 100 feet of coaxial cable can be bad for the signal quality.

I guess the other thing that kinda made me thought i could put it there was the fact that i was getting such a strong signal from 110. I guess it's really peeking between 2 trees or something.

Sorry about the size of the pictures, i didn't know how to attach them as a thumbnail like Iceberg did.

To attach thumbnailz...........

Under message click on

GO ADVANCED

Come down to MANAGE ATTACHEMENTS, you can add pictures there and they show up as thumbnails. Then members with dial up can choose to open them or not.

Here's an update.
The trees are gone as of yesterday.
Tried to setup 91 today and got it right away.
However im not getting anything beyond 90 in terms of signal.

Is it an utopia to expect having signal well above 90% for all 3 birds on the Wavefrontier? If yes, then i'll stop fooling around with it and be happy with my 87% signal

Is it an utopia to expect having signal well above 90% for all 3 birds on the Wavefrontier? If yes, then i'll stop fooling around with it and be happy with my 87% signal

87 is pretty dang good for 91. When I had DBS on my T90, 119 would be near 100 but 110 would be around 75-80. I never tried 91 but the satellites (KU Band) over on that side of the arc were about what I would consider good. Little lower than my 30" motorized but enough for me to be happy :)

so 110 & 119 are around 87? What are the signals on on TP 11 & 14

Here's an update.
The trees are gone as of yesterday.
Tried to setup 91 today and got it right away.
However im not getting anything beyond 90 in terms of signal.

That is the best you can expect. Well done!!!!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts