Setup/USALS Issue?

phlatwound

SatelliteGuys Pro
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 25, 2007
Goosapeak Junction
I got my unit yesterday and have been trying to get it setup today but think I may be doing something wrong.

Current setup is STAB 90/Fortec 90cm, no switches.

First thing I did was to enter USALS info, setup on 97W, do an OTA firmware upgrade and then a factory reset. That seemed to work properly, slick deal there.

Started scanning from east to west, one sat at a time, from 72W to 125W. USALS was right on the money, and I was scanning in everything I expected to on each sat. After I got done scanning all my sats in I hit the SAT button and attempted to move to 103W (I think). It came up with no signal and I could tell by looking at my dish it was very close to the center of the arc (I am at 93W). Turns out I was on 95W.

Now, no matter what sat I select from the SAT button dropdown list my dish just stays at 95W.

If I go into Installation->Antenna Setup->Motor/Switch Setting->Satellite I can use the right/left arrows and the dish will move to whatever sat I select from that dropdown, but as soon as I exit all thw way out of the menu the dish returns to 95W.

What am I missing here?

This setup works fine with my Openbox, I think (hope) I am just overlooking something simple here but it's got me stumped.

Do you have motor turned on and set to USALS on each and every satellite in the list. I use mostly DiSEqC( I will be going setting up USALS tomorrow), but anyway I had to go to each sat individuality and set motor to DiSEqC. I had to do the same thing with my Openbox both DiSEqC and USALS.

Do you have motor turned on and set to USALS on each and every satellite in the list. I use mostly DiSEqC( I will be going setting up USALS tomorrow), but anyway I had to go to each sat individuality and set motor to DiSEqC. I had to do the same thing with my Openbox both DiSEqC and USALS.

Yes, I went through every sat and turned USALS on before I scanned them. USALS moved the dish to every sat from 72W to 125W, and I was able to scan in everything.

Think I am overlooking something real simple but not sure what it is. :confused:

Does the LED light on the motor blink when you select a different satellite?

Have you tried power cycling the receiver?

Use the "Go to X" and choose Reference. Does the motor drive to the 0 (zero) position?

If not, use the motor's manual buttons to drive to zero then perform a master reset of the motor.

Does the LED light on the motor blink when you select a different satellite?

Have you tried power cycling the receiver?

Use the "Go to X" and choose Reference. Does the motor drive to the 0 (zero) position?

If not, use the motor's manual buttons to drive to zero then perform a master reset of the motor.

Not sure about the LED blink, will check when my wife gets home.

Tried powercycling, also tried reloading the firmware, factory defaulting and starting from scratch from that point.

The weird thing is I can move the dish perfectly from the Motor/Switch setting screen, but when I exit back out of the menus it goes back to 95W.

Hook up my Openbox and it works fine.

If you are in the channel list, does the dish move if you press the left or right arrow and select a different satellite?

In the Channel list, does it display "All Satellite" or "95W"?

If you are in the channel list, does the dish move if you press the left or right arrow and select a different satellite?

In the Channel list, does it display "All Satellite" or "95W"?

From the channel list I got it to move to 93W and 83W, but not consistently, other sats came up No Signal. It displayed 95W when I started.

Had no issues stepping across the arc one sat at a time from the Motor/Switch Setting menu.

Gotta go now but I'll try again later or tomorrow, thank you for the help.

Well I just did another factory reset, then selected all Ku sats from 72W to 125W, then:

Antenna Setup -> Motor/Switch Setting

and the first sat that comes up is....drum roll please....95W (#9 of 20 I have selected).

I have decided that our Asian friends that built this one have had coded it to 95W cuz they want me to watch CCTV? :confused::D

The motor/dish is pointing at 95W, and it is receiving signal from that sat.

I haven't entered my lat/long yet, will do that now and scan a few sats and see if it works any better than before.

Still no success here. Started again from a factory default, selected all sats from 72W to 125W, went into Antenna Setup and selected USALS for all of them, then went and scanned (some with preprogrammed and some blind) all of them in, no issues there.

From that point, I will try to select a sat by going to the sat button, it will go to some sats but not others. It will ALWAYS go to 95W.

One thing I noticed that is different from my Openbox S9 is that when you press the Sat button, scroll to whatever sat you want to go to, then press OK the Channel List for that sat then appears on the screen, and doesn't go away (until you press OK), even when the dish moves to the selected sat and video appears. Maybe that is a clue to what is happening here?

I can switch the cables over to my Openbox and the dish/motor performs flawlessly, so I don't think the problem is there.

Another thing, I tried to load the new firmware again via USB but I am getting an Invalid File message. I had previously done the OTA update twice and factory reset afterwards, I think those downloads were successful but thought I would try USB just in case.

Still think I am doing something wrong but not sure what, any ideas?

Been playing with this some more off and on, it's still pretty random in being able to move the dish to a selected sat.

Was watching the VA mux on 123W, selected 125W from the sat list, waited for a bit and got the No Signal message, went and looked and it appeared the dish had gone back to it's favorite spot (95W), and then verified that it had.

So then it just let it sit for about 5 minutes and 125W popped up on the screen! The dish had moved. This is bizarre.

I guess I will move my stuff outside so I can watch this thing in real-time.

And again, just to check I swapped the cables back over to my Openbox and it works without a hitch.

Going back a few posts....

Going back a few posts....

Sorry, I forgot to mention that I did the Go to X -> Reference last night, and it does send the motor to zero position.

And that's a good thing, cuz I don't have a clue how to do a master reset of the motor. ;)

Sorry, I didn't catch that the motor was a Stab.

Stab motors require the STAB controller device or a receiver such as the Fortec Start Lifetime Ultra to reset. :eek:

Sorry, I didn't catch that the motor was a Stab.

Stab motors require the STAB controller device or a receiver such as the Fortec Start Lifetime Ultra to reset. :eek:

Well that makes sense from what I found in the STAB HH90 manual online. They talk about doing a "Recalculate", and if your receiver doesn't support that function that it requires you "connect temporarily an interface and press the remote control functions "FUNC" and "RESET".

This hillbilly is fresh out of "temporary interfaces". :D

Brian, I have used this same motor and dish setup with a couple of different receivers, and it works fine with the Openbox now, why is the reset required for this new receiver?

I have another motor I can try this on, will quit messing with this STAB if it's not gonna cooperate.

I have used this same motor and dish setup with a couple of different receivers, and it works fine with the Openbox now, why is the reset required for this new receiver?

No idea.... We have and continue to use the microHD with USALS and DiSEqC 1.2 on multiple motors, controller boxes and swap between a dozen different DVBS and S2 receivers without issue. We also have a HH90 here in the office that we have tested to see if we can replicate.

Just trying to offer a solution for something that appears to be unique to your installation. The microHD does have a recalculate feature that is typically used for DiSEqC 1.2. Just a thought, have you tried moving the motor to zero and selecting Recalculate?

Just trying to offer a solution for something that appears to be unique to your installation...Have you tried moving the motor to zero and selecting Recalculate?

I definitely appreciate your thoughts, nice to get feedback from somebody who has forgotten more than I will ever know about the sat industry in general, and this receiver in particular, you always go above and beyond what is expected or required. :)

Show you how observant I am, I hadn't even noticed the Recalc button, I never use Diseqc 1.2 since USALS (usually) works so well for dummies! :D

I'll give it a shot!

I definitely appreciate your thoughts, nice to get feedback from somebody who has forgotten more than I will ever know about the sat industry in general, and this receiver in particular, you always go above and beyond what is expected or required. :)

Show you how observant I am, I hadn't even noticed the Recalc button, I never use Diseqc 1.2 since USALS (usually) works so well for dummies! :D

I'll give it a shot!
You are far too kind with your comments. If you haven't caught it by now, this is my hobby first and job second. I am truly fortunate and blessed! Happy to help when I can. :cool:

Hope that the recalculate helps. Personally, I have never recalculated in the USALS mode, but after reading your post, it might be the option!

Initial testing indicates that the Recalculate in USALS mode DID work!

I'll torture it some more later tonight but am not seeing all the random issues I was before.

Thanks a bunch! :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)