Several rcvrs in headend system do not retain channel setting

Status
Please reply by conversation.

boomerang

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 21, 2003
Michigan
I'm sorry, but I do not know which receivers the system is using but can find out. They are not HD receivers.

I have a headend system in the gym I own with 15 receivers. After a power failure, and they are pretty frequent in our area, there are 4 receivers that will not restore back to the channel they were on. They all come back on set to Fox Sports Detroit. It's not a consistent problem either which I find curious. The system feeds our cardio equipment where our members can choose which channel they want to view. They are limited to 15 channels and when 5 are showing the same, they are unhappy and let me know. I then have to go through the process of setting them back to the correct station. It's a time-consuming and awkward process and I have unhappy members. If the power failure occurred during non-staffed hours, I rarely am aware that it even occurred.

Some information is below.

I believe it is four, but may be five receivers.
I have not tracked if it is the same receivers each time.

The outfit that built the system and installed it tells me that "it happens". If this is the case I will have to live with it. But it concerns me that not all the receivers do it. I'm hopeful that it's a setting.

I have Dish at home and am not in any way shape or form familiar with Direct's menus. I do not know how to access them in this system. I was instructed to never point the remote at the system. I fully understand why. The point is that I will have to access the menus and navigate solely from the buttons on the receiver, assuming that's "the fix".

Help?

Why not try to set the receivers to autotune to the channels you wish them to stay on? Set an Autotune for the same channel for everyday.

John

If they are old, EPG receivers (rca, thompson, something older than a D10) directv is supposed to stop supporting them (including guide data, updates, and programming) as soon as years end, and will need replacing anyways. because you cannot inform us what receivers you have i cannot confirm this would happen to you. current SD receivers in headends retain the channel settings and should never have the issue you have.

They probably are old receivers. Years ago, I didn't know that you had to to set channels and would have to go change them back a few times before I figured out the problem.

Put your rack on a 2000VA UPS and be done with it. If you separate your receivers from your modulators power-wise, and plug only the receivers into the UPS, that would extend the up-time of the UPS quite a bit. I mean, you don't need the modulators to stay online when you can't turn on your TVs.

Then again, if you plug in the modulators for your local channels, you could see what's going on locally if you had a generator to power a TV set.

A few suggestions...

#1 A good UPS battery backup on those 4 receivers should end the power cycle issue.

#2 Im not sure if this will work, but try setting up a favorites menu with only 1 channel.

#3 If they are older receivers, try buying new receivers. They should be pretty innexpensive.

Sorry, busy time of year for me and little time to get back involved in the thread.

Receivers are D12 models.

I'm going to document which receivers are acting up to establish if it is in fact the same ones. I will then try to access the menus (still uncertain if I can access and fully navigate from buttons on front of receiver) to see what I can see and if that does not do the trick the next step will be a UPS for the receivers.

d12s are supposed to come back to their original channels after power outage. you can navigate fully from the front panels - no need for a remote. in fact, you do NOT want to use a remote on a headend for obvious reasons. a while back, at the same time the viacom issue was going on, engineering sent a bad download to d12s in head ends, which resulted in many receivers changing their channels, and most of the time they ended up on the lowest channel number of their locals. also, some of the viacom channels may have gotten screwed up during the dispute. i would force a software download on each one and see how it goes from there.

Thank you very much for the information. I will be waiting for the problem to occur again so I know which receivers I need to deal with.

I never had that problem with any of my D12s. Just put in a 2000 V/A UPS, separating the receivers from the modulators power-wise, plugging only the receivers into the UPS and never worry about it again.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)