Shopping an Outdoor Smoker. Advice needed!

Smokin a brisket (trimmed :( :() and a pork shoulder today on my cheap smoker....hope it goes well *crosses fingers*

Sounds good. What size brisket and shoulder? What type of rub are you using?

I threw the packaging away, but I'm guessing the shoulder is around 3.5-4 lbs and the brisket is around 4....

For the brisket, a rubbed it down in a mixture of worchishire sauce and crushed garlic...i just threw together the dry rub (no recipe/measurements). I used a good amount of brown sugar and paprika with lesser amounts of salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne, and cumin. The mop consists of beer, a tiny bit of scotch, cider vinegar, paprika, worchishire, and crushed garlic.

For the shoulder, a put a small coat of yellow mustard and the rub consisted of the ingredients above (in different proportions....more sugar) and a little bit of dry mustard.

The mop consists of apple juice, cider vinegar, and a little bit of whitemores bbq sauce.

Hopefully the rubs turn out ok. When i prepped last night, my fiance was on the computer, so i couldn't look up any recipes.

I threw the packaging away, but I'm guessing the shoulder is around 3.5-4 lbs and the brisket is around 4....

For the brisket, a rubbed it down in a mixture of worchishire sauce and crushed garlic...i just threw together the dry rub (no recipe/measurements). I used a good amount of brown sugar and paprika with lesser amounts of salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne, and cumin. The mop consists of beer, a tiny bit of scotch, cider vinegar, paprika, worchishire, and crushed garlic.

For the shoulder, a put a small coat of yellow mustard and the rub consisted of the ingredients above (in different proportions....more sugar) and a little bit of dry mustard.

The mop consists of apple juice, cider vinegar, and a little bit of whitemores bbq sauce.

Hopefully the rubs turn out ok. When i prepped last night, my fiance was on the computer, so i couldn't look up any recipes.

4lb brisket? Most whole brisket's average about 10lbs! There actually is two parts to the brisket called the flat and point. I hope you didn't end up with the wrong type of brisket. There actually is one type that is preferred for smoking over the other.The bottom of the brisket should have a thick layer of white fat. Usually you trim it to about 1/4" thick. The two parts to the brisket should also be separated by fat through the middle.

Anyways, I tried smoking both types and had extremely different results! My 4-5 lb brisket was the toughest piece of meat I ever had and I later found out that type wasn't meant to be smoked. I did a 10lb brisket for the 4th and it was the most tender piece of meat I've ever had in my life!

Skyhi.....

How'd that smoke session go over the weekend? Did you get those torrential downpours and storms I got over the weekend? How'd you battle those with the smoker?

Skyhi.....

How'd that smoke session go over the weekend? Did you get those torrential downpours and storms I got over the weekend? How'd you battle those with the smoker?

Luckily I did my smoking on Thursday, so I didn;t have to deal with the rain (instead I dealt with the heat..:)). I think it was my most successful smoke to date. The brisket (which looked like a corned beef with a ton of fat on one side) came out very well. I cut it real thin and it was nice and tender. I pulled the shoulder and froze it. I'm looking forward to eating it though because it was literally falling apart in my hands as I was pulling it.

Did you smoke over the weekend? If you did, I'm sure it wasnt pleasant during the storms.

Luckily I did my smoking on Thursday, so I didn;t have to deal with the rain (instead I dealt with the heat..:)). I think it was my most successful smoke to date. The brisket (which looked like a corned beef with a ton of fat on one side) came out very well. I cut it real thin and it was nice and tender. I pulled the shoulder and froze it. I'm looking forward to eating it though because it was literally falling apart in my hands as I was pulling it.

Did you smoke over the weekend? If you did, I'm sure it wasnt pleasant during the storms.

No, I didn't smoke anything this weekend. I was out of town.

However, the wife went grocery shopping yesterday and got plenty of good eats including: a pork tenderloin, KC style spare ribs, salmon and a chicken. I'm sure I'll be smokin' something this week. Plus it's supposed to cool down a bit I hear...

Did my first all night smoke this past week end on the WSM. Did a 8.5 lb pork butt. Did the Mr. Brown recipe from the Smoke & Spice book, along with the Carolina Red sauce. Lit the fire at midnight, (Minion Method), and immediately put the meat on. Stayed up till around 2 AM and enjoyed several Miller Lites while the temp came up to around 230 at the lid. Felt comfortable with the vent settings and went to bed. Got up around nine thirty, checked my temp. and she was 250. Temp stayed there untill I pulled the meat at three. Meat temp was 190. Double wrapped in foil, then in a towel, and into the cooler. The wife was late getting back from shopping with her Mom,(shocker)so I had to run to Kroger and get the corn on the cob and a few other things to finish up before company started to arrive. So, I didn't have time to do any more pics of the finished product. Soaked the corn with the shucks on for about an hour. Smathered them in garlic butter and on to the grill. Pulled the pork, and let me tell you, it was hard not to start eating right then and there. Best pulled pork I have ever had. Everybdy loved it. The WSM is an awsome cooker. Next major endevor will be making my own bacon. Her a the pics I was able to take.Picasa Web Albums - Steve - All night Por...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts