Sig viewed

HDinTX

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 6, 2005
Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

I just read this on today's edition of the Sky Report. Here's the link:

MediaBiz

As long as you are in the spot beam, doesn't Dish just "throw a switch" to allow your receiver to get these channels?

If you want SVs the first thing to do is go to AntennaWeb and enter your location to see if you can receive SVs OTA.You can also try TV Fool .Then you should check TV Guide, TV Listings, Online Videos, Entertainment News and Celebrity News | TVGuide.com click on TV listings enter the information requested for your area and bring up the guide to view SVs and if you would want to receive them or not.Then if you decide you want them get a Dish Network receiver that has an OTA(ATSC) digital tuner in it or you may already have one installed in your HDTV,then connect up an OTA antenna and your done.;)

That's what I finally did and I'm very satisfied that I did it because I won't have to wait for Dish Network to add my SVs,I already have them.;):D

As long as you are in the spot beam, doesn't Dish just "throw a switch" to allow your receiver to get these channels?
nope because SV is a very definite area as defined by county so not everyone would qualify. It would be by zip code

I live in the 75801 area, which is located in the DFW DMA and 110 miles from the transmitting towers, way too far to receive OTA. However, I am 40 miles from the Tyler, Longview DMA and I can receive some of those channels OTA. Since the local cable system has enjoyed having channels from both DMAs on their system, I was hoping that the FCC's determination of the STELA SV issue might change Dish's local channel offerings in this area.

according to the FCC significantly viewed list these stations are SV in your county

KDFW, 4, Dallas, TX
KXAS-TV, 5, Fort Worth, TX (formerly WBAP)
WFAA-TV, 8, Dallas, TX
KTVT, 11, Fort Worth, TX
KLTV, 7, Tyler, TX
+KETK-TV, 56, Jacksonville, TX

so they maybe if Dish wanted to add those 2 stations

Does this new Report and Order, 10-193, from the FCC found here -> http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/FCC-10-193A1.doc

Do any thing for getting SV moving on DirecTV and DishNetwork in the US????

Before the
Federal Communications Commission
Washington, D.C. 20554

In the Matter of

Implementation of Section 203 of the Satellite Television Extension and Localism Act of 2010 (STELA)

Amendments to Section 340 of the Communications Act

Implementation of the Satellite Home Viewer Extension and Reauthorization Act of 2004 (SHVERA)

Implementation of Section 340 of the Communications Act
)
)
)
)
)
)
)
)
)
)
)
)
)
)
)
)

MB Docket No. 10-148

MB Docket No. 05-49

REPORT AND ORDER
AND ORDER ON RECONSIDERATION

Adopted: November 22, 2010 Released: November 23, 2010

By the Commission:

Table of Contents
Heading Paragraph #
I. Introduction 1
II. Background 4
III. Discussion 9
A. The STELA Directs the Commission to Create a Workable Framework That Will Enable Satellite Carriers to Offer Both the SV and Local Stations to Consumers 12
B. The STELA Eliminates the Requirement to Receive A Local Station Affiliated with the Same Network as the SV Station and Requires Instead that Subscribers Receive Local-Into-Local Service 16
C. The STELA Eliminates the “Equivalent or Entire Bandwidth” Requirement and Replaces it with an “HD Format” Requirement 24
1. “HD format” requirement applies only where a satellite carrier retransmits the SV station in HD format 28
2. “HD format” requirement applies when a local station makes itself technically and legally “available” to satellite carrier 31
3. “HD format” requirement applies to a local station’s HD multicast signal 41
D. Statutory Exceptions to the Subscriber Eligibility Limitations 45
E. Dish Petition for Further Rulemaking 48
F. Housecleaning Rule Changes 49
G. Order on Reconsideration Dismisses Pending Petition as Moot 52
IV. Conclusion 55
V. Procedural Matters 56
A. Final Regulatory Flexibility Act Analysis 56
B. Final Paperwork Reduction Act of 1995 Analysis 57
C. Congressional Review Act 58
D. Additional Information 59
VI. Ordering Clauses 60
APPENDIX A – List of Commenters
APPENDIX B – Final Rule Changes
APPENDIX C – Final Regulatory Flexibility Act Analysis

both companies are already doing it...but in a very small way
Dish is using SV to fill in markets
Directv is doing it too but there are a few cases where SV is allowed and they have done it. But they are few and far between

Agreed WRT DirecTV. But.. I was referring to the section A below.

A. The STELA Directs the Commission to Create a Workable Framework That Will Enable Satellite Carriers to Offer Both the SV and Local Stations to Consumers 12

I was hoping that this would encourage DirecTV to be more proactive.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)