Can My DISH Package be Viewed on a Streaming App?

eacalhoun

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jan 20, 2006
Morganton, NC
I have a VIP211k receiver and am wondering if my DISH package (the Welcome Pack) can be viewed on a streaming app? I have read - in some cord-cutting forums - that it can be done with an Amazon Fire streaming device - but not Roku. I have a couple of Roku devices, but would likely purchase a Fire device if it could basically take the place of additional receivers. Thanks!

You can stream on demand content with the Dish Anywhere app but my understanding is Dish doesn't stream everything unless you have a DVR with Sling Built in?

Okay, let's say my VIP211k receiver is in the living room where my wife is viewing TV directly from the 211k. I'm in the bedroom watching on a Roku device, which is receiving the stream from the Slingbox. We can watch different programs (channels) from our DISH package?

No, you are using one of the (probably component) outputs from the 211k and all outputs send out the same programming.

You need a dual tuner receiver to do what you want and I'm not sure you can do it even with the ViP222.

No, you are using one of the (probably component) outputs from the 211k and all outputs send out the same programming.

You need a dual tuner receiver to do what you want and I'm not sure you can do it even with the ViP222.

No, it's a single tuner - therefore using a Slingbox in my situation would "essentially" be the same as running a coax from the VIP 211k to the RF (coax) input of a second TV set. So, I'll pass on the Slingbox since it's not a viable option for my desired setup.

I have a VIP211k receiver and am wondering if my DISH package (the Welcome Pack) can be viewed on a streaming app? I have read - in some cord-cutting forums - that it can be done with an Amazon Fire streaming device - but not Roku. I have a couple of Roku devices, but would likely purchase a Fire device if it could basically take the place of additional receivers. Thanks!
Do you have a hard drive connected to your ViP211k, or is it a non-DVR? If you are not using it as a DVR, then getting a ViP222 (as someone else suggested earlier) to replace the ViP211k would probably be your best option. The ViP222 series gives you independent viewing on two TV's for no additional fee, but cannot be upgraded to work as DVR's. Also, you would have to purchase the ViP222 from a third-party, since they are no longer available directly from Dish.

Do you have a hard drive connected to your ViP211k, or is it a non-DVR? If you are not using it as a DVR, then getting a ViP222 (as someone else suggested earlier) to replace the ViP211k would probably be your best option. The ViP222 series gives you independent viewing on two TV's for no additional fee, but cannot be upgraded to work as DVR's. Also, you would have to purchase the ViP222 from a third-party, since they are no longer available directly from Dish.

Yep - I have an EHD connected to the 211k.

Funny..i got a replacement one from dish a few weeks ago

Funny..i got a replacement one from dish a few weeks ago
A replacement ViP222? As far as I know, they are still available as replacements for existing ViP222 users, but Dish will not sell them to someone who does not already have one. Dish's policy on this has gone back-and-forth before, so I am not sure if that is still their policy now, but it was the last time I checked.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)