Signal Strength Question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mg6035

Original poster
Sep 26, 2008
Hi all, I'm pretty new to HDTV. I got my new dish installed about a month ago and have had no problems until I recently noticed something while looking at my signal strengths and I have a couple of questions.
When I do a signal strength test I notice that on tuner 1 the readings on 99c and 103c are low, usually in the 30's and 40's. But when I check those readings on tuner 2 they are all in the 70's and 80's. My question is, why is there such a big difference in the readings when I only have one dish? Shouldn't the readings be close to each other? Also, if the readings on tuner 2 are high enough, is it critical to have the readings on tuner 1 that high also? I think it comes into play when recording one channel while watching another. Is that correct? Is this something that an alignment can fix? My readings on all of the other satellites are good, mostly in the 90's. Any suggestions?
Thanks
Michael

You can switch the coaxial cables coming into your box & see if the weak signal reading follows Tuner 1 into Tuner 2. You can also try another output on your multi-switch that goes into Tuner 2. I've read about 10 point discrepancies between tuners but never this much. You aren't using SWM technology (only one coax going into your receiver) are you?

If you have a second receiver you can see what the numbers are on that receiver.

You can switch the coaxial cables coming into your box & see if the weak signal reading follows Tuner 1 into Tuner 2. You can also try another output on your multi-switch that goes into Tuner 2. I've read about 10 point discrepancies between tuners but never this much. You aren't using SWM technology (only one coax going into your receiver) are you?

If you have a second receiver you can see what the numbers are on that receiver.

No, I have 2 cables going into the receiver. When I switched the cables the weak signal switched also. I tried changing out the BBC and could see no difference. How do I change the output on the multi-switch. And where is the multi-switch? I'm pretty much a novice with this so any help is appreciated.

Thanks

The multi switch would look something like the second picture in this link.

DIRECTV Multswitches including 6x8 and SWM Single-Wire Multiswitch

You can find it by following the four coaxial cables from your dish's lnb until you run into it. Sometimes it mounted right under the dish after the installer 'drip loops' the cables. If four cables are run directly into your house then it probably is in your attic.

I'm not saying that's the problem, but you have to start somewhere. My first multiswitch was installed outside & the unused ports were never capped; it started to fail & fry within a month. You mentioned you switched cables, did you also try switching the b-band converters?

If you find the switch first switch the two cables with their respective switch ports. Go look at the receivers readings & see if the problem is reversed. If they reversed, keep the good port connected & use one of the other ports. Don't forget to cap the old port with the extra plastic shield from the new port. If this turns out to be the problem, I'd say get a new switch.

If this doesn't fix your problem you could easily have something wrong with the second coaxile cabe & or connections. Make sure the cable is RG6 & is not damaged. Check the connectors at both the switch as well.

The multi switch would look something like the second picture in this link.

DIRECTV Multswitches including 6x8 and SWM Single-Wire Multiswitch

You can find it by following the four coaxial cables from your dish's lnb until you run into it. Sometimes it mounted right under the dish after the installer 'drip loops' the cables. If four cables are run directly into your house then it probably is in your attic.

I'm not saying that's the problem, but you have to start somewhere. My first multiswitch was installed outside & the unused ports were never capped; it started to fail & fry within a month. You mentioned you switched cables, did you also try switching the b-band converters?

If you find the switch first switch the two cables with their respective switch ports. Go look at the receivers readings & see if the problem is reversed. If they reversed, keep the good port connected & use one of the other ports. Don't forget to cap the old port with the extra plastic shield from the new port. If this turns out to be the problem, I'd say get a new switch.

If this doesn't fix your problem you could easily have something wrong with the second coaxile cabe & or connections. Make sure the cable is RG6 & is not damaged. Check the connectors at both the switch as well.

Once you exhausted all the suggestions that are laid out here such as swapping cables on the back of the receiver as well as the BBC's and finaly the switch. I would get in touch with D Customer service as this may be outside of your realm. It is more than likely a bad connector that needs ot be replaced or the cable itself. One thing to point out is did they install to an exisitng cable that was used for cable tv? If so are there any splitters in that line?

Since the op says that the dish was installed a month ago Directv should be called to fix the problem.

Good Luck

Once you exhausted all the suggestions that are laid out here such as swapping cables on the back of the receiver as well as the BBC's and finaly the switch. I would get in touch with D Customer service as this may be outside of your realm. It is more than likely a bad connector that needs ot be replaced or the cable itself. One thing to point out is did they install to an exisitng cable that was used for cable tv? If so are there any splitters in that line?

Since the op says that the dish was installed a month ago Directv should be called to fix the problem.

Good Luck

Just a quick follow up. Direct TV came out this morning to check on my low signals on tuner 1. They replaced both cables and all is fine. Signals now in the mid to upper 80's on 99c and 103c.

Thanks for the responses.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)