Silence Reporter

Kriet

Original poster
Dec 28, 2005
I'm looking for something that will search thru a list (or directory) of MP3 and report on which ones have a set amount of silence in them .... 2, 4, x seconds. I don't know if I'm loosing signal or a process is kicking off but I am getting the occasional recording that has a bunch of silence in the middle.

So far the only ways to find them are either open each one with an editor (time consuming) or note which ones are bad whilst listening to them (tedious as I'm either listening to them on an ipod in the car or on an xbox via windows media connect).

If I could get a report of the files that had say 4+ seconds of silence I'd just delete them....ones with 2-4 I'd open with the editor.

i've had the same problem

the folls at tt tried to blame it on the fact that i am using a digital fiberoptic adapter on my xm radio...i think they were just rying ro blow me off so i kept trying different things...after experimenting i tried turning off antivirus and so far (knock on wood) the problem has not reappeared in about two weeks

wtrfrdbob said:
the folls at tt tried to blame it on the fact that i am using a digital fiberoptic adapter on my xm radio...i think they were just rying ro blow me off so i kept trying different things...after experimenting i tried turning off antivirus and so far (knock on wood) the problem has not reappeared in about two weeks

That's interesting that Turning off AV would stop this problem. Which AV product did you turn off?

Also, remember that optical requires some D/A converting and bandwidth and CPU/time cycles. TT is running at HIGH CPU process level. If TT is eating up CPU cycles to encode, the Sound Card is performing A/D on the optical and pushing it back into the bus to get it out of the sound card, and AV is working on scaning the TimeTrax Capture.mp3 file. They call could be creating this silence in the middle.

I have yet to experience silence with AV and Analog line in. the only time I get weird breaks is because of signal loss due to acidental movement of the antenna.

thanks for the info, phuck nut...i have wondered for a long time about how signals get into and out of sound card...it looks like going straight into card with digital is worse than analog...by the way antivirus is avg

wtrfrdbob said:
thanks for the info, phuck nut...i have wondered for a long time about how signals get into and out of sound card...it looks like going straight into card with digital is worse than analog...by the way antivirus is avg

Its not worse - just more competition with-in the devices. The analog input still has to be driven into the device so that windows can recoord it and still control mute function to the output. Its all that "mixer" stuff that happens - which - when adding Optical I/O you are shifting the processing from the XM unit (low CPU power) to the computer/soundcard.

In all honesty with todays PCs and power - this should not really be the problem, but the TT software does run at a HIGH CPU thread and that might effect it. I would more likely blame AV software first I think.

I would suspect the AV also. I am not running any AV on my TT box...I don't really care since that is the only job I want it to do, my other machine is protected, though! I am coming in from a Radio Shack analog to optical box (which was on a close-out sale for less than $5) and feeding that to the Audigy2 over fiber, and have had no issues with silence.

The stupid Audigy only runs at 48K, so it needs to convert everything to 441 anyway. I don't know that taking it in analog direct would take anything off of the CPU, though I think the Audigy can do the conversion in hardware without sending it to the CPU. Added benefit is total ground-loop isolation. My native noise floor is about -68Db, and after final noise processing (for "keeper tracks") I can end up with a clean -90Db signal to noise.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts