Sirius channels ala-cart?

smooth28la

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 16, 2004
Can the Sirius channels be purchased without the base package?

I know you get the Muzak/CD channels for extra $5 using the online system.

It would seem to me that it would be more practical to just get a stand alone plug and play receiver with the home kit.

I want to record specialty shows on the Sirius dance channels using the PVR function of the 721 or 508.

So stand-alone solution won't work.

And I ain't paying $40 a month to DISH just to get Sirius.

It's very easy to record any source with a line out, like the sirius players have...

Connect a cable from the line out of the PNP home kit to the line in on your computer and record stuff to your hard drive.

You don't have to pay $40 a month to DISH just for the Sirius channels. You can just pay the normal $12.95 a month to Sirius and get more than just the music channels!

Well. then that's analog recording.

I want to listen to the shows through its original digital quality through the optical digital output of the DISH receiver. In addition, DISH uses twice as much bandwidth compared to the stand-alone versions.

Plus it's a lot easier to 'click and record' then having to manually start any analog recordings.

Is Sirius is receivable through FTA receivers?

I hate to tell you this, but the optical out on the DISH receiver won't give you squat over the RCA cable. Sirius isn't pumped out in 5.1 DD surround.

It's not a question of surround sound but sonic purity.

The digital output will ALWAYS give you better (sometime louder) quality than the RCA outs

I agree entirely, smooth28la. Hence thus whereby I bought my new SB Audigy 2 ZS Pro, simply for its digital audio inputs (I'm using both its coax and its optical). :D

I too wanted to eliminate as much of the "A-to-D, compress, decompress, D-to-A, analog cable, A-to-D, compress" path as possible. Not a whole lot eliminated, but it's now "A-to-D, compress, decompress, compress" basically. :)

Along that note, what about a standalone Sirius receiver (or "boom box" dock, whatever) with a digital audio output? Is there such a thing? I know nothing about Sirius hardware.

There's is a Kenwood Home Sirius receiver that has digital out.

However, we DISH subscriber actually has better signal quality than people using the traditional receivers. I've read DISH uses twice as much bandwidth for the Sirius channels than the Sirius satellites do to their own receivers.

Yes they told us on a tech chat the bandwidth for the channels. I believe it was 512kbps, but don't quote me. Also sirius actually arrives on Dish before it does on sirius.

smooth28la said:
I want to record specialty shows on the Sirius dance channels using the PVR function of the 721 or 508.
Do DIsh PVRs permit recording of the audio channels?

Yes... that's one of the main reason that keeps me with DISHNetwork and not defecting to Tivo/Directv.

I love time-shifting audio programs!

smooth28la said:
Yes... that's one of the main reason that keeps me with DISHNetwork and not defecting to Tivo/Directv.

I love time-shifting audio programs!
Hmmm. My old Dishplayer wouldn't. :mad:

viqventeur said:
Can you get anything other than music on Sirius from Dish Network? Such as Howard Stern, NFL games, etc.

No; Dish has only the 65 (or so) music channels; the 55 (or so) news/talk channels aren't on Dish. That's why I have Dish and Sirius! ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts