Slingloaded HD DVR922 at CES

I am looking forward to this box, but I was also looking forward to Slingcatcher and bought it the second it was available. It was a HUGE let down. I wanted to Sling my Dish programming from home to my HDTV at work but the image quality was (IMHO) unwatchable . After playing around with it for a few days, I returned it.

I did hear a blurb somewhere that they are working on increasing the quality but we'll see.

Hd signal to another tv away from your home through the Internet will look depending on YOUR DSL speed and quality. It does not have anyhting to do with the slingcatcher

Hd signal to another tv away from your home through the Internet will look depending on YOUR DSL speed and quality. It does not have anyhting to do with the slingcatcher

I'm using cable modems on both ends. I get about 15+mbs download and 1.2mbs upload. How much faster does it need to be to get decent video quality ? Do you have a SlingCatcher?

I'm using cable modems on both ends. I get about 15+mbs download and 1.2mbs upload. How much faster does it need to be to get decent video quality ?

I would think that the upload speeds would have to be in excess of 2mbs, ON BOTH ENDS, to have stable PQ on HD content. Was SD content bad also? What is the upload speed for your connection at work?

I would think that the upload speeds would have to be in excess of 2mbs, ON BOTH ENDS, to have stable PQ on HD content. Was SD content bad also? What is the upload speed for your connection at work?

I tried both HD and SD. It's fine on a remote computer monitor. I'll need to check at work. But in general, I think I have better than average internet speeds, so what do you need to use Slingcatcher and get good video on an HDTV a dedicated T1 line ?

Also I believe it can be improved as Sling improves their compression algorithms (contrary to the earlier comment: "It does not have anything to do with the slingcatcher")

BTW, everywhere you turn, Engadget, Gizmodo, CNET, CES on G4 etc. they are absolutely flipping over this box . It's sure to be voted a Best of CES.

A T1 is 1.5Mb both up and down. don't forget that other users are on the T1 line so your throughput will most likelly be less, I'm sure your work wouldn't be happy if you were using up all of their bandwidth. ;) Just use the SlingPlayer with a SlingBox for normal viewing, You don't have to have a SlingCatcher, which is really designed for use on your home network for the added features it has built-in.

On my home network I stream at about 3.5Mb and it is a pretty good picture full screen on my 16" 16:9 laptop. At work I can only get about .5Mb and it is a watchable picture in a window but that is about it. I mainly use it at work to steam the audio channels and turn off the video to keep the work IT geeks happy (lower bandwidth usage).

A T1 is 1.5Mb both up and down. don't forget that other users are on the T1 line so your throughput will most likelly be less, I'm sure your work wouldn't be happy if you were using up all of their bandwidth. ;)

So true:D I always loved it when an office opened a ticket for slow response time on the WAN and then I sent them a list of names of people in the office that were currently streaming audio or video content to their desktops so go blame them if you don't like it. Nice to let them know that Big Brother is watching.

A T1 is 1.5Mb both up and down. don't forget that other users are on the T1 line so your throughput will most likelly be less, I'm sure your work wouldn't be happy if you were using up all of their bandwidth. ;) Just use the SlingPlayer with a SlingBox for normal viewing, You don't have to have a SlingCatcher, which is really designed for use on your home network for the added features it has built-in.

On my home network I stream at about 3.5Mb and it is a pretty good picture full screen on my 16" 16:9 laptop. At work I can only get about .5Mb and it is a watchable picture in a window but that is about it. I mainly use it at work to steam the audio channels and turn off the video to keep the work IT geeks happy (lower bandwidth usage).

I'm the boss so I can do whatever I want. :) I guess my point is that the whole reason for SlingCatcher is so that you can Sling directly to any TV instead of having to sit at a computer,(I disagree that it's main purpose is to sling within a house), and if it won't work well using the average internet connection, what good is it? Anyway, to watch my Dish programming on a remote TV it's not much good unless they can improve the quality.

I'm the boss so I can do whatever I want. :) I guess my point is that the whole reason for SlingCatcher is so that you can Sling directly to any TV instead of having to sit at a computer,(I disagree that it's main purpose is to sling within a house), and if it won't work well using the average internet connection, what good is it? Anyway, to watch my Dish programming on a remote TV it's not much good unless they can improve the quality.

It isn't a fiunction of the Slingbox/SlingCatcher, it is a function of your Internet connection. Video demands a certain amount of bandwidth, if your Internet connection can't provide it you won't get good video. Many have very good video with their 10M upload FIOS connections. Maybe if you're the boss you shouldn't be so cheap and get bigger pipes ;)

I'm using cable modems on both ends. I get about 15+mbs download and 1.2mbs upload. How much faster does it need to be to get decent video quality ? Do you have a SlingCatcher?

Yes I do I have the Slingbox PRO-HD and it works fine for me. I use it at my house in knoxville,tn and I have my setup in Los Angeles Calif. No issues with it exept sometimes the service goes down in Tenn but I think it is cause the there is a power outage in tenn or in calif I get a 1.5 upload and a 10 download on both ends through Comcasty but when it gets in the evenin in tenn then 3 hrs later in calif the speeds slows down alittle

Why do they need approval? It's an app that runs on a phone that has an unlimited data plan. As I said, I have no problem running SlingPlayer on a Windows Mobile ATT phone on their 3G network. Why would the iPhone be different?

There is good reason to believe that AT&T might limit use of the player over 3G. The tethering app from NullRiver called "NetShare" was pulled from the iPhone app store for presumably the same reason. AT&T is always trying to nickel and dime their customers.