small complaint about blockbuster

RT-Cat

"My person-well trained"
Original poster
May 30, 2011
Cold, Cold,Michigan USA
I really like the one disk at a time and the channels I get for what it costs. But I finally found something that I do not like: The new blue ray disks are "rental" disks and only have the barebones movie on them. Any extras, no. Bummer.

Meow.

Yeah some studios like Warner make separate rental copies of the bluray disks. The will actually have the word rental printed on the disk in big letters. These often have extra previews that you can't skip and reduced or no extras.

I didn't personally rent this one but according to people on another forum the latest Twilight rental bluray didn't even have lossless sound. The purchased version comes with DTS-Master HD 5.1 and the rental version only came with compressed DD 5.1. That is the first time I have heard of the actual content of the movie being changed for renters but it is a bad sign for people like myself who refuse to buy movies now. I only watch them once or twice and with cheap rental options like Netflix and Blockbuster by mail it seems like a waste of money to buy.

This is sad for me because I recently put a lot of money into a new sound system. For me the audio advantage of bluray is just as big as the picture quality. Nothing else can touch it.

I think Blockbuster@Home is a great value since I still view it as being free (I already had "Platinum" before they added this feature), but if I were paying for the service as a stand alone, I would be a little bothered by this:
Picture 13.jpg

I think Blockbuster@Home is a great value since I still view it as being free (I already had "Platinum" before they added this feature), but if I were paying for the service as a stand alone, I would be a little bothered by this:View attachment 75259
Yea, I look at getting discs by mail the same way. It has allowed me to drop the disc plan I had with Netflix (still have streaming though) actually saving some money! I'm lucky in that I live really close to a BB store. So I get the latest movies by doing trade-ins. Otherwise, as a stand-alone mail order only service, BB would be pathetic.

I regularly receive discs that were labeled as "Short Wait", so that doesn't really concern me. I wouldn't plan on getting "Hugo" anytime soon though.

I really like the one disk at a time and the channels I get for what it costs. But I finally found something that I do not like: The new blue ray disks are "rental" disks and only have the barebones movie on them. Any extras, no. Bummer.

Meow.
I've gotten discs labeled 'Rental' and the extras have been available. The Adjustment Bureau from last week was the last one I remember like that. Conversely, I have received some discs not labeled 'Rental' where the extras weren't available...

I've gotten discs labeled 'Rental' and the extras have been available. The Adjustment Bureau from last week was the last one I remember like that. Conversely, I have received some discs not labeled 'Rental' where the extras weren't available...
Interesting. I only noticed this because the disk menu listed an extended version of the movie. I tried that version and that is how I noticed no "extras." Also have found some of the "you are locked into previews" can be dumped by fast forwarding through them.

RT.

Just wondering, I am having my first DVD shipped out today. It was not first on my list and the other movies ahead it did not have a wait list?

Last edited:
Just wondering, I am having my first DVD shipped out today. It was not first on my list and the other movies ahead it did not have a wait list?

I have had the same thing happen many times. I'll even get shipped movies that show a wait (normally short wait, but at least once a long wait was shipped to me), and sometimes it bypasses available titles. I know I'm probably not as high-maintenance as other people but I figure if it is in my queue I do want to watch it so I don't complain if they don't send me my first choice. Now if they start sending me random titles I don't want, that's a whole other story. LOL

Coach Knight said:
I have had the same thing happen many times. I'll even get shipped movies that show a wait (normally short wait, but at least once a long wait was shipped to me), and sometimes it bypasses available titles. I know I'm probably not as high-maintenance as other people but I figure if it is in my queue I do want to watch it so I don't complain if they don't send me my first choice. Now if they start sending me random titles I don't want, that's a whole other story. LOL

Thanks for the update, yea not a big deal just thought it was odd :)

I see extras on BB and Netflix DVDs...

Well well. I just exchanged Adventures of TinTin (which had extras) for Hop (which didn't). Hop has no extras at all other than four previews. :( It also had a big "RENTAL" printed across the bottom of the front cover, so I was warned.

Need some advice on a disc screw-up

Blockbuster@Home website

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)