So is Dish now officially the HD leader?

Is this fight just between the satellite providers? Because FIOS still has more HD than those two services, especially in the realm of premium channels in HD.

DirecTV was the HD leader for like a minute if that. But I don't count PPV channels and they had/have like 15 of them in HD and put that into their count. RSN's shouldn't really count either because if I live in Florida (which I do) and I want to watch a game on FSN Detroit, even with the sports package, that channel is blacked out during the game. Let's say it is a hockey game. I actually need to get center ice to be able to watch that Redwings game on FSN Detroit. So how can they coun't the RSNS?

If you want to get technical, FIOS has the RSNs in all their markets. You just don't get everybody's RSNs from across the nation. So you only count a channel in the HD count if all customers get it? To heck with that. Watching a channel where EVERYTHING goood is blacked out is not a channel at all.

A count should be done by taking a specific household and laying out what channels they would get with their local cable company, FIOS, DirecTV or Dish. In my case I have yet another cable company option but most areas wtih FIOS are areas where FIOS is the fourth option.

You look at those providers and say, "what do they offer me in HD?"
FIOS wins. Seriously, Dish may offer you an RSN in HD but everything good is blocked out. Center Ice is like PPV. You cannot count that in an HD count.

So, the real winner is FIOS.

But in how many markets you can get it today, whereas that's not the case with the satellite providers.

The D* people can't even decide if the HR23 actually has better PQ than the rest of the HR2x models.
Yea whats that all about?
I can't say my 722 has any better PQ then any of my other E* receivers.
They are all the same.
So now D* can't make their HD/DVRs produce the same PQ as each other?
Nice.:rolleyes:

You want to count channels everyone can get but not providers...:confused:

No, I was asking if this thread was just Dish vs DirecTV or if it is including other providers. FIOS is the leader in HD and has been since last summer.

Can we talk about FIOS or is it just DirecTV vs. Dish Network, neither of which is the true HD leader?

Not if you have Turbo HD, then you get shafted by Dish!!!
So get a Classic pack and you won't get shafted.
Sorry but If you got all the same HD channels in your Turbo Packs ,as I do in my Classic Packs, Then I would be Bitching . I pay more then you , so why should you have the same HD as me.
See it works both ways.:p

Yea whats that all about?
I can't say my 722 has any better PQ then any of my other E* receivers.
They are all the same.
So now D* can't make their HD/DVRs produce the same PQ as each other?
Nice.:rolleyes:
As I have heard it explained, there is some different hardware in the 23 that gives you the difference.
What exactly, I am not sure, and that may not be correct.

So get a Classic pack and you won't get shafted.
Sorry but If you got all the same HD channels in your Turbo Packs ,as I do in my Classic Packs, Then I would be Bitching . I pay more then you , so why should you have the same HD as me.
See it works both ways.:p
But you would also get SD channels that he wouldnt get for your extra money.
The Turbo HD packages were a good idea, just poorly implemented IMO

But in how many markets you can get it today, whereas that's not the case with the satellite providers.

OK, so is this thread just about Dish vs. DirecTV?

Sitting right here in my house I have the option of five providers. Of those providers, FIOS offers the most HD. Not Dish. Not DirecTV (which I also subscribe to). Not Knology. Not Bright House Networks.

I personally can get more HD from FIOS, and I do, then any of the other providers. FIOS is the HD leader.

If your thread is just about the satellite providers, fine. But if it includes all providers than I am making a very valid point.

It is a lie any way you slice it for DirecTV or Dish to say they are the HD leader. Sure, you may live in Wyoming where there is no cable company out in BFE, so you decide between these two. But I would say that you have to compare the satellite companies to cable on a case by case basis.

You could say that in BFE, Wyoming, DirecTV is the HD leader. But you cannot say in Pinellas County, Florida, that DirecTV is the HD leader. Because they are not!

But you would also get SD channels that he wouldnt get for your extra money.
The Turbo HD packages were a good idea, just poorly implemented IMO
Like I said , Subscribe to a Classic pack.
Classic 100 doesn't have all the channels I want either.
So instead of pissing and moaning about it ,I subscribe to the Classic 250.
This package has what I want in it.
Thats why there choices. Maybe some Turbo customers are Happy with whats in their HD line up. If they weren't they'ed switch providers or switch to a package that suits their needs.

Like I said , Subscribe to a Classic pack.
Classic 100 doesn't have all the channels I want either.
So instead of pissing and moaning about it ,I subscribe to the Classic 250.
This package has what I want in it.
Thats why there choices. Maybe some Turbo customers are Happy with whats in their HD line up. If they weren't they'ed switch providers or switch to a package that suits their needs.
Oh, I agree. If what you want is not in your package, by all means change to one that does. My point was, you shouldnt be mad if a Turbo HD sub got all of the HD that you would get for less money, since you get quite a few channels that they do not get on top of that
That, and I would bet that many thought that for HD, Turbo would be all that they needed (whether they should have or not). Just my opinion.

Oh, I agree. If what you want is not in your package, by all means change to one that does. My point was, you shouldnt be mad that a Turbo HD sub gets all of the HD that you would get for less money, since you get quite a few channels that they do not get on top of that
That, and I would bet that many thought that for HD, Turbo would be all that they needed (whether they should have or not). Just my opinion.
. I see what everyone is saying. But I bet only a very small % have or had any intrest in HD only packs. Most people still need their SD and music channels.
HD Absolute pack only worked for me when I used D* for 90% of my TV service.. Turbo would never suit me even if all the HD channels were present.

It maybe time to buy some stock in tissues.:p:D
1874251983_ea986573d3.jpg

Be carefully do you really want to see grown men crying. With to much of this we will have many D* fan boys crying!!!:p:D:D
Or worst yet they will tell us so more fantasy story's.:eek:
Dish takes over the lead in basic national HD for the first time in over a year and you Dish fanboys are gloating like a child that went to Disneyland for the first time.

Honestly, with the dismal quarters Dish has had and probably their worst one yet to come (losing more subs than just about any provider), I guess when something good does finally occur you fan boys think it is the best thing since the invention of sliced bread.

Seriously, I am glad that you guys got all of these HD channels. Healthy competition is good for both providers. Lets face it, Dish was not providing much in the way of competition lately, so maybe this is the first step in Direct stepping up a little as well.

Out of the HD channels that you guys got that Direct does not have yet, there are only 2 I want. The others like BET and WFN, ex, I will not watch those at all. The two I want are Travel and WGN (WGN I don't need as much since I can see just about every Cubs game in HD anyway. In fact I can watch more Cub games in HD than nationwide Dish subs can watch).

Although Dish does have more real national HD channels than Direct now, it still comes down to which provider is best for each individual. Basically, which one provides the package you want at the price you are willing to pay. For some, premiums are important and Dish is the leader in this field. For some cheaper package options are a priority and Dish lead here as well. For others, sports is their main focus, and Direct is the leader in this realm. Also, once people start adding equipment and packages, Direct becomes the better price deal in many situations as well. People may also look at which provider gives them the best local offerings in both SD and HD.

For me personally, although Dish has 2 HD channels that I want that Direct does not have, Direct still is the best option for me. I am quite happy. First I pay less with my setup with Direct than I would for a comparable setup with Dish. Direct offers packages that I watch that Dish does not even offer. For my particular packages, I actually get more HD with Direct than I would with Dish. I also have more local HD with Direct than with Dish (8 to 6).

Come on D* can't even figure out how to make basic functions work on a DVR.:rolleyes::p
Have you ever owned an HR?

Yes, the VIPs do perform better and offer some better features than the HRs. As far as interactive features, the HRs offer way more than the VIPs.

The only issue(s) I have had with my HR occured due to a CE I downloaded last week and with the update this week the problem seems to be fixed. So performance is fine.

Last edited:
Dish takes over the lead in basic national HD for the first time in over a year and you Dish fanboys are gloating like a child that went to Disneyland for the first time.
To be fair, the same thing happened in reverse when D* took the lead a while ago. It is all in good fun for the most part:up

Gloating is such an ugly word,
I'd like to call it ............. WELL GLOATING I GUESS !!!
HA HA HA HA ,
FINALLY VICTORY :D:D:D

Sorry couldn't help it.;):)

:)

LOL....Dont want this to be a Direct/Dish War...but I I think thats were it could go. I think the Dish HD picture is equal to Direct...Call me crazy :)

I'll go so far as to say that I think the Dish PQ is higher then DirecTV. Nothing scientific but I've had both and prefer Dish.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)