Some Dish Network News (July 5, 2006)

well i'm in the stl market and called the distributor to order the dishes yesterday, hope we get them soon... i have many many customers waiting on this... I live too far south of STL to pick up OTA very good

So they announce dishes becoming available starting 6/30, channels launching July 6 and as of July 7 they can't even put a request in the computer that a customer wants to get on a list for the dish?

At this rate it's not looking good for us in the Indy market who are going to have to wait for all of the Detroit and St Louis customers to get service.

What about those that have their receiver go bad? If they have to buy a new one, then they have to buy the higher priced package to continue getting HD.

I am in the Detroit market and ordered a Dish 500 Plus upgrade for HD locals on 118.7 today. I could have had it Tuesday but I decided to wait until Sat.

I called the tech support and got a very nice guy but he had a hard time figuring out how to enter the order. He put me on hold so long I thought he went to lunch but when he came back he was very apologetic and said he would waive the $59 upgrade charge.

I wanted to upgrade a 942 to a 622 but he said I couldn't because I had already upgraded one. I think this is wrong and they are now allowing multiple upgrades but one thing at a time.

I just had a Dish 1000 and VIP 622 installed about 2-3 months ago in St Louis, MO . Now I find out to get local HDTV I need a different Dish 1000. I was wondering if Dish would install the new Dish 1000 without charge or will I have to pay again? I hope not.

SouthRider said:
Scott,

I am considering upgrading my 942 to a 622. They called last week to offer the $199 upgrade with $200 of rebates & credits. I currently have a Superdish & a Dish 500 to get SD, HD, Voom, and locals.

I am in the New Orleans DMA (Covington, LA ) Will the phasing out of Superdish require it's replacement with a Dish 1000? I keep hearing bad things about signal strength with the 1000.

I had hoped that upgrading would only require a receiver swap since the install of my 942 took them 6 trips to my home, and the final work had to be done by myself.

DISH is letting the quality of the installation force give them a bad name. It has me hesitating to upgrade. I keep reading & hearing horror stories about bad installs. That's all my in-laws talked about on Father's day around the dinner table, and they are just average Joe consumers.

You live in Covington? We are living in an area where every Joe is suddenly a tech. I bet some really bad installs were done by fly by night operations. My brother in Covington is getting dish and I don't see how except there is a small break between two trees. It is working for him but for how long? He is buried in trees.

I just called this morning and ordered my 500+ upgrade they scheduled me for Thursday 7/13 12pm to 5pm. I get a great signal for all my OTA channels but I still would like the LIL for dual recording purposes.

It is working for him but for how long? He is buried in trees.
Are you forgetting that the dish is actually looking 22 degrees higher than where most people think it is?

Here, our elevation is 43, which means that as long as a 50' tree is more than 50' from the dish, it's not an issue. Down south, the elevations are even higher, so less horizontal distance is needed.

I often get perfect LOS at places where people thought they had NO chance. Typical case is a 50-60 foot house that's oriented north-south. Dish on roof gives you 10' up, house & clearing around it gives you 70-80 feet out, which means the tree needs to be nearly 100' high before you're in trouble.

rmoore3d said:
I am in the Detroit market and ordered a Dish 500 Plus upgrade for HD locals on 118.7 today. I could have had it Tuesday but I decided to wait until Sat.

I called the tech support and got a very nice guy but he had a hard time figuring out how to enter the order. He put me on hold so long I thought he went to lunch but when he came back he was very apologetic and said he would waive the $59 upgrade charge.

I wanted to upgrade a 942 to a 622 but he said I couldn't because I had already upgraded one. I think this is wrong and they are now allowing multiple upgrades but one thing at a time.

Same thing. I called for upgrade to get Detroit locals and got it for free. Mine is also next Saturday.

you guys do know that if you get a dish 500 plus you'll ned a second dish still pointed at 129 or 61.5 If you get a dish 100 plus you only need 1 dish

just an FYI

BFG said:
you guys do know that if you get a dish 500 plus you'll ned a second dish still pointed at 129 or 61.5 If you get a dish 100 plus you only need 1 dish

just an FYI

I am in the Detroit area, scheduled for a 622 install on the 14th of July...I'm assuming they will put in a 1000+... but I already have a 61.5. Should I keep the 61.5, or assume that the 1000+ will give me everything I would want - and with a good signal strength.

Whats up with the Voom Kung fu Channels.. It no longer has listings(just says movie) Is a change in the works?

I currently have SuperDish121. I remebered there is supposed a conversion kit available to convert SuperDish121 to Dish500+ or 1000+, are those kit available now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmoore3d

Typical Dish, they called to verify Sat appointment and I asked if they had the Dish 500+. The responce was "Oh crap, we don't have those yet" . I suggested that since that is the only reason they were coming out we should probably reschedule. I set it up for the next Sat, hopefully they will get the dish by then

I can't believe how active this forum is. I had to go back 4 pages to get to a 3 day old post

No, they won't take away a Voom channel to add Food, etc. Dish has plenty capacity, for now. Voom does not allow anyone to pick and choose their offerings, anyway. Now, it's all or nothing.

LuckyCat- I suggest you insist on keeping your 61.5. I would literally refuse to allow him to remove or re aim that dish, or to even approach my roof with anything other than a 500 under his arm. It might help to be sitting on a sack of seed cleaning your shotgun as you explain this to him. ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)