Sony announces BDP-S350, BDP-S550: first new Blu-ray players since the fall of HD DVD

Poke

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Dec 3, 2003
OK
Sony announces BDP-S350, BDP-S550: first new Blu-ray players since the fall of HD DVD - Engadget HD

Those waiting for the next generation of Blu-ray players, here you go: Sony's got two new ones for you today, the BDP-S350 and BDP-S550. Both feature BD-Live (and thus Ethernet) and USB (for external) storage and PiP (BonusView), while the S550 has 7.1 discrete analog outputs and 1GB of onboard storage. As for the rest of the specs, well, expect TrueHD and Dolby Digital Plus (and DTS-HD MA & HR in the S550), AVCHD and xvYCC color support, and, of course 1080 60/24p.

The S350 will hit for $400 this summer, while the S550 will run you $500 this fall.

Yeah most other players should be able to be update to 2.0..

Poke- I gather you mean redesigned and re-released with Ethernet ports.

Is there any feature that the 550 doesn't have?

Alright! Let the flood of new profile 2.0 players begin. Good price points.

With the format war over, and thus there no longer being an incentive or reason to release players that are fully 2.0 compliant and to drop the price, what is Sony thinking? What's next, prices on BD software dropping? :rolleyes:

There is competition between companies making Blu-ray players. Price and features.

And studios compete with each other, putting downward pressure on prices.

Alright! Let the flood of new profile 2.0 players begin. Good price points.
In all due respect you call $400-$500 good proce points. As it has been said so many times before here in these forums BD has no incentive to lower prices. This thread is proof.

There is competition between companies making Blu-ray players. Price and features.

And studios compete with each other, putting downward pressure on prices.
There is going to be an extended time period where BD companies pause as a whole and try to recoup money lost due to the format war.

In all due respect you call $400-$500 good proce points. As it has been said so many times before here in these forums BD has no incentive to lower prices. This thread is proof.

In spite of my sarcastic remark above, I do consider these good price points given that they are including all these added features at the price of most current players. These prices are also the announced MSRP; actual prices will vary if you know how to shop, or wait a few months for a drop. Obviously, these are still being priced and marketed has higher end home entertainment equipment and not for the masses... yet.

Looks like the 350 will ship with profile 1.1 and be firmwared to 2.0 later in the year. :(

The 550 will ship with profile 2.0

The Digital Bits - Celebrating Film in the Digital Age
Team this is not directed at you but with the war over why can't BD get their act togather and release only 2.0 profile players. I half way understand rushing an incomplete product to battle during a war. But now what is the excuse???

They have no excuse except incompotence.

Because Live(2.0) doesn't replace Bonus view(1.1). They are both meant to be an option. Low end (and for those who do not have a fast internet) players are 1.1. Most portables, with no real ability to be connected to the internet, will be 1.1. Did you want your Car Blu-ray to have to support Live?

If I read the full announcement (available elsewhere) correctly, the 350 may not have 1G of memory. But will have a slot for you to add memory if you wish to upgrade to Live support.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)