SOund Advice

IT t is not the same information twice but the making of a complete picture.
Correct.
And this is the picture you get. Are you happy with it?

Diogen.

Attachments

• combing.jpg
    combing.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 128
We may be cross talking. My point has to do with the resolution of the image. Yours has to do with the 60 fields comprising of 60 different parts of a second which do not paint a good still from sequential 2 fields combined. In a moving image our eyes and brain anticipate transitions, because part of the image is always on the screen interlacing is in many cases more appealing. 120Hz and lower refresh rates are trying to improve this image.

And thanks for both of you in your persistance. Often us old guys go brain dead. So getting back to the topic. If one chose HDVD as source machine and we were sending that information to a fixed pixel display wouldn't it be better to have one of the more expensive units that output 1080p? In most if not all cases shouldn't progressive source material work better to a digital display than interlaced? Does HDVD do AVCHD? Again thanks for your patience.:D

...wouldn't it be better to have one of the more expensive units that output 1080p?
To get a piece of mind - Yes.
In most if not all cases shouldn't progressive source material work better to a digital display than interlaced?
In theory - Yes.
But I believe there are so many places the video stream can be - and gets - "screwed",
the difference between interlaced and progressive transmission is not the biggest problem.
Does HDVD do AVCHD? Again thanks for your patience.:D
AVC (or H.264) is one of the codecs used to encode movies in both formats, HD and BD.
It is a mandatory codec, i.e. any HD/BD player can play H.264 encoded material.
Many believe it is at least as good as VC-1, and both - better than MPEG-2.

Diogen.

If I record an AVCHD program on a Sony or Panasonic camcorder, burn it to a minus-R disc will it play on a HDVD?

If I record an AVCHD program on a Sony or Panasonic camcorder, burn it to a minus-R disc will it play on a HDVD?
I don't know.
IIRC, AVCHD recordings made on the latest Sony camcorder will play on a Blu-ray player.

One of the differences between HD and BD is how the video stream is formatted:
BD uses Transport streams, HD - Program streams (regardless of encoding codec used).

Today's SoC players can do both streams.
Whether a particular player will do it - you won't know until tested.

Diogen.

While I'm not a candidate for either HD format now, I think that a PS3 would make the most sense to me. One of the issues with having a war is that independent movie makers and others are sitting on the sidelines. I'm not sure that it wouldn't be better to have a peaceful co-existence than the current status of the products.

PS3 should play them without problems. And so will a computer.
There are not too many AVC authoring tools available yet. But that certainly will change.
Doing TS->PS conversion of MPEG-2 HD stream is a piece of cake, can be done with free
packages (see doom9) and in most cases involves only null packet stripping.

Diogen.

So is Gregg saying the XBR4/5 don't do 5:5 for 24p? They are essentially doing 3:2 pulldown and doubling?
Just looked for a few minutes through the latest Home Theater magazine. They review a few 120Hz LCD panels, including XBR4.

In a small insert the reviewer claims to hate interpolated frames the Samsung and Sony do the most.
And drops a rhetoric question: Where is 5:5? I guess the Sony XBR4 doesn't have it...

Diogen.

I just talked to the JVC rep yesterday. He confirmed what I was thinking and Gregg was saying with fixed pixel displays, 3:2 pulldown and double 60.

S~

Just looked for a few minutes through the latest Home Theater magazine. They review a few 120Hz LCD panels, including XBR4.

In a small insert the reviewer claims to hate interpolated frames the Samsung and Sony do the most.
And drops a rhetoric question: Where is 5:5? I guess the Sony XBR4 doesn't have it...

Diogen.

The online review does not say that: Home Theater: Sony Bravia KDL-46XBR4 LCD Digital Color TV

Motionflow adds either one interpolated frame for1080p/60 sources or four interpolated frames for 1080p/24 sources to each source frame to reach the 120Hz refresh rate required by the set's 120Hz operation. If you turn the Motion Enhancer off, each source frame is simply repeated as many times as needed to get to 120Hz, with no interpolation.

Perhaps it was updated after the issue went to print. Sony has said turning off motion flow does 5:5 which the article admits happens.

Except for fast motion is there anyone here who can tell the differance between a 1920x1080i full frame (this includes both the even and odd scan lines) and 1920x1080p full frame? While the movie or video is playing?

As I said, it wasn't in the review of the set itself.
It was an insert were the reviewer was talking about the topic in general (actually, it was more bitching than talking).

BTW, this is not exactly encouraging
Sony's processing performed much better, however, when converting 1080i sources to the set's 1080p resolution. It still did not recognize and deal with 3/2 pulldown, but it did perform the deinterlacing properly and only rarely showed video processing artifacts with a 1080i or 720p source.

Diogen.

BTW, this is not exactly encouraging
Diogen.

I agree, it makes 24p input very important. The less processing the better. Having the player take 24p, change it to 1080i or 1080p then having to have to TV set detect the 24p and reverse the whole process is just asking for trouble.

I agree, it makes 24p input very important. The less processing the better. Having the player take 24p, change it to 1080i or 1080p then having to have to TV set detect the 24p and reverse the whole process is just asking for trouble.

I know my Mitsubishi 57732 does a lot better when I toggle the film mode from auto to off when i input 1080p24 to it. I don't know why 1080p60 sets even bother to have a film mode since the 3:2 pulldown was already done for them.

The 120Hz has to be the biggest load of crap ever. Kudos to Sony for actually doing a 5:5 cadence rather than doubling 3:2 (*cough* Sharp). Major props to Pioneer for doing a 3:3 at 72Hz better than everyone else does 120Hz.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)