Why does PS3 sound like a Jumbo Jet taking off?

sounds like an issue with your PS3, mine only on rare occasion gets loud enough to even notice...

People in that AVS thread are putting them in underneath their floors (yes cutting the floor) or hiding them in closets because they are SO loud!

Funny- I only read about how loud the 360 is. Not many complaints about the PS3.

Sounds like people have some broken PS3's. I had a 360 and it even wasn't very loud like others were saying, but my PS3 is definately not loud.

Maybe these people have some superb hearing. Remind me not to whisper by them.

(Gosh, did I just defend the PS3 or just a sony product in general?)

I cannot hear mine running at all and it's in an open entertainment stand.
I cannot provide a link, but I do remember this discussion several months ago and someone indicated that some PS3's had 5 blade fans(quiet) as opposed to 3 blade fans (loud). If still possible,I would return the unit for another. Not sure if it's widespread problem or not.

Yeah... the thread/article should be titled "Why does MY PS3 sound like a jumbo jet?"

I've never found mine to be loud.

My Xbox 360/HD DVD add-on sound like a jumbo jet. My PS3, not so much. In fact the only time it's audible over the background noise is after several hours of Folding at Home.

If your PS3 fan is above a whisper during normal operation, its fan is probably defective.

Funny there are a lot of varying opinions on how loud it is. Even more hypocritical is how some of the sp called "blueblood audiophiles" that criticize Transformers for only being DD+ 5.1 are the same ones saying "just turn up the volume" to cover up the noise. Sounds like the J6pack audiophile solution to me! :haha

Last edited:
PS3 though, can be pretty loud when in tight quarters. Put mine in an open area though and never heard a peep again.

As for the 360 making noise, I remember lots of complaints about that during it's first year.

A lot of people's 360's arn't making any noise at all, of course those 3 red lights might have something to do with it. ;)

Even with the PS3 fan on its lowest setting I can still hear my Dish 622DVR over it -- and the DVR is OFF! The PS3 is very quiet -- especially if you give it enough ventilation. But if you put it inside of a cabinet or block one side of the PS3 then the fan will shift into the 2nd or 3rd speed and then the fan does indeed get loud.

Having said that, the PS3 is still quiter on the first fan setting then the Dish DVR especially when you are recording two shows and watching a third. Oboy, talk about LOUD.

Now as for Transformers not having a lossless audio track -- someone with a little more knowledge then me will have to explain why a DolbyTrueHD could not have been put on the disc? You could of moved the features to a second disk.

Seems that is what they are going to do with Spiderman3. And not only will everything be in glorious HD including the extras but they are also including a lossless sound track with the main feature.

One of you HD-DVD fans will have to explain why the biggest release on HD-DVD this fall did not provide you with a second disk for features and a true lossless audio track for your complete enjoyment. And don't try to sell me on the idea that DD+ 5.1 is better then a lossless codec -- because anyone with a lick of sense will know that is pure BS!

Oh yeah, I forgot to add this -- I can wait until the deal with HD-DVD is up to get Transformers on BD. It will probably be the first title released on BD once this dead-end deal goes dormant!:D

Even with the PS3 fan on its lowest setting I can still hear my Dish 622DVR over it -- and the DVR is OFF! The PS3 is very quiet -- especially if you give it enough ventilation. But if you put it inside of a cabinet or block one side of the PS3 then the fan will shift into the 2nd or 3rd speed and then the fan does indeed get loud.

Having said that, the PS3 is still quiter on the first fan setting then the Dish DVR especially when you are recording two shows and watching a third. Oboy, talk about LOUD.

Now as for Transformers not having a lossless audio track -- someone with a little more knowledge then me will have to explain why a DolbyTrueHD could not have been put on the disc? You could of moved the features to a second disk.

Seems that is what they are going to do with Spiderman3. And not only will everything be in glorious HD including the extras but they are also including a lossless sound track with the main feature.

One of you HD-DVD fans will have to explain why the biggest release on HD-DVD this fall did not provide you with a second disk for features and a true lossless audio track for your complete enjoyment. And don't try to sell me on the idea that DD+ 5.1 is better then a lossless codec -- because anyone with a lick of sense will know that is pure BS!

Before one of the HD Zealots shoots you down harshly, the Transformers HD-DVD did come in a 2 disk set. Which makes the reason even worse why they couldn't give a lossless track