Question on PS3

yellowcanary73

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Mar 12, 2006
I have the Panny BD10,Toshiba XA2,A2 and just bought the A35 but have been really disappointed with its performance may return to BB before 30 days up.I'm thinking of getting a PS3 to go along with my XA2 and moving the Panny BD10 into the bedroom with the A2 both are on Panny plasma my main concern is have heard the PS3 is noisy and runs very warm and may be setting above the new Onkyo 705 which also is said to run warm.Also how is the PS3 on playing CD and other music formats.
Here is the stand that I use
Any input would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 5902302_ba.jpg
    5902302_ba.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 201
  • 5902302_ra.jpg
    5902302_ra.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 197
  • 7705628cv1a.jpg
    7705628cv1a.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 197
Do you want the PS3 to play games or just watch movies? If just movies, I think you could do better with a stanalone that will allow you to bitstream audio or send PCM to that sweet 705 reciever. The PS3 does not bitstream the HD audio. For some that is not an issue. But, if you want the 705 to decode the audio, you're out of luck with the PS3. Look at the Panasonic 30 or the Samsung 1400 (my personal favorite).

Last edited:
I don't think PS3 noise is a big deal. I can only hear mine if it's not actually playing any kind of media. (I keep mine off when not in use). And yes, since it does have a hard drive it does run a little warm, but it doesn't feel as warm as some DVRs I've had from my cable co. and Dish. I personally, for the sake of protecting your investment, would not put an HDD-based component on top of an AV receiver, especially one known to run particularly warm. Can you fit them side-by-side in that stand?

And finally, I find CD playback to be excellent! I was really blown away when compared to a decent 5-disc DVD changer I have. I also love the visuals the PS3 outputs. Another thing I like is I just put 25 of my favorite CDs (I could fit more) on the PS3 hard drive so it acts like a jukebox. You can also stream media through the PS3 from your PC. My wireless network however is too buggy unfortunately to make it worth the trouble.

You should look into get a 20GB or 60GB PS3 since you mention CD playback is important. Those models also have SACD support which was removed in the later 40GB and 80GB revisions.

Do you want the PS3 to play games or just watch movies? If just movies, I think you could do better with a stanalone that will allow you to bitstream audio or send PCM to that sweet 705 reciever. The PS3 does not bitstream. For some that is not an issue. But, if you want the 705 to decode the audio, you're out of luck with the PS3. Look at the Panasonic 30 or the Samsung 1400 (my personal favorite).

Just to clarify, the PS3 will bitstream DD and DTS, at least via optical. It sends DD TrueHD and PCM via LPCM over HDMI. The question is, will the Onkyo 705 pass the LPCM track? (I assume it does if it also decodes the bitstreams).

EDIT: after doing some research I found that the 705 will process the PCM over HDMI from the PS3.

Last edited:
You should look into get a 20GB or 60GB PS3 since you mention CD playback is important. Those models also have SACD support which was removed in the later 40GB and 80GB revisions.

You might only be able to find the 20GB or 60GB on Ebay or Craigslist, as they are no longer made for retail sale. SACD support only matters if you ever bought any of Sony's proprietary SACDs (or intend on buying them).

I havea PS 3 that i bought for Blu ray only (though the kids discovered it). Sound during playback is not an issue.

I have the Panny BD10,Toshiba XA2,A2 and just bought the A35 but have been really disappointed with its performance may return to BB before 30 days up.I'm thinking of getting a PS3 to go along with my XA2 and moving the Panny BD10 into the bedroom with the A2 both are on Panny plasma my main concern is have heard the PS3 is noisy and runs very warm and may be setting above the new Onkyo 705 which also is said to run warm.Also how is the PS3 on playing CD and other music formats.
Here is the stand that I use
Any input would be appreciated.
Maybe you got a faulty HD-A35, firmware updated? If the TV your putting it on is a newer 1080p chances are an HD-A3 will be the best bet. Less the $120 on Amazon. Since your already purple.

You might only be able to find the 20GB or 60GB on Ebay or Craigslist, as they are no longer made for retail sale. SACD support only matters if you ever bought any of Sony's proprietary SACDs (or intend on buying them).

Hybrid CD/SACD are common enough that you probably have a couple in you CD collection without even realizing it. (i.e. the Rolling Stones catalog reissues)

SACD support was removed in the 40GB, but still exists in the 80GB.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts