PS3 owners damaging Attach rates?

akodoreign

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 16, 2007
MAXCONSOLE - Playstation 3 - PS3 owners are damaging blu-ray movie attach rate says HD DVD co-president

Only presenting this for further discussion. :)

quote:

NM: Sony claims that the PS3 has given Blu-ray the market lead -- is this just posturing so Blu-ray can tout higher sales numbers? Is the PS3 really seen in Hollywood as a device that sells movies?

KG: I'll go back to what we've said over and over: the set-top player is the primary movie device. If you look at the attach rate of how many movies are bought for dedicated HD DVD players versus how many movies were sold for the PS3 and the Blu-ray set-top players combined, it's a 4 to 1 gap. Which says that people who own game machines are not buying at the same rate as someone who owns a set-top. And on the DVD side, your primary player is a set-top.

If you go to a store -- let's say a Best Buy or a Circuit City -- and buy an HDTV and then you want to get your movies to look better, you go to the DVD section -- you don't go to the game section. We have always been believers, not only historically but looking at a lot of recent research that has been done, that for the consumer their preference is a set-top.

The one thing that's different now compared with VHS is that when you bought a DVD player, you could not play your VHS on it. People didn't really have libraries in the days of VHS, because movies were really rented -- 80% of the business was rental. Today it's different because both Blu-ray and HD DVD are backwards compatible, so you have to take that into consideration. In turn, people want a set-top player that lets them play their current movies just as they do now, not on a game console.

Discuss

Last edited:
That guy is such a pawn.

So you add in 3 mil PS3's (which arent all being used as a BD player, just sold mine to a guy with a 480i tv :rolleyes:) and the BD attach rates look bad. Well DUH.

I personaly think attach rates are a wastefull argument. Here's the truth, BD sells more movies every week, they are now selling more set tops every week, and there are 3mil + PS3's out there than can play em if they want too.

I think they are just pissed because the PS3 was their trojan horse. Everyone that owns it loves it, from the comments Ive seen.

Last edited:
HD-DVD is still talking about attach rates?

This is getting sad.

ps3

My ps3 is the only BD player i have. I wont be buying a stand alone for several years.

HD-DVD is still talking about attach rates?

This is getting sad.

My ps3 is the only BD player i have. I wont be buying a stand alone for several years.

Exactly.

Look, KG is towing the company line, most at this point can see thru this bull crap. I think that's why we'll start seeing a lot more pie charts and data. Bill Hunt has promised hardware data at the end of Jan to see how the price cut is doing. You better believe if the Toshiba price cuts don't help, we'll be drowning in pie charts.

This may be why the $299 PS3 may be coming.

I agree, and in the end, the number of movies sold is the only true indicator.

KG has always talked like this, I mean look at his title at the HDDVD PR Group.

One indicator (to me) something is up, is recently people at BR.com were asked by insiders to quit bagging on him.

I think he's towing the line, BUT I think Universal has already decided what they are going to do.

I personally am not worried about his comments.

Well, it was started in an article that BD made WB over $60mil more in 2007 than HD-DVD. I dont know if we'll really get hard revenue numbers.

So what if PS3s have terrible attach rates? BD standalone has passed up HD-DVD standalone anyways now. BD media sales have been higher for over a year. Pointing out poor attach rates is not going to get any of the BD studios to switch to HD-DVD.

Sales have just recently passed HD DVD. But, the overall standalone market share still belongs to HD DVD.

True. However, in light of studio defections, it will be interesting to see if retailers call this or not.

Target, Meijer's, BJ's and even Fry's are small players compared to Circuit City, Wal-Mart and Best Buy.

True. However, in light of studio defections, it will be interesting to see if retailers call this or not.

Target, Meijer's, BJ's and even Fry's are small players compared to Circuit City, Wal-Mart and Best Buy.
There is no doubt in my mind that BD standalones will overtake HD DVD this year. :(

These small retailers dont make a big dent by themselves, but if you continue to get small retailers going blu, it will begin to make a dent.

If HDDVD is trying to make a good showing, loss of ANY retailer hurts final sales.

The PS3 is a game system first and people keep talking about it playing BD. Well just remember that it only has one drive.....so if you use it for everything games, CDs, DVDs and BDs then the life will go quicker.....that's why MS came out with a seperate drive. The guy was right when you buy an HDTV you don't go to the game section you go to the DVD section so they'll see the DVD, HD-DVD and BluRay players first.

The PS3 is a game system first and people keep talking about it playing BD. Well just remember that it only has one drive.....so if you use it for everything games, CDs, DVDs and BDs then the life will go quicker.....that's why MS came out with a separate drive.

You're reaching.

Tell the failure idea to the 30% of original xbox failures, and now the current 10% failure rate. Can anyone say "red ring of death".

The PS3 is a game system first and people keep talking about it playing BD. Well just remember that it only has one drive.....so if you use it for everything games, CDs, DVDs and BDs then the life will go quicker.....that's why MS came out with a seperate drive. The guy was right when you buy an HDTV you don't go to the game section you go to the DVD section so they'll see the DVD, HD-DVD and BluRay players first.
Thats a stretch. First time i have heard anyone say that the reason microsoft went with two drives is to prolong the life of the machine.

Edit: previous post deleted since it appears I read it wrong.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts