PS3 owners damaging Attach rates?

PS3's had a failure rate as well........plus they are NOT 100% fully backwards compatible with PS and PS2 games like Sony promised.....and then the $399 one won't play PS2 at all. I guess it's also having issues with BD..won't play some of those

Not heard to much on PS3 movie issues, its the lowest out of the bunch as far as player malfuntion.

As far as backwards compatability, we are talking about BD players.

PS3's had a failure rate as well........plus they are NOT 100% fully backwards compatible with PS and PS2 games like Sony promised.....and then the $399 one won't play PS2 at all. I guess it's also having issues with BD..won't play some of those
What does game backwards compatibility have to do with it being or not being a BD player?

Do you have any links about the BD problem? I am not aware of it

What does game backwards compatibility have to do with it being or not being a BD player?

Do you have any links about the BD problem? I am not aware of it

they have issues when the TV doesn't display in 1080p/24. Most of the time this is taken care of with a setting on the PS3. In a few cases though the TV either has to be replaced or a new BD player be purchased.

they have issues when the TV doesn't display in 1080p/24. Most of the time this is taken care of with a setting on the PS3. In a few cases though the TV either has to be replaced or a new BD player be purchased.
Hmm, havent heard of that before. I would imagine, like you said, adjusting a few settings could cure that in most cases.

Hmm, havent heard of that before. I would imagine, like you said, adjusting a few settings could cure that in most cases.

The cases where changing the settings does not work are very rare, and usually involve the oldest of HD TVs.

Time for my first post. I purchased a Sony 46"XBR4 about a month and a half ago. First HDTV I have had. Replaces a SOny 27" CRT TV. I just had to get a high def disc player.
I was leaning towards HD-DVD. I ended up buying a PS3. The factor that pushed me to BD is I could go into my local Blockbuster and rent Blu-Ray. No HD-DVD for rent that I can find local. This lets me see a HD movie that I may not be inclined to purchase for five bucks. My PS3 works perfect and now I have five BD titles and three kick butt games that I have a great time playing. I have had no problems at all and I do not care if my unit will not play PS2 games or SACD. I am working on getting a wireless router set up to do web stuff on the PS3. I was put off by a "game" system at first but once I had it hooked up I can't keep that shi@ eatin' grin off my face. I can't wait to get "Jaws" and "Smokey & the Bandit" on BD. I have "Bullitt" and "Deliverence" and a few others.

Time for my first post. I purchased a Sony 46"XBR4 about a month and a half ago. First HDTV I have had. Replaces a SOny 27" CRT TV. I just had to get a high def disc player.
I was leaning towards HD-DVD. I ended up buying a PS3. The factor that pushed me to BD is I could go into my local Blockbuster and rent Blu-Ray. No HD-DVD for rent that I can find local. This lets me see a HD movie that I may not be inclined to purchase for five bucks. My PS3 works perfect and now I have five BD titles and three kick butt games that I have a great time playing. I have had no problems at all and I do not care if my unit will not play PS2 games or SACD. I am working on getting a wireless router set up to do web stuff on the PS3. I was put off by a "game" system at first but once I had it hooked up I can't keep that shi@ eatin' grin off my face. I can't wait to get "Jaws" and "Smokey & the Bandit" on BD. I have "Bullitt" and "Deliverence" and a few others.

This isn't the thread for it, but you should head over to the video game forum and tell us which games you have... I'd just be curious to know, and maybe we can recommend some other good ones for you.

Some PS 3 buyers are buying itas a BD player---i did for one. And some ar e buying it as a game machine. While that might "damage" attach rates it really just underscores that attach rates don't mean much or at the very least that we need to look at the the attach raes for consoles separately.

In the end what matters is revenue from software sales. It does not matter what that software is played on.

You are correct, the problem was default output was set to 24p, but the HDMI handshake would usually force it back to 60 on sets that could not take 24p. So, the fix is to go change the output to 60i.

All I know is that I own three PS3s...and I watch BD and play games on all three in some form or fashion. I also use them to fold@home, run Linux, surf the web, stream media, and I also plan to add PlayTV and use one or more as HD DVRs in the near future. Anyway, thank goodness there are so many caring individuals out there who are quick to point out what worthless pieces of garbage my PS3s are because they damage the "Attach Rate".:hatsoff:

All I know is that I own three PS3s...and I watch BD and play games on all three in some form or fashion. I also use them to fold@home, run Linux, surf the web, stream media, and I also plan to add PlayTV and use one or more as HD DVRs in the near future. Anyway, thank goodness there are so many caring individuals out there who are quick to point out what worthless pieces of garbage my PS3s are because they damage the "Attach Rate".:hatsoff:
AMEN!! GREAT POST!! I can't wait for the PlatTV!!:hungry:

The HD-DVD co-president is wrong in so many ways.... Its very sad.

I dont like this news. I own a PS3 and Im gonna scream like never before if it fails to play a movie.
Vurb, if you read what the problem could be, and havent experienced it, you should be good.

That, or its time to start another "sony sucks" thread huh?:)

Sorry, but this is just plain old FUD. To back up your claim please name one HDTV with componet input that the PS3 does NOT work with?

You are correct, the problem was default output was set to 24p, but the HDMI handshake would usually force it back to 60 on sets that could not take 24p. So, the fix is to go change the output to 60i.

Actually, when the PS3 first came out it only did 60fps. In an update March Sony added 24fps to the mix and then some folks with a 1080p set that could receive 24fps complained that the PS3 was defaulting to 60fps. Around July Sony issued a new firmware update that allowed one to force the PS3 to output 24fps which corrected the HDMI handshake problems some were reporting with their 1080p HDTVs.

Sorry, but this is just plain old FUD. To back up your claim please name one HDTV with componet input that the PS3 does NOT work with?

Grow up a bit Joe. I was not bad mouthing the PS3. I was saying that the problems affected less than .001% of the population.

I have did nothing but be very objectionable about things lately, but you sure do make me wanna bad mouth the Blues again. *bleh*

BTW we were talking about HDMI Hand shakes not Component. Also The Bravia TVs do not accept 1080p over component (I know because it doesn't accept it from my older 360 premium).

And DHCP does not work over Component. You just threw this out here because you think that Sony's farts smell like roses. I know MS's Farts do not smell good. Doesn't make me dislike the company. But man you take Fanboi-ism to a whole new level.

Grow up a bit Joe. I was not bad mouthing the PS3. I was saying that the problems affected less than .001% of the population.

I have did nothing but be very objectionable about things lately, but you sure do make me wanna bad mouth the Blues again. *bleh*

BTW we were talking about HDMI Hand shakes not Component. Also The Bravia TVs do not accept 1080p over component (I know because it doesn't accept it from my older 360 premium).

And DHCP does not work over Component. You just threw this out here because you think that Sony's farts smell like roses. I know MS's Farts do not smell good. Doesn't make me dislike the company. But man you take Fanboi-ism to a whole new level.
I didnt take it as "putting down" anyone either. I asked a question and you answered it. Much appreciated!