South Florida Voom Zone!!!

Well I decided to keep my install date with Adelphia. I figure I'll wait until all the dust settles with Voom and Dish before I decide to go back to satellite. Especially since I'm reading rumors that DirecTV may also be carrying the Voom channels.

Anyway back to Adelphia. I also got the dual tuner DVR. The install tech told me that they ran out of the "regular" HD boxes so they were giving out the HD/DVR combo boxes out instead. He said that the DVR functions work, but they were having problmes with the dual tuner, which is why they are not official offering it. He said that right now we will not be charged for the DVR but that once they officially offer it there would be a charge of $4.95 for it. I have to say that I am impressed with the PQ of Adelphia's HD but it is defeinitely a notch below Voom's. The install tech said the same thing. He mentioned that lately he has been doing a lot of installs for former Voomers. I guess a lot of us in the area decided not to go with Dish or DirecTV.

Since I also have TiVo I had to split the signal from the wall and run one coax to the Adelphia box and the other to Tivo. The tech didn't recommend that I do that because, according to him, it would degrade my HD PQ. I haven't noticed any change in PQ so I don't know if he was BSing me.

Anyone know where I can codes to program my remote to control my TV?

I've got to tell you guys...my PQ on HD channels with Adelphia are on par with Voom.
I have not split the cable so maybe that's why your's may be slightly inferior.

When I say Voom I mean the Voom Sat channels, not the OTA
My HD locals via cable although they are very, very good in PQ are better in my case through OTA. Through cable they have a red push and a bit of pixelation on darker scenes with movement but not at all unwatchable...I haven't adjusted the component input where the HD DVR is connected but I am sure I can make it look better!
Sound is much better OTA, via cable is a lot lower and less crisp.

I have seen no difference between Voom and my cable on Discovery HD or ESPN HD
HdNet and InHD are also as good (PQ wise) as similar VOom channels.

SD is a whole different story...on Voom even these channels looked much better on my TV (Channels 2 through 100) Actually these channels looked better before with basic cable directly into the TV without the box...!!!
Digital tier channels (100 through 600) are better.
In comparing HBO for example (Not HD) Voom and cable look pretty much the same...

Vlad D said:
Since I also have TiVo I had to split the signal from the wall and run one coax to the Adelphia box and the other to Tivo. The tech didn't recommend that I do that because, according to him, it would degrade my HD PQ. I haven't noticed any change in PQ so I don't know if he was BSing me.

Anyone know where I can codes to program my remote to control my TV?
I have been thinking of splitting the cable but am afraid it will lose PQ as well...
Also I have been wanting to try the DVI output on the box but that's where I have the Voom STB on my TV...I am sort of skeptical of touching anything on the Voom STB for fear of losing OTA.

Regarding programming the remote for controling my TV, my installer did that for me. I was given some codes here and in the Comcast forum to program a 30 second skip on the DVR and some more but it seems the remote for Adelphia is different than Comcast, even though it's the same DCT6412
On my remote there is no "setup" button which is required for the programming on it. I'm sure there has to be a way but haven't found it yet.

Cable Feed Split for Tivo

Guys,

I bought an amplified splitter (must be plugged in to an electrical outlet), and actually saw an increase in PQ. Cable does degrade when it is split, but guess what. . . you split cable as it comes into your house and it goes to all the rooms you want to view cable in. In addition, if you see what material they use to split the feed, it is really crappy. I bought a high-end splitter and changed the one Comcast gave me in the attic. If I had power up there, I would have used an amplified one.

Be advised, if you have a lot of noise on your line, the amplified splitter, in some cases, may amplify the noise. I would recommend that you visit Radio Shack and test some amplified splitters. Worst case scenario, you can always return it. I would recommend that you look for a splitter that has amplified gain control, thus giving you more control of the picture.

truqui said:
Regarding programming the remote for controling my TV, my installer did that for me. I was given some codes here and in the Comcast forum to program a 30 second skip on the DVR and some more but it seems the remote for Adelphia is different than Comcast, even though it's the same DCT6412
On my remote there is no "setup" button which is required for the programming on it. I'm sure there has to be a way but haven't found it yet.

I have been looking all over the but haven't had any luck yet. Did you happen to notice which buttons your installer pressed when he programed yours?

So far I am really happy with my Adelphia setup....but the only thing that bugs me is the pixelation on fast moving scenes which I never really had with Voom.....Oh and my other complaint is with the remote....Not being backlit is a pain in the butt.

Vlad D said:
I figure I'll wait until all the dust settles with Voom and Dish before I decide to go back to satellite. Especially since I'm reading rumors that DirecTV may also be carrying the Voom channels.

Vlad,

I heard that Dish no has some stake in Voom. If this is correct we will not see Voom channels on D*. I am trying to find some confirmation of that rumor. What I have heard is a rumor that D* will create its own Voom like HD offering, made up of FOX content. This sounds like some potentially good programming to me. I think we may see Voom channels on cable, before we would on satellite.

I have a retention offer on hold at D*, and they even told me I should wait until the summer before making any commitments. The MPEG4 HDDVR's and Home Media Solutions are due out very soon. (Then again we heard this from Voom as well.)

D* told me the focus this year was on locals, and that the national channels would get focus in 2006. A few HD National channels will be added this year. I am a little shocked to hear that, since Cable and Dish have so much more HD to offer, and better PQ to boot. It would be a waste to use the brand new satellite they launched just for HD Locals. By the way, our local market is not included in the initial offering, and we Voomers are use to OTA for locals.

If cable begins upgrading all analog channels to digital this summer, as planned, it will be tough for me to go to satellite. They would need a compelling package of HD channels to convince me to go back to sat.

You think these decisions would be easier. . .

skakusha said:
Vlad,

I heard that Dish no has some stake in Voom. If this is correct we will not see Voom channels on D*. I am trying to find some confirmation of that rumor. What I have heard is a rumor that D* will create its own Voom like HD offering, made up of FOX content. This sounds like some potentially good programming to me. I think we may see Voom channels on cable, before we would on satellite.

I have a retention offer on hold at D*, and they even told me I should wait until the summer before making any commitments. The MPEG4 HDDVR's and Home Media Solutions are due out very soon. (Then again we heard this from Voom as well.)

D* told me the focus this year was on locals, and that the national channels would get focus in 2006. A few HD National channels will be added this year. I am a little shocked to hear that, since Cable and Dish have so much more HD to offer, and better PQ to boot. It would be a waste to use the brand new satellite they launched just for HD Locals. By the way, our local market is not included in the initial offering, and we Voomers are use to OTA for locals.

If cable begins upgrading all analog channels to digital this summer, as planned, it will be tough for me to go to satellite. They would need a compelling package of HD channels to convince me to go back to sat.

You think these decisions would be easier. . .

I hadn't heard that Dish now has a stake in Voom but that wouldn't surprise me. I also hadn't heard that DirecTV was working on their own Voom-like content. Maybe this is the start of some HD-content war among the sat and cable providers? Only time will tell.

I agree that if cable adds all the local HD channels and other HD channels, it will also be hard for me to go back to sat.

E* Is Part Owner of Voom

Just found several posts that indicate this rumor is true. It was said that in the 1st QTR Earnings call for E*, it was stated that E* is a part owner in Voom. The percentage of ownership was not disclosed, nor was it made clear as to whether or not these channels would remain exclusive to E*.

...and they said it would never happen...!!! E* merging/taking over/partnership with V*

Vlad...sorry but the installer did the programming and I didn't see what he did.
Oh, I now remember he left a manual for the remote with codes for other A/V equipment...so I'll check it and get back to you.

This is on the Motorola website Remote
It may help although it looks different...I'll check my manual once I'm home.

I get Adelphia cable thru my HOA, I got the Adelphia's HD package & SA/HD-DVR w/2 tuners and had the installer split the cable so my "analog" Tivo setup would still be "as is"... pluged the DVR into DVI input (needed HDMI/DVI adaptor) and the PQ is fine, also like the DVR and the best part is that its only $18 a month for the DVR & HD package.
I lost, and cannot get the VOOM box to give me OTA anymore, once the Program guide expired so did the OTA (and yes, I did have the sat. cable & phone line disconnected), now the VOOM box won't even reboot (in the garage)... I bought an LG lst-4200HD OTA reciever, took off the diplexer from the loop, bought a OTA power supply to power the Wingard antenna and pow... 38 local stations (more than VOOM OTA) in SD,Digital,Dolby & HD. So for now, until either Dish or DTV comes out with a good package I"m set with what I got.. the only channel I was not getting thru cable or DTV in HD was CBS, now I have it OTA (X2) luckily we gat great OTA reception here in Boca Raton. The Dish deal was expensive I thought since the only channels I cared about getting was HBOHD,SHOHD,EQUATOR... so now all I am missing is EQUATOR and DSCHD is good enough,... I've already flown all over Europe on Equator... But damn I still miss my VOOM...!!!

That's so weird...my VOom STB is still connected like it was from day one...phone line and all...and I still have OTA and Caller ID working!!!

Maybe I'm playing with fire...!!!

Well I finally programed my remote to control my TV. Thanks truqui. The codes they had listed for my TV didn't work but I was able to follow the instructions to search for my TV code.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)