Spaceway 2 Launch thread - It's up!

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Well, a geosynchronous orbit at sea level is still better than a geosynchronous orbit 2KM below sea level.

While it is easy to blame the French, I blame the cable companies. Comcast, TWC, et al are sitting in their offices with their SW2 voodoo doll sticking needles in it. :)

November 15, 2005

Liftoff of the Ariane 5 ECA is set for Nov. 16

Arianespace's Ariane 5 ECA returned to the launch zone today, allowing the final countdown to resume for a liftoff tomorrow night with a heavyweight dual satellite payload.

Ariane 5 rolled out of the final assembly building at 10:30 a.m. and completed its 2.8-km. transfer to the ELA-3 launch zone in 60 minutes. The vehicle rode atop its massive launch table, which is now locked in place over large flame ducts for the vehicle's two solid rocket motors and its core stage Vulcain cryogenic main engine.

Liftoff of the Ariane 5 ECA with the Spaceway 2 and Telkom 2 satellites is set for a 45-minute launch window that opens tomorrow evening (Nov. 16) at 8:46 p.m. (23h46 GMT; 7:46 p.m. in Washington, D.C.; and 00:46 a.m. on November 17 in Paris, France).

The mission's Boeing-built Spaceway 2 will enable U.S. operator DIRECTV to bring local high-definition programming to most of the American population, as well as expand its standard-definition local offerings.

The Telkom 2 satellite to be lofted by Ariane 5 is an Orbital Sciences Corporation STAR 2 spacecraft platform, and it will be used by Indonesia's PT Telkom to expand its satellite communications coverage area into the ASEAN region and the Indian subcontinent.

This launch originally had been set for November 12, but was postponed hours before the scheduled liftoff to resolve minor problems involving the mobile launch table. As a result, the table and its Ariane 5 were moved from the ELA-3 launch zone back into the final assembly building, where the repairs were made.

Tomorrow's flight will demonstrate the Ariane 5 ECA's heavy-lift capability, as the combined mass of its two payloads totals more than 8,000 kg.

With a payload capacity of nearly 10,000 kg. on missions to geostationary transfer orbit, Ariane 5 is the only commercial vehicle that can launch two mainstream telecommunications satellite payloads on the same mission.

Liftoff is scheduled within the following launch window:

KOUROU: From 08:46p.m. to 09:31p.m. on November 16, 2005.
GMT: From 23:46 to 00:31 on November 16-17, 2005.
PARIS: From 00:46a.m. to 01:31a.m. on November 17, 2005.
WASHINGTON: From 07:46p.m. to 08:31p.m. on November 16, 2005.

u can watch it at the ariane s web page in their video corner
lets hope thist time no problems

I note that the French still do not have the window times correct for Wash DC.
If you tune in at 7:46 PM, you will be a hour late for the launch. The correct ET
for this is 6:46PM to 7:31PM ET.

moonman said:
I note that the French still do not have the window times correct for Wash DC.
If you tune in at 7:46 PM, you will be a hour late for the launch. The correct ET
for this is 6:46PM to 8:31PM ET.

That's comforting! If they can't do time conversion can they . . . ?

They are not accounting for the fact that the US is now out of Daylight Savings, so the east coast is now GMT - 5. They probably have some spreadsheet with GMT - 4 hard coded, that was set up for the original launch date in June, or the later one in Oct.

I know all the delays are a pain, but I would rather see them take all the time they need to get the bird up safe. If D* loses Spaceway2, you can forget about any additional national HD until 2007. That would suck big time, and I would actually consider going over to the dark side....Comcast.

Any ideas on what channel D* will use for launch coverage if any? I think I saw that 399 was it, can someone confim or deny that?

f300v10 said:
....That would suck big time, and I would actually consider going over to the dark side....Comcast.

Anikan nooo!

Attachments

• star-wars-smiley-023.gif
    star-wars-smiley-023.gif
    17.6 KB · Views: 589
The live coverage starts in 17 minutes........I'm watching this launch as well..........10-9-8-7-

I wonder whats going on the main office at D*?????

"Come on French, do this one right!"

Barney

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Whie the Dish folks are Celebrating...

Horrible cdusa-hd quality

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)