Special Retailer Chat Recap - March 18, 2008

So the question remains, how can DISH add another 25 new HD's NOW other than just on 61.5? On 148? 148 would be ideal for the west coast.

Scott you have been spot on but you forgot the great migration had happened now there are folks living on the west coast:)
I understand the West Coast thing, I have asked the same questions myself and have received no answers.

Unfortunatelly with all my digging I don't have all the answers. :(

Scott. Any guess on what the two Sky Angel transponers will be used for? Local or national?

I am thinking national.

Those poll results taken here are biased by who we are.. But as a retailer who actually sells this stuff to real consumers who don't know anything about much of nothing, The Locals are where it's all at. All my customers want HD Locals.. And right now neither Dish Nor Direct offer them here. The first one to offer them here is going to be the winner.. No wait. I am going to be the winner when they offer them here.. Because I am going to get busy. Years ago when Dish brought SD Locals here 3 months before DirecTV did, I was so busy pulling out Direct Systems and replacing them with Dish just so they could have locals. My best scenario right now would be DirecTV getting the HD Locals first so I could go do new installs for all these old Dish Customers. But I will take the upgrade business if Dish gets them first. Right now we are not on any list to get them, although DirecTV originaly promised us HD LIL's in December 06..

To sum this up, HD Locals are what will sell Satellite Systems. And both Dish and DirecTV already know this.

In your specific area yes, but in the nation as a whole the national HD's are more important especially for those large DMA's that already have HD locals.

I'm in the same general area, and in any place with a good amount of trees, 61.5 has no LOS. If there's no trees where you're at, then you can get it, but you have to have a pretty damn clear horizon.

Agreed...If you see the dish on my roof (2 story) its actually pointing down.
148 would be best for the west

I understand the West Coast thing, I have asked the same questions myself and have received no answers.

Unfortunatelly with all my digging I don't have all the answers. :(
Last Wednesday Dish up-linked the HD Locals for Houston and Dallas (currently on 110 spots) to 61.5. Doesn't this free up room for 8 new National HD channels or HD Locals for two DMAs on the West Coast? It may not be the "answer" but it could help :)

Talon Dancer

Last Wednesday Dish up-linked the HD Locals for Houston and Dallas (currently on 110 spots) to 61.5. Doesn't this free up room for 8 new National HD channels or HD Locals for two DMAs on the West Coast? It may not be the "answer" but it could help :)

Talon Dancer

I feel the same way. If they're gonna uplink National HD channels they have to put them on 129 or 119 or 110 for the West Coast people. Like you said, since they're moving HD Locals to 61.5 that will free space on 110 or 129.

In your specific area yes, but in the nation as a whole the national HD's are more important especially for those large DMA's that already have HD locals.

Yes, the HD LIL's are not as important to you who already have them.. And I could care less about them myself.. I get them OTA with no issues. But to customers that don't want an antenna, or don't get them any other way, It is the most important thing. So yes it is my particular area that concerns me. It's how I make my living.. But at this point, not being on anyones list to get them really bugs me.

According to our poll here, over 80% of the members here said they didnt mind of Dish delayed HD Locals for a few months.

Results of the poll can be seen here.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-network-forum/128577-satelliteguys-us-61-5-hd-poll.html

I wonder what the results would have been had it been specified that "Assuming you have no access to HD locals....." That would have put things on a more level playing field for that question.

I'm 50 miles from the Cleveland sats and I'm in a low-lying area, so an antenna is pretty much out. I think people that already have HD locals, tend to forget not everyone can get them OTA.

According to our poll here, over 80% of the members here said they didnt mind of Dish delayed HD Locals for a few months.

Results of the poll can be seen here.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-network-forum/128577-satelliteguys-us-61-5-hd-poll.html

I understand the poll.. And I understand that most members on here are a lot more tech savy than the average customer. But if I go out and ask Joe Customer what he wants I will get the HD Locals everytime. I voted in that poll. My personal vote was For more national HD. But it was given with me making this same point about my average customer. I personally couldn't care if the locals ever got here. My wife on the other hand doesn't seem to know that there are any other channels besides the locals.. She has at least learned that there is a difference in the satellite SD Locals and the HD OTA Locals and will find the HD most of the time.

Did they say anything about securing these new HD channels? Anything on the card swap that was predicted in the 2007 report?

I wonder what the results would have been had it been specified that "Assuming you have no access to HD locals....." That would have put things on a more level playing field for that question.

I'm 50 miles from the Cleveland sats and I'm in a low-lying area, so an antenna is pretty much out. I think people that already have HD locals, tend to forget not everyone can get them OTA.
That's right, there were many that voted to delay locals because they already had them or were not mentioned as getting them "soon". If that was my situation, I'd vote to delay locals too...

Did they say anything about securing these new HD channels? Anything on the card swap that was predicted in the 2007 report?
Nope nothing on that, I understand the new cards will start going out over the next few weeks. But legal customers should not need to worry about that.

All this love of HD LiL. I could understand it if you have no OTA reception. But if you do, your antenna will bring in all the subchannels. And your TV or OTA DVR will likely have the PSIP data, and maybe a TV Guide or similar service.

With satellite HD locals, you don't get the subchannels, or even the EPG data for them. And you certainly don't get all the little oddball channels. Near DC, we have several of these, including one in Russian. If it had English subtitles, I'd watch some stuff on it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)