Special Retailer Chat Recap - March 18, 2008

I am disappointed to not see more of the movie channels in HD. What about the west feeds?!?! (HBO, SHOWTIME ETC?!?)

Yes. While this is not official I guess they didn't want to launch them without the LIN channels. So waitiing for that fiber (since the deal was just made last week) to get to the uplinks.

Hartford is on the radar and will get launched this year. (ad could actually launch in time with the rest of the announced channels)

Stay Tuned!

Anyone know the status on Little Rock, AR? I haven't been staying up to speed on this as of late. If I understand what has been posted in this thread, they are using 61.5 for the locals, if so I am screwed. I live in the Ozarks and in any previous attempts to have an additional antennae installed, there was not sufficient line of sight.

Any reason given for Hartford locals being dropped? Do we in Ct. still have a chance anytime soon?

I e-mailed the 4 major networks in CT, and have gotten two responses back so far. The WTNH(ABC) program manager said that they are still supposed to be added in May, she's just not sure of the exact date. The person who responded from FOX didn't know anything.

Ok, so Austin locals are going to be on 61.5...many of us in texas arent pointed at 61.5...we're using 129. Any idea if we're going to get a call from E* attempting to set up an appt to install another dish? Or are they likely to wait till Eastern Arc to change out equipt? If they're going to wait...seems odd that they're adding locals to 61.5 in April that customers arent going to be able to get till Eastern Arc (or w/o a 2nd dish).

What is conus? I have a dish 500 pointed at 61.5 and a 1000 at 110,119,and129 what else will I need before this is over?

ConUS = Continental United States, I.E. the entire lower 48 states.

With all 4 of the slots you list (and the same ones I have), you don't need anything else.

Ok, so Austin locals are going to be on 61.5...many of us in texas arent pointed at 61.5...we're using 129. Any idea if we're going to get a call from E* attempting to set up an appt to install another dish? Or are they likely to wait till Eastern Arc to change out equipt? If they're going to wait...seems odd that they're adding locals to 61.5 in April that customers arent going to be able to get till Eastern Arc (or w/o a 2nd dish).

I'd wait till the launch. I suspect you'll have to get a truck roll, but it should, if they do like they've done in the past, be free.

Ok here is what I am hearing on the missing locals from the press release... (this is not official)

The missing cities are missing because they are not ready to go yet. However because they are not ready now it does not necessarly mean that they wont launch on or around the same time as the others.

Case in point here in Hartford, the LIN HD channels are not being fed to the uplinks yet, and they are waiting for those to go in. Again this could be ready at the same time as the other ones, they just are not on the list as they not 100% in yet.

Trust me these cities are on Dish Networks radar and will be launched as soon as possible.

There is that damn soon word again. :D

I feel the same way. If they're gonna uplink National HD channels they have to put them on 129 or 119 or 110 for the West Coast people. Like you said, since they're moving HD Locals to 61.5 that will free space on 110 or 129.

I will repeat:
I feel the same way. If they're gonna uplink National HD channels they have to put them on 129 or 119 or 110 for the West Coast people. Like you said, since they're moving HD Locals to 61.5 that will free space on 110 or 129.

WHAT will happen on 129????
What will happen to HD Locals and RSN's on 129?
""I am disappointed to not see more of the movie channels in HD. What about the west feeds?!?! (HBO, SHOWTIME ETC?!?)"""

I do not have access to either 61.5 because of houses downhill from us block 61.5 and Trees block 148.
DISH doesn't carry MLB. Strike 2....
BAD BAD or dead 129 This will be a Strike 3....

Last edited:
I wonder what the results would have been had it been specified that "Assuming you have no access to HD locals....." That would have put things on a more level playing field for that question.

I'm 50 miles from the Cleveland sats and I'm in a low-lying area, so an antenna is pretty much out. I think people that already have HD locals, tend to forget not everyone can get them OTA.
Same Here 50 miles from Clevland in al low area. antenna on 30 ft tower and i cant pick up any cleveland digitals. and only 2 analog chanels.

Same Here 50 miles from Clevland in al low area. antenna on 30 ft tower and i cant pick up any cleveland digitals. and only 2 analog chanels.

Yeah, I think there is a lot of people in our situation, especially with a large DMA like Cleveland. A lot of people on here, from what I've seen, assume if you don't have local HD's it's because you're lazy and won't put up an antenna. That's why I think that poll question was hugely biased.

Yep that soon word is a four letter curse word. I think I will get a tee shirt made that says:
"SOON YOU DISH"

or one that says "SOON OFF DISH", and I can wear it without upsetting anyone, but if I ever run into a fellow satelliteguy member while I am wearing it he will know exactly what it means.

Well just depends either way I think Dish will get them added as soon as they can.. I know when I would call my local stations sometimes it was like they acted like they were behind the times or something. So some of it will not always be on Dish end sometimes it's that particular market.

You obviously have no idea what your talking about. You need to learn what SPOTS are and what CONUS is.

The West Coast again can pick up 61.5. It may be hard in some locations but it can be done.

There are no spots on 129.

Besides arn't you a DirecTV subscriber? None of this should matter to you or are you just trying to sling mud at Dish?

Scott, for anyone you have picked a wrong person to sling mud on. You know better my track records with both E* and D* and how many new members I have attracted to your site.

I don't know which slot is for spots, so I said 129, 110 or 119, have you not read that?

Have I said I knew everything about spots? No I asked a question, why not educate me then?

There is a legit concern of the folks on the west side and difficulty with 61.5. You made an apology the other day but it seemed you have not really came out of that bad mode yet, have you?

All this love of HD LiL. I could understand it if you have no OTA reception. But if you do, your antenna will bring in all the subchannels. And your TV or OTA DVR will likely have the PSIP data, and maybe a TV Guide or similar service.

With satellite HD locals, you don't get the subchannels, or even the EPG data for them. And you certainly don't get all the little oddball channels. Near DC, we have several of these, including one in Russian. If it had English subtitles, I'd watch some stuff on it.
Problem with OTA and wanting HD LiL from Dish is that some channels for me (CBS in particular) has a very weak signal. We live less than 10 miles from the tower. The best signal we get for this channel is 70. While it does not break up nearly as much as it did, it took a lot of dialing in to get it as good as we have.

However, we are one of the lucky few in West Michigan that can pick up our local CBS with an Antenna. Most people I am aware of have NO SHOT at getting it, even with a decent antenna due to the low power. It is believed that getting it via satellite will allow for a much stronger signal. Plus, having HD LiL will allow recording more than one network program in HD, where as we have to pick and choose what Prime Time Programming we want to watch in HD.

Just my 2 Cents worth,
Geoff