Spectrum Five news

New Sheriff in Town

The continuing saga of Spectrum Five/ Echostar/ Directv wars.

One of the last things that occurred (1/16/2009) under the Bush Administrations was the yanking of Directv's application for new spectrum close to their other satellites and putting Spectrum Five at the top of the list to receive it. Earlier posts pointed out that an old FCC chair is Spectrum's main man in Washington

Don't know if you all noticed, but there is a new acting head of FCC with the new administration and the Chief of the International Div has also been replaced.

Yesteday - FCC International Div unilaterally reversed their decision regarding revoking Directv's application and reinstated it.

http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DA-09-204A1.pdf

This story will continue. The question is "Who is the satellite provider hooked to Spectrum Five"

Spectrum Five's petition is now considered an "informal objection".:eek:
2 In reinstating this application, we clarify that the January 12, 2008 letter from Howard W. Waltzman,
counsel to Spectrum Five LLC (Spectrum Five), to Marlene H. Dortch, Secretary, Federal Communications
Commission, referencing DIRECTV Enterprises LLC’s (DIRECTV’s) application under call sign S2712
and served on counsel for DIRECTV Enterprises LLC will be considered as an informal objection under
Section 25.154(b) of the Commission’s rules.

I've never read a single credible report that ever expected them to really go live with a full slate.

If Spectrum 5 does indeed start service next year, I hope they would consider going with a la carte programming. It would be a great alternative if they packaged their product like C-Band used to be done. If all in HD they could lure a lot of Dish/Direct customers over.

If Spectrum 5 does indeed start service next year, I hope they would consider going with a la carte programming. It would be a great alternative if they packaged their product like C-Band used to be done. If all in HD they could lure a lot of Dish/Direct customers over.

Bigger challenge to that is convincing programming providers. If the go a la carté, I bet many providers don't give them programming, and they will fail.

I'm personally hoping for another Voom, in which spectrum five launches satellites, goes under, and Dish picks up their assets and licenses for pennies on the dollar.

I really hope they don't last. We don't need another company taking up the limited bandwidth to offer duplicate programming.

Because of VOOM I do not seem another competitor to Dish/DIRECTV/Cable. Dish/DIRECTV are just too well entrenched right now, and with the huge numbers of subs they have the can demand the best price from program providers, set top box makers, advertising, etc.

VOOM was a company with a lot of financial muscle and actually had the financing to put an impressive satellite together and launch a service. Aside from the in house VOOM channels, they tried to be just like DIRECTV/DISH by selling all the standard channels. Since they did not have the economy of scale the others enjoy, they were just not able to swing it. Exclusive content no one had heard of before was unable to lure more than a relative handful of people.

To break into the market a new company will have to have a completely different type of business model. The market is just too mature for another Dish/DIRECTV clone. Dish/DIRECTV made it because of the then innovative new way to deliver TV via small Dish. You notice they did not really grow big until they mastered LiL. That boat has sailed.

The thing is that they will probably be crushed no matter what in the long run. If they do something innovative like a la carte, no way Dish/DIRECTV will stand by and allow their customers to be stolen, they will get the same deal one way or another.

The real problem to any new sat service for consumers as competition to Dish and Direct is that the new company simply will NOT be able to "give away" the equipment as mature Dish and Direct can. This was Voom's real problem. One had to shell out nearly $1,000 for a complete Voom system, while Dish and Direct were giving theirs away. Yes, Voom was all HD, but still, the vast majority of the little people simply can't justify that expenditure when others are giving away equipment, both sat and cable and FiOS and whoever else with really, really, really deep pockets.

Satellite's revolution wasn't until when Charlie was the first to implement the Cable model and give away systems, boxes, DVR's--the "lease" model. And even then it was only after years of no-profits.

Perhaps the strategy is for Spectrum 5 to acquire the spectrum only to sell it to Dish or Direct or a truly massive corporate entity such as Disney, NBC Universal, et al. But, none of those really big companies would ever try to start-up a DBS service because the cost to compete with Dish and Direct, specifically, the equipment give aways, are economies that just won't work for any start-up. However, it does make sense to buy either Dish or Direct. It really is too late in the game now for start-ups. The 1990's was the last DBS start-up train, and there were a number of big companies who called it quits way back then to only have Dish and Direct buy their licenses or other assets. Voom is proof of that the sun has set on DBS start-ups

Bigger challenge to that is convincing programming providers. If the go a la carté, I bet many providers don't give them programming, and they will fail.

I'm personally hoping for another Voom, in which spectrum five launches satellites, goes under, and Dish picks up their assets and licenses for pennies on the dollar.

I really hope they don't last. We don't need another company taking up the limited bandwidth to offer duplicate programming.
Spectrum Five has yet to start construction of their 1st satellite. So far, there has been no confirmation that Spectrum Five has submitted their Critical Design Review for that 1st satellite. They need to get that approved before construction can begin. You can bet that E* & D* will have all kinds of objections and demand changes to said 1st satellite.

Hey Guys I'm an insider so direct/dish/telecom and various other providers are already in business with S5.....they will be piggybacking to expand content and services via s5 bandwith..
s5 will itself specialize in the mobile content hd and ipod to vehicles motorhomes house boats yachting etc....S5's ceo is a deep washington insider and believe me his t's are crossed his i's dotted and those ducks are lined up.....resistance is futile
but yeah s5 will be leasing much needed bandwith to the intrenched players ..it's the smart move
Gate

oh yeah forgot ...the player and platforms for various media content are already done and new car models will come out with s5's screens and equipment already installed...now ketchup!!!

VOOM was a company with a lot of financial muscle and actually had the financing to put an impressive satellite together and launch a service. Aside from the in house VOOM channels, they tried to be just like DIRECTV/DISH by selling all the standard channels. Since they did not have the economy of scale the others enjoy, they were just not able to swing it. Exclusive content no one had heard of before was unable to lure more than a relative handful of people.
To me, Voom's biggest problem was being an "HD" satellite service back when HD TV's were still $3000 or more. They were "born too soon" -if they had launched, say 2 or 3 years ago, I think they would have had a better chance of staying afloat.

If VoOm would have stayed around longer then maybe they would have had a better chance at survival. I think a third provider for satellite television is viable in the U.S. They will need to take a different approach though. I think they can get quite a few customers if it is done right. I think what needs to be done is to offer programming that is at least $10 per month cheaper but offer no promotions on the hardware and installation. The company saves customer acquisition costs saving them money and the savings gets passed onto the consumer.

The lower programming fees would attract quite a few customers. Those customers will not want to just shut their systems off after paying a lot of money for the hardware unless they get a buyback promotion from Dish/Direct/Cable. Their promotion would literally be cheaper programming prices for the rest of the time you hae your service with them. They could do contracts where you save $10-15 per month everytime you sign a two year contract with them. In the long-run you would save a lot of money. They might be able to make a deal with Starz or another movie company to give all their customers free Starz or something which would get them a better deal for that package and everyone would sign up because they would get that as a bonus.

2010 Annual Report

Attachments

• DOC-299696A1.pdf
    566.7 KB · Views: 156
2010 Annual Report
Thanks for the update on Spectrum Five. Now where is the satellite?
http://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DA-06-2439A1.pdf
ORDER AND AUTHORIZATION
Adopted: November 29, 2006 Released: November 29, 2006

45. IT IS FURTHER ORDERED that Spectrum Five must comply with the milestone
schedule required by Section 25.148(b) of the Commission’s rules, 47 C.F.R. § 25.148(b): (1) Within one year of grant: complete contracting for all system satellites. (2) Within four years of grant: complete construction of the first satellite in the system. (3) Within six years of grant: all satellites in the system must be in operation. In addition, Spectrum Five must complete its critical design review within two years of this grant.

Thanks for the update on Spectrum Five. Now where is the satellite?
http://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DA-06-2439A1.pdf

They filed for Wavier Nov 26, 2010 pleading poverty.

Spectrum Wavier Request

This is probably part of their effort to restrict Dish/Echostar power levels at 119W. They have the Dutch and US regulators exchanging spitballs on the issue. Also, may be the reason Dish/Echostar filed to move E4 and E8 to 86.5W, the other authorized 4.5 degree DBS licensed slot ( no responce from FCC).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)