Sporting events JIP for HD?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

silvanthalas

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 7, 2008
USA
I'm currently a Dish customer who's finally broken down to the point of considering a switch to DirecTV. The ball and chain is fed up with Dish's situation of constantly joining games in progress for HD on one of our local RSNs, Altitude.

Considering that this was barely an issue last year, but it was a constant plague this past NHL season, we're concerned it's only going to get worse as time goes on.

So, I ask of DirecTV customers: how frequently is this an issue with DirecTV, if it's an issue at all? Are sporting events on RSNs JIP often or not at all?

I've never run into a jip situation on Directv. For instance, when the Bruins and Red Sox were playing on the same night, if NESN provided an additional feed for hd, Directv carried it.

Are sporting events on RSNs JIP often or not at all?
yet to see one

I use a good example. One night The Spurs, Rockets, Stars and Mavericks were all playing. Each team was on a different station (FSN SW, SW+, Houston and an alt channel). All were in HD. Texas fans have it good ;)

We have a rsn plus and it's in hd so here Michigan we can have wings on one channel and pistons on rsn plus and both are in
HD :)

but I have noticed if college hockey is on the + channel (as in FS Detroit + or even NESN +) its in SD (even though the actual feed is HD) :(

So, I ask of DirecTV customers: how frequently is this an issue with DirecTV, if it's an issue at all? Are sporting events on RSNs JIP often or not at all?
Never.

Because most of DirecTVs HD RSNs are full-time, all of them have their own dedicated bandwidth. They do not share feeds like they do on Dish

even the part time RSN's that D* carries like FSN Houston, Wisconsin and Indiana the games are still in HD
D* only carries 2 24/7 RSN's that are game time only HD and those are FS Ohio and FS Cincy. But all the games are in HD :)

Thanks for all the responses.

And that's exactly what I suspected, DodgerKing. Altitude broadcasts all major pro sporting events in HD; it certainly isn't Altitude that was the problem, even if Nuggets and Avalanche would play at the same time. More insulting, however, that even with a 30 minute JIP for HD, it would often take 45-60 minutes for them to actually make the switch.

If anybody's willing to answer another question on making the switch. The DirecTV dish is going to have to go in the spot where the Dish dish currently sits.

So, what is the best process by which to make the switch? Cancel Dish first and get that out of the way? Go ahead and get the DirecTV ordered, then sort out Dish?

Edit: The new questions may be irrelevant, as the wife and I are debating perhaps just dropping Dish and then waiting a couple of months to get DirecTVonce football gets ready to start up. But I'd appreciate any opinions nonetheless.

It will be better to get the service first, and then cancel Dish. Make sure everything works and you are satisfied. When you call to cancel your service should be turned off that same day.

DirecTV will remove the old dish and replace it with their own.

The ONLY time I've seen JIP on D* is when the Hockey playoffs started up and VS was too dumb to use the ALT channel they have available.
However, that is a VS issue, not a D* issue.

Once the playoffs got whittled down, that didn't happen again.

Us Directv customers don't even know what JIP means :)

In my 5 years with Directv I have never had a feed joined in progress unless it was the station that did it.

Dish's allowing 4 HD stations (or whatever it is now) for all of a nights HD events is absurd, and they are the only carrier in the country that cares little enough to do it.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)