St. Patricks Day Spread

HD MM

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Nov 2, 2006
Believeland, Ohio
Ok folks, St. Patty's Day is less than a week away. Next Tuesday, March 17th marks the special day. For those of us planning a special dinner, what do you cook?

The traditional corned beef and cabbage or something different? What are you having and how will you be cooking for this wonderful day?

As an Irish guy myself, I will be purchasing my brisket tonight from the local butcher. I want to do a homemade brine, so I will need to do that rather soon, so it'll be nice and pickled for next Tuesday. My meal plans and pictures will follow....

Corned Beef, Cabbage and Herbed Root Veggies

For the brine:

• 1 cup kosher salt
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons whole coriander
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons whole mustard seeds
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons whole black peppercorns
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons whole allspice
  • 4 sprigs fresh marjoram
  • 4 sprigs fresh thyme leaves
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 1 (2 1/2 to 3 pound) brisket
  • 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1 onion, halved
  • 6 carrots, coarsely chopped
  • 1 head celery including leaves, coarsely chopped
  • 1 head garlic, halved
  • 3 sprigs fresh marjoram
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 1 small cabbage cut into 6 to 8 wedges
  • Herbed Root Vegetables, recipe follows

Directions

Combine all the brine ingredients, except the brisket, in a large non-reactive bowl. Add the brisket (you may have to cut it into 2 pieces) and rub the spice mix into the meat. Pour cold water over until the meat is covered. Weight the brisket down with a small plate so that it is completely submerged; cover and refrigerate. The meat can be brined overnight or as long as 10 days. The longer the brining the more pickled the meat.

Heat the oven to 300 degrees F.

Heat a large pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat and add the olive oil. Add the onion, carrots, celery, garlic, marjoram, and bay leaves and cook until starting to soften, about 10 minutes. Remove the meat from the brine and rinse it well. Set the meat on top of the vegetables and add water to just cover the meat. Bring to a boil skimming any foam that surfaces. Reduce the heat to a simmer, place the lid on the pot, and cook for 15 minutes. Add the cabbage pieces, cover, and put it into the oven; cook for 3 hours.

Remove the meat, cover it with foil, and let it rest for 20 minutes. Cut the fat off the corned beef, slice the meat against the grain, and serve it in shallow bowls with the cabbage wedges, some cooking liquid, and the Herbed Root Vegetables.

Herbed Root Vegetables:

2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 pound new potatoes, scrubbed
1 pound baby carrots, trimmed and scrubbed
1 pound baby turnips, trimmed and scrubbed
1 pound baby parsnips, trimmed and scrubbed
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

Herb Butter:

1/2 pound unsalted butter, softened

1/2 cup mixed chopped fresh herbs like thyme, mint, chives, parsley, or chervil

Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

Put the olive oil and butter into a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the vegetables and toss to coat them well with the fat; season with salt and pepper. Add 1 cup water and bring to a boil. Lower the heat to a simmer, cover the pot, and cook until the vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes.

Meanwhile, make the Herb Butter by combining the soft butter and herbs together; season with some salt and pepper.

To serve, spread some Herb Butter in the bottom of a bowl. Add the hot vegetables and dot with more Herb Butter. Moisten with some of the cooking liquid and serve.

I always go for the boil. Corned beef, potatoes, carrots and cabbage. After all, it's the beer that counts! Long live Paddy!!!

I tried to get the brisket at Whole Foods yesterday, but they were sold out! Plus, my local butcher is closed on Wednesdays. I am hoping to get the brisket today.

I found a way to quicken the brine time by piercing the brisket with a knife in several spots. This will allow the brine to penetrate the meat quicker.

Pictures to follow.....

I always go for the boil. Corned beef, potatoes, carrots and cabbage. After all, it's the beer that counts! Long live Paddy!!!

By boil, I hope you mean simmer. Never allow the beef to come to a full boil, or else it will be tough and not nearly as tender as it could be.

By the way, this is the first year that I'm going to use the alternate oven finishing method. Supposidly, this allows for a more flavorful corned beef as opposed to the "boil" method. Can't wait to see the results...

...I found a way to quicken the brine time by piercing the brisket with a knife in several spots. This will allow the brine to penetrate the meat quicker...
When I marinade a steak, I start by using a fork to punch many holes into the slice, both sides. (There are better tools made for this, but the result is the same.) The motion is just like pounding it to tenderize it, but instead I'm punching holes into it. Sounds to me what you're trying to accomplish with the brisket and brine is the same thing.

This is a great dish for me as well, but I've never made it myself. Waiting for your full report...!

I have ordered some black pudding, sausages, soda bread and rashers for myself and the kids to have for breakfast. I doubt i will make any stew or pie this year, have never really found it to be the same.

Really when it comes down to it its breakfast i remember most from growing up as a standard meal in Dublin, dinner could have been anything.

I'm doing the traditional boil. Corned beef, cabbage, potatoes.

DIY brining looks very interesting....I'd be interested to know how big the difference in flavor is as opposed to a store bought corned beef.

Update....

Yet again, my local butcher (Giovanni Meat's) didn't let me down! They carved me up a fresh brisket flat upon my arrival (nearly 5.5 lbs). Oh, man this looks good!

To start the Brine, I deviated from the recipe I posted above for reference. I combined 6 cups of water with 1 cup of Kosher Salt and 1 cup of Brown Sugar in a stock pot. Brought the water to a boil and stirred until dissolved. Took off heat and brought the water to room temperature.

At that point, I sliced the brisket in half as it was a massive hunk of meat! Two even pieces would surely fit better in a stockpot. I then cut a bunch of slits in the meat and coated 1/2 cup of Corned Beef Spices (a fresh mix from Penzey's Spices) over both sides of meat and packed down firmly as you would a rub.

Added the brisket to the brown sugar/kosher salt water and topped with more water until the meat was completely covered. Added a small plate on top of the meat so it stayed submerged in the brine. Wrapped the pot with plastic wrap and placed the whole thing in the fridge.

Here's some pictures of the brining process. I won't touch this again until Tuesday..

Attachments

• CIMG2034.JPG
    CIMG2034.JPG
    241.2 KB · Views: 170
  • CIMG2046.JPG
    CIMG2046.JPG
    222.9 KB · Views: 184
  • CIMG2045.JPG
    CIMG2045.JPG
    402.4 KB · Views: 181
  • CIMG2044.JPG
    CIMG2044.JPG
    210.8 KB · Views: 179
  • CIMG2043.JPG
    CIMG2043.JPG
    262.9 KB · Views: 164
  • CIMG2042.JPG
    CIMG2042.JPG
    204.3 KB · Views: 179
  • CIMG2040.JPG
    CIMG2040.JPG
    267.7 KB · Views: 189
  • CIMG2038.JPG
    CIMG2038.JPG
    246.8 KB · Views: 187
  • CIMG2036.JPG
    CIMG2036.JPG
    241.7 KB · Views: 199
An Irish Saint Patrick's Day Toast.....

Saint Patrick was a gentleman,
Who through strategy and stealth,
Drove all the snakes from Ireland,
Here’s a toasting to his health.
But not too many toastings
Lest you lose yourself and then
Forget the good Saint Patrick
And see all those snakes again.

'Beannachtam na Feile Padraig!'
Happy St. Patrick's Day!

The Finished Product

I took the meat out of the brine and rinsed with cold water.

Sauteed carrots, celery, onions and garlic and lined the bottom of the pots with the veggies, placed the meat on top and covered in water. (The brisket was too big to fit in one pot, so I had to cut in half and cooked briskets separately). In one pot, I also threw in the cabbage, cut in wedges. Bring water to a simmer for 15 minutes, cover and put in oven at 300Fº for 3 hours. Let the meat rest for 15 minutes before slicing.

The meat turned out sooo tender and flavorful. I could've used a butter knife to slice. All in all, I'm happy with the results and the brining process. It definitely gives the corned beef a level of taste that was superior to any other pre-brined packaged corned beef I've ever had. The advantage of cooking in the oven is to keep the cook at a constant temperature, which by boiling can sometime be harder to control.

The root vegetables served in a bed of herb butter and corned beef broth was also a big hit.

And now, without further adu. The pictures. Keep in mind, the beef isn't as "pink" as a typical store bought corned beef. The pink comes from a nitrate preservative that is usually injected in the store bought versions. It doesn't alter the taste in any way, it just gives it a pink coloring. With that said, I didn't inject my homemade brisket with the nitrate additive so it's more of a greyish color....

Attachments

• CIMG2069.JPG
    CIMG2069.JPG
    204.6 KB · Views: 171
  • CIMG2068.JPG
    CIMG2068.JPG
    240.3 KB · Views: 168
  • CIMG2064.JPG
    CIMG2064.JPG
    214 KB · Views: 175
  • CIMG2060.JPG
    CIMG2060.JPG
    144.4 KB · Views: 180
  • CIMG2055.JPG
    CIMG2055.JPG
    303.4 KB · Views: 163
  • CIMG2050.JPG
    CIMG2050.JPG
    285.6 KB · Views: 166
  • CIMG2070.JPG
    CIMG2070.JPG
    308.9 KB · Views: 179

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)