Strategy for getting out-of-market local channels

Are you trying to get SD or HD locals?

Here's the deep south beam you are asking about.

Honestly, it doesn't matter. I am more interested in getting the out-of-market FSN and SportSouth without blackouts. If I get locals in HD, that is just gravy, since mine are not available in HD.

Honestly, it doesn't matter. I am more interested in getting the out-of-market FSN and SportSouth without blackouts. If I get locals in HD, that is just gravy, since mine are not available in HD.
If you can pull in 129 then you should be in luck.

First - They go by physical address not billing. You must provide an address, that does not have Dish service, from the area you want to STEAL the channels from.

Second - If you should have any problems with your sytem your screwed because they will go to the installed address listed.

Third - You are screwing anyones shot at getting service at the fake address you give.

Fourth - You will be committing an illegal act.

Wow, what "Off-The-Wall" and uninformed comments! So does that mean a cable customer who gets multiple DMA local channels with his service is stealing? You need to educate yourself on what cable vs satellite companies are currently allowed to offer. :p

First - They go by physical address not billing. You must provide an address, that does not have Dish service, from the area you want to STEAL the channels from.

Second - If you should have any problems with your sytem your screwed because they will go to the installed address listed.

Third - You are screwing anyones shot at getting service at the fake address you give.

Fourth - You will be committing an illegal act.

This person seems quite knowledgeable about something they consider illegal. Hmmmm...

And talk about passive-aggressive: Somewhat accurate (though incomplete) information, but condemning at the same time!

Last I checked, telling a lie is not a crime (a sin, yes, but that's a discussion for the pit).

Actually, it is. Entering into a contract with intent to defraud falls into fraud, perjury (unless you're smart enough to admit lying to a company, thereby admitting fraud once you're in court, and you will be), theft, and if they have a decent lawyer probably conspiracy to do any of the first three.

Said it before, I'll say it again. People are all happy with getting something for free until they get caught, then they'll be crying about how unfair life is.

Actually, it is. Entering into a contract with intent to defraud falls into fraud, perjury (unless you're smart enough to admit lying to a company, thereby admitting fraud once you're in court, and you will be), theft, and if they have a decent lawyer probably conspiracy to do any of the first three.

Said it before, I'll say it again. People are all happy with getting something for free until they get caught, then they'll be crying about how unfair life is.
Perhaps you are right. I was speaking of lying in general; I do not know about the contractual angle. I was disputing the OP's statement that lying is an illegal act. Lying with intent to commit fraud... Hmm.

However, you got off track in saying "something for free". As mentioned several times in this thread, there is no issue of receiving a product or service without payment - the only issue is the legality of paying for and receiving a product/service that is desired over one that is determined by a third party. I'll wager that most people who choose to do this would be more of the mind, "well, it was good while it lasted" if they should be discovered and lose the market they chose.

Either way, Dish is very unlikely to prosecute as they are not losing anything. Prosecution would mean the loss of a paying customer.

What is "unfair" is the current law regarding DMAs and out of market signals. I am always amazed when customers are willing to pay for a product or service that the vendors refuse to offer. But that is a discussion for another thread. ;)

Perhaps you are right. I was speaking of lying in general; I do not know about the contractual angle. I was disputing the OP's statement that lying is an illegal act. Lying with intent to commit fraud... Hmm.

However, you got off track in saying "something for free". As mentioned several times in this thread, there is no issue of receiving a product or service without payment - the only issue is the legality of paying for and receiving a product/service that is desired over one that is determined by a third party. I'll wager that most people who choose to do this would be more of the mind, "well, it was good while it lasted" if they should be discovered and lose the market they chose.

Either way, Dish is very unlikely to prosecute as they are not losing anything. Prosecution would mean the loss of a paying customer.

What is "unfair" is the current law regarding DMAs and out of market signals. I am always amazed when customers are willing to pay for a product or service that the vendors refuse to offer. But that is a discussion for another thread. ;)

Not to you, but Charlie likes his dollars. I have a feeling a customer getting "something for free" wouldn't rub him the right way.

As far as DISH not prosecuting, you don't know Charlie very well do you? You cut Charlie off on the freeway to work you're likely to get sued.

"Significantly Viewed" is the answer if DBS would fully embrace this and work out whatever issues are holding this up for us subscribers. If you don't know, the FCC allowed "Significantly Viewed" channels to be offered to qualifying DBS subscribers about 3 years ago. Such local channels are like the ones that many cable subscribers receive; popular channels in a subscriber's adjacent TV market. I believe this would eliminate the majority of "moving" by DBS subscribers, because don't "movers" typically just want to receive channels from their closest TV market which in many cases is not their "home" market or DMA?

Eric

um, you need to catch up a little bit. Dish cannot sell distant stations/sV stations due to the DNS issue that they lost last year and had to shut off all distants

So, it sounds like there are some questions about the legality of doing this. I don't want to do anything that run me afoul of the law or the FCC or whoever. If someone could clear that up, I would appreciate it.

The act of transmitting a lie via electronic means in order to obtain programing (property) illegally is covered in Federal "Cyber Crimes" laws.

18 U.S.C. 1343. Fraud by Wire, Radio, or Television

Assisting a person to do so is also illegal: 47 U.S.C. 605. Unauthorized Publication or Use of Communications

"No person not being entitled thereto shall receive or assist in receiving any interstate or foreign communication by radio and use such communication (or any information therein contained) for his own benefit or for the benefit of another not entitled thereto."

Last edited:
Sounds like more of a Tort issue than criminal law issue. Either way, I have nothing more to add to this conversation - it's getting too much like a "pit" issue. :)

For those that want to carry on - enjoy the debate!

This guys problem is the perfect example why dish network, the other networks, and the feds should allow someone to purchase out of market local channels. You're already gonna get the local channels where you are so why not allow others in addition? I have had this problem ever since I had a C-band dish. I even got a letter from each of the local channels denying me the outside networks. (of which I had to get approval of)

Aside from all law issues, the one thing you should consider being in Arkansas (Central time zone) and "moving to" Atlanta would make your guide data in the Eastern time zone ( one hour off) and very confusing for you to use???

I too am in Arkansas and use a central address.

um, you need to catch up a little bit. Dish cannot sell distant stations/sV stations due to the DNS issue that they lost last year and had to shut off all distants

I REALLY don't think the two are related. DNS and Significantly Viewed are not the same. There's the DNS (Distant Network Stations) issue, which yes DISH lost. The FCC ruling to which I am referring is called the Satellite Home Viewer Extension and Reauthorization Act of 2004 (SHVERA), which is a modifed version of The Satellite Home Viewer Improvement Act of 1999 (SHVIA) which originally brought "local-into-local" service for DBS viewers. In late 2004, the 1999 act was modified to allow DBS providers to attain similar characteristics as many cable operators with regard to local channels. Especially in rural areas, cable operators provide local channels from the market in which the cable company is located along with channels from an adjacent market. The SHVERA Act of 2004 allows satellite providers the same advantage. But don't take my word for it...read the FCC documentation at the following links:

The Satellite Home Viewer Extension and Reauthorization Act of 2004

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/significantviewedstations.pdf

Very good points.... Problem is, this site condones, if not encourages, "moving". The argument is, nothing is being "stolen", i.e. you're paying E* for the channels you're getting, therefore it's "okay".

What I find extremely frustrating and illogical is the injunction imposed by United States District Judge William Dimitrouleas’ back in Dec 2006, was the total ban of providing distant networks by Dish. I live in Dothan, AL. We have the local into local service here. There is no NBC affiliate in Dothan. The nearest ones are either Montgomery, AL or Panama City, FL. Both channels are provided by Dish into those respective cities. The FCC lists the station from PCB, FL as a 'significantly viewed' for the Dothan area but the injunction still bans Dish from letting me receive it. The transmitter is 59 miles from my house so I would need a big antenna on the roof or some expensive tower, to pick it up. The stations won't sign the waiver required for AllAmericanDirect to give me an Atlanta NBC, so I am screwed unless I spend a ton of money (I have even emailed the station manager at WJHG about the waiver reason for declining and got no responce). I have a friend who lives just across the AL and FL line who has Dish and their house is not allowed to get the Dothan CBS channel because the DMA is at the state line so it is a 'distant network'. The transmitting tower for the Dothan station is like 5 miles from their house (in FL)! Sure it's easy enough to pickup with an antenna but unless you have one of the ViP receivers that can add digital channels to your guide, you must constanly switch your TV input from Antenna to Video 1, or something like that. It's never unified.
I would like to see the injunction modified to allow Dish to provide at least the "significantly viewed" channels that are in the FCC's publication. They should NOT be catagorized as distant. There must be many, many households like mine that don't have all 4 networks local to their city.
Wish I could watch Dateline or Heroes. Guess I can watch it on the internet.

Thebert99,
I also am in Arkansas, in the Russellville area (Dover). When Dish lost the ability to give us Distant Networks, it took only one phone call to All American to get my distant networks back on Dish on channels 241-248, you will get the 4 major networks from Atlanta, as well as the same 4 from San Francisco 3 hours later for time shift purposes. In addition, we get all the locals on Dish from Little Rock on channels 4, 7, 11, and 16 at the same time they are broadcast from Atlanta on channels 241, 243, 245, and 247. Can't solve the FSN problem for you, unfortunately we are stuck with FSSW from Dallas, so just suffer along with the rest of us and become a Dallas and/or Houston fan for professional sports.

Injunction Change

I have written to Senator Shelby complaining about my access (or lack of) to NBC programming, who then sent a letter to the director of the FCC to give me guidance on this issue. The FCC sent me a multipage letter informing me of the injunction issued by Federal court that the FCC can do nothing about. The only solution for Dish is to get the injunction modified to ALLOW the addition of "Significantly View" stations (which are listed in an FCC publication) to their Locals package for various cities. Sure if you are in a big town and have all 4 already, no problem. I am thinking about writing a letter to Mr Richard Cotton who is VP and General Council for NBC to get his opinion on this matter (since NBC is totally losing a household because of this). If I want to have cable channels 2-13 from Time-Warner, it will cost me $20/month for just one useful channel (the NBC from Panama City). I have called AllAmerican and they said they cannot give me Atlanta NBC without the waivers from the NBC affiliate in Montgomery (who OKed the waiver) AND the NBC affiliate in PC, FL (who have not approved the waiver). I think Comcast and Time-Warner somehow got to the judge or else he didn't know about significantly viewed stations. It just feels somewhat injust that the only way I can access NBC now, is pay TWC $20/mo for 1 useful channel or spend $1000 on a 100' high tower (due to the proximity of pine trees), and wouldn't that look great in this restricted neighborhood I live in.

On satelliteguys.us, personal integrity is valued at $5.99

:D

If you want the SEC, why not get memphis? Most people in arkansas over here would love to switch places with me. The #1 E* complaint here is that they can't get LR channels. You are a heck of a lot closer to that beam, anywho.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts