Streaming with Blockbuster Thread

...but that doesn't change the fact that streaming isn't about downloading and viewing later. It's about selecting it and streaming at that time.

Every movie I select, I get the message:
Watch in xm. Title will be stored in DISH Cinema - My Rentals for 10 days.

Where x is the number of minutes.

What does "x" range from ? Also, it often starts out saying, for example, "26 minutes..." but then adjusts, usually down.

To those who are talking about not being able to download and store movies because they are disappearing...that is not what streaming is supposed to be. Obviously there are those who will point out we may not yet have true streaming by pure definition at this time and I won't argue that point...although every movie in HD I've tried to watch has started virtually instantly with no issues at all.

However, my point is that to expect to be able to download and store "streaming" titles for later viewing is unrealistic. You can't do that with Netflix, either. And yes, I know some will point out they can watch Netflix streaming but can't get Dish to work right...but that doesn't change the fact that streaming isn't about downloading and viewing later. It's about selecting it and streaming at that time.

When I view a movie that says "streaming" it shows bars of quality so I know it's streaming. If I don't finish watching the movie it is saved to my hard drive for latter viewing. So although there's a maixmum amount of time to keep the title you are able to save a streamed movie unlike Netflix.Also on titles that say viewing available in 20 minutes i am able to start the movie as soon as Dish processes my movie request. Virutally instantaneous imho. I've never had any problems using it either.

Every movie I select, I get the message:
Watch in xm. Title will be stored in DISH Cinema - My Rentals for 10 days.

Where x is the number of minutes.
My daughter just picked "Tangled". It started at 34m, quickly dropped to 12m, then 10m, then 14m, and now at 8m.

Yep.....Charlie should be paying us for this......I see it comes complete with the signature 722 audio drops. It seems that this technology could eventually replace not only the DVR, but a good percentage of satellite subscribers altogether............IF and when they get it together in a working user friendly fashion.

I use my DVR almost every day of the week...the pipe may be big enough in 20 years to support/permit streaming of all content, but I definitely don't see that happening for a long time...

My daughter just picked "Tangled". It started at 34m, quickly dropped to 12m, then 10m, then 14m, and now at 8m.

Mine starts high but drops quickly, I'm able to begin watching something within a couple minutes. But really my comment was in response to the claim that we shouldn't be able to download now and watch later but that's exactly how it works. Now if there were only something worth watching...

Mine starts high but drops quickly, I'm able to begin watching something within a couple minutes. But really my comment was in response to the claim that we shouldn't be able to download now and watch later but that's exactly how it works. Now if there were only something worth watching...

There's been quite a few streaming not downloaded titles that i started to watch but finished the next day for i just let it save the balance to the hard drive. I still only have the amount of days to view it like a downloaded movie has. I of course too can't save it for lonerm use. Unless of course one captures the audio/video from the analog outs to a captur card. Something I coud do but wouldn't be bothered to do.

Well.......I've been streaming for four days wireless.....all my saved programs are gone again...requiring the second reboot...IF it even works. I'm going to just unplug the wireless adapter and call it a $15. loss....not at all worth the aggravation.

Heck, I have never had a movie saved overnight, and I'm using ethernet. I find movies I have downloaded using DO, but they won't play.
Dan

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)