Study finds high prices, hamstrung players limiting Blu-ray's dominance

gadgtfreek

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
May 29, 2006
Lower Alabama
Study finds high prices, hamstrung players limiting Blu-ray's dominance - Engadget HD

ABI Research has just confirmed feelings that we've had for months: Blu-ray just isn't going to dominate the market until prices sink down from the stratosphere and players emerge that are fully-featured. A new study from the previously mentioned firm has suggested that we still have "12 to 18 months" before the BD market really kicks into gear, and it specifies that "fully-featured" decks need to come in at $200 or below before the general public will consider coughing up the cash required to make the jump to high-definition media.

While I agree that they need to drop, I think once they get below the $299 price point it will help. Im glad to see that the new Sammy is looking to stay at $399 msrp.

This study wins the "no-duh" award.

When you can buy a full-featured $90 standard DVD player, or $150 recorder with component or HDMI which looks great (no, not as good as BD, but still fabulous!) why in heaven's name should a regular joe (not a videophile) in their right mind spend $400 for a player in order to them have to spend twice as much for a BD DVD? If he buys a regular version of the DVD he might as well have just bought the $90 or $150 DVD player/recorder.

See ya
Tony <---17 years ago bought LD player and forever cured of this kind of stuff. :)

Hehe. I wonder how much these firms get paid to state the obvious :D . My only disagreement with you Tony is that BD's dont cost twice as much as DVD's. Not even close in some cases.

CaptainobviousChooseOption.jpg

Sorry Rocky, could not resist.

The point still holds true. BD are significantly higher than standard right now in most places. That will change in the future if the BD players are going to take off.

See ya
Tony

Great quote you have :rolleyes:

Amazon.com: Underworld Evolution [Blu-ray]: Kate Beckinsale,Scott Speedman,Tony Curran,Shane Brolly,Derek Jacobi,Bill Nighy,Steven Mackintosh,Zita Görög,Brian Steele,Scott McElroy,John Mann (II),Michael Sheen,Sophia Myles,Richard Cetrone,Mike Mukatis

You guys like to find the most outworld link with the most ridiculous price and think its fact. Guess what, its not the realistic price that most of us pay, get over it. $19.95

Im still amazed that some of you go out of the way to search for the most unrealistic price and quote it as the norm. Must be nice not having a life huh? Did you really quote Buy.com vs amazon?? Jerky nuts. :haha

It is so lame that you guys continue to accuse BD's of being that much more pricey than dvd's. Get over it.

We have guys with $2000 tv's and $500 rcvr's complaining about $399 players and $25 discs. Boohoo

:river

Must be nice not having a life huh? nuts. :haha
You just posted 5 times between 3:20am to 3:43am!!! Who needs to get a life???

It is so lame that you guys continue to accuse BD's of being that much more pricey than dvd's. Get over it.

We have guys with $2000 tv's and $500 rcvr's complaining about $399 players and $25 discs. Boohoo

:river
Who the hell is going to build their library at $25 a pop? Accept its a niche format "get over it".

Who the hell is going to build their library at $25 a pop? Accept its a niche format "get over it".

$25, I thought it was $35?

I think it'd be best for you to avoid this forum, you obviously are still sore over HDDVD and the prices, so 95% of your posts are skewed and negative. I personally dont see what you gain from being in here, unless you just enjoy complaining.

BTW, I worked late last night(some of us have a job) and could not sleep, the posts were spread out because two of them had all the links.

You just posted 5 times between 3:20am to 3:43am!!! Who needs to get a life???

The same people that bought DVDs at an inflation adjusted price above $25. Face it, BDs are cheaper than 1997 DVDs, even less when you factor in inflation.

Look at it this way, in 1997 DVDs were 2x the price of a fillup, now BD are about 1/2 the price of a fillup...

Make the fillup 10 times the BD price and people will not only abandon BDs, they will stop buying DVDs...:)

Average DVD price in 2007 was $15 (1.7B discs sold), BD - $30 (before subsidies).
BDA hopes to drop 2008 BD average to $25. DVD probably won't change.

Diogen.

The same people that bought DVDs at an inflation adjusted price above $25. Face it, BDs are cheaper than 1997 DVDs, even less when you factor in inflation.

Look at it this way, in 1997 DVDs were 2x the price of a fillup, now BD are about 1/2 the price of a fillup...
Sorry to challange your math related to filling up your gas tank but the price of gas has less to do with inflation then geopolitical issues. When Bush took office oil was $20 per barrel. It’s now near $120.

Its all about perceived value. To J6P is BD that much better then DVD? I think not. But its no doubt that DVD was revolutionary compared to VHS so the masses were more willing to pay for that premium.

I don't buy the whole "inflation" or "you gotta pay more because it's better" arguments. Nope. I expect to pay less for electronics as time advances. BluRay has been advancing for what, almost two years now? I replaced a 10 year old SD rear projection 60" TV with a much better 65" HD one. Cost me half as much for that replacement as the original TV. My first calculator cost me $149 (or $169 - I can't remember). Now you get similarly functioning ones as free giveaways. My first computer was over $3500. I build them myself now for less than $800.

If BluRay expects people to patiently wait years and years for the prices to go down, they'll miss the boat. HDDVD would have been subject to that too. While their player prices were more in line with reality, their media prices were no better than BluRays. I'm afraid that the general population would view people who spend large amounts of money on minor improvements as having too much money, or too little brains. BluRay views them as their primary customer base. And it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy ... they will REMAIN BluRays primary customer base.

I simply will not Buy BD for more than 20 bucks. I refuse. I bought 2 BD the other day from amazon (my first discs since HD DVD went under) for 40 dollars, 20 a piece and one HD DVD. I have wanted to buy but the prices are too damn high.

Panny BD30 & Denon AVR2807

WWE finally going Blu..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)