Sunday Ticket - 1080P

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Building

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jan 6, 2006
I saw an ad for DirectTV in my Sunday paper claiming their Sunday Ticket would be in broadcast in 1080P this season. Is this a misprint? Do they have the bandwidth available and the capability to do live 1080P? If they do, do you think it will work? I would have to consider switching from Dish for this.

I've not seen anything about 1080p for NLF-ST games, especially since CBS and FOX would need to upgrade their networks to shoot the games in 1080p. Do you have the ad and can scan and upload here or quote the ad for us?

Last edited:
its BS, Fox broadcasts in 720p and CBS broadcasts in 1080i.

I saw an ad for DirectTV in my Sunday paper claiming their Sunday Ticket would be in broadcast in 1080P this season. Is this a misprint? Do they have the bandwidth available and the capability to do live 1080P? If they do, do you think it will work? I would have to consider switching from Dish for this.
Maybe the NFL SF "Short Cuts" On Demand, which is an edited replay of all the games will be in 1080p?

I've not seen anything about 1080p for NLF-ST games, especially since CBS and FOX would need to upgrade their networks to shoot the games in 1080p. Do you have the add and can scan and upload here or quote the ad for us?

I have to totally agree. There is NO WAY the networks are ready to go 1080p. Honestly, I've been in TV production for over 30 yrs. and 1080i vs. 1080p is beyond my recognition without instrumentation. Maybe I'm just gettin' old.:cool:

Also, if you're considering D* just because NFL ST is in 1080p, but won't watch it in 720p/1080i...then you must have really fallen for the 1080p marketing BS

I have to totally agree. There is NO WAY the networks are ready to go 1080p. Honestly, I've been in TV production for over 30 yrs. and 1080i vs. 1080p is beyond my recognition without instrumentation. Maybe I'm just gettin' old.:cool:

Actually QVC HD just went 1080p....no provider is picking up its 1080p signal yet....just 1080i.

"On May 5, 2009, QVC began broadcasting a native 1080p HD signal, utilizing the full 16x9."

ASM, Inc. QVCHD

I saw that same DTV flyer ad in Sunday's paper as well. I didn't think about it much at the time since I figured that it was either a mis-print/mistake or perhaps referring to some of the SF features (Short Cut channels).

Threw it out

I've not seen anything about 1080p for NLF-ST games, especially since CBS and FOX would need to upgrade their networks to shoot the games in 1080p. Do you have the ad and can scan and upload here or quote the ad for us?

I don't have it anymore, but I'm sure I read it correctly.

OTA

Also, if you're considering D* just because NFL ST is in 1080p, but won't watch it in 720p/1080i...then you must have really fallen for the 1080p marketing BS

I prefer to pay nothing and watch my team over the air, but the 1080P was interesting since I do have a 1080P projector and a 120" screen.

Btw there is no additional bandwith requried for 1080P, Like 1080I the same bandwidth is required. Providers just like to pump more bandwidth into 1080P to make it "like Bluray" quality. :)

No. He's right. It is not a local ad. It's a Directv ad that folds and says 1080p for every game. I read it in the past 2 weeks newspapers on Sunday AM. I just took it as a misprint...but yes, it does state "see every game in 1080p." It is right below a picture of Eli Manning or beside it....

Btw there is no additional bandwith requried for 1080P, Like 1080I the same bandwidth is required. Providers just like to pump more bandwidth into 1080P to make it "like Bluray" quality. :)

1080p24 takes no more bandwidth than 1080i60. 1080p60 takes more bandwidth than 1080i60. DirecTV only sends 1080p24, but I wanted to be clear.

No. He's right. It is not a local ad. It's a Directv ad that folds and says 1080p for every game. I read it in the past 2 weeks newspapers on Sunday AM. I just took it as a misprint...but yes, it does state "see every game in 1080p." It is right below a picture of Eli Manning or beside it....

Doesnt anyone have a scanner ???

Nope. no scanner but I have a digital camera. When the battery charges I'll try to post the pic. I dug the DTV flyer ad out from my newspaper bin and we're reading it correctly. Here's the exact wording:

DTV ad from Sunday's DAllas Morning News said:
NFL ST HD See every game in stunning 1080p and Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound. That's every matchup, tackle, and bead of sweat in heart-pounding HD.

It's next to Eli's picture getting ready to throw a pass (not to Toomer....he's a
Chief now).

The same ad also mentions SF with "New for 2009". Not sure what it's referring to with that. Are there new SF features coming for this season?

Just felt like quoting some truth; you will be happy with >720p & even some original DVD's (Sin City) are amazing just up-converted to your sets highest resolution. No major networks have plans to upgrade to any 1080p broadcast so the point is useless but there are more data packets involved in downloading/broadcasting full 1080p content. It takes 12 hours to download a typical 1920x1080p @ 24hz & slightly under 8 hrs for the same movie interlaced (I wish I knew the fps for the interlaced to make the test fair) but either way you should be happy with 720p or greater. Bob, I believe you are spot on in your broadcast analysis.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)