Sunday Ticket Negotiations

Status
Please reply by conversation.

nelson61

SatelliteGuys Master
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
Where it's Warm
The New Year's day edition of the LA Times has a feature story on DIRECTV/NFL Sunday Ticket negotiations.

It's a lot more complicated than just the contract price.

Opening up Sunday Ticket to a larger market (cable) would damage the market value of other NFL contracts for regional or network carriers.

But Wow, it looks like a big price increase (40 percent to start and a yearly add on to boot).

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-...utm_source=feedburner&track=rss#axzz2pAPeSERh

CK SatGuy

Formerly ckhalil18
Feb 7, 2011
The Motor City
This is the paragraph that intrigues me the most from the article:

One reason cited by industry observers is that as the NFL seeks to exploit new opportunities and create additional revenue streams, the value of an exclusive package with one distributor could diminish both for the league and the provider.

I said this before but I wouldn't be surprised if Goodell decides to put games on Tuesday and/or Wednesday nights and to either devalue ST on purpose or get rid of it completely in the near future after this new contract would be finished. Why? Because the NFL would make more money in the long term by creating more national packages for cable networks to buy than to just rely on Directv to pay for an exclusive package.

Jimbo

SatelliteGuys Master
Lifetime Supporter
Cutting Edge
Jul 14, 2005
NW Ohio - Buckeye Country

One reason cited by industry observers is that as the NFL seeks to exploit new opportunities and create additional revenue streams, the value of an exclusive package with one distributor could diminish both for the league and the provider.

I said this before but I wouldn't be surprised if Goodell decides to put games on Tuesday and/or Wednesday nights and to either devalue ST on purpose or get rid of it completely in the near future after this new contract would be finished. Why? Because the NFL would make more money in the long term by creating more national packages for cable networks to buy than to just rely on Directv to pay for an exclusive package.

Well that would SAVE us subs a TON of money and D* themselves a couple tons of money.

Some of the stuff people are presuming Won't happen ...IF they decide to do a Non Exclusive next time around, D* will still have the Sunday Ticket, theres No way they are gonna just drop it all together ... if they did, you would see mass movement from D* to other subscribers that would then HAVE ST.

Last edited:

Jimbo

SatelliteGuys Master
Lifetime Supporter
Cutting Edge
Jul 14, 2005
And water the brand down more if they had Wednesday & Thursday games... I rarely watch the Thursday night games as it is.

I'm the same as you, rarely ever watch the Thursday game unless my team is playing or I have NOTHING to do.

I think the NFL would be stupid to even consider Tuesday and Wednesday games.

Hutch1814

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jun 18, 2011
Indiana
But would this open up all games? Being in Indiana where would I catch the 49ers every Sunday without the Sunday ticket? I think just the sake of me this would be a horrible idea :D

Jimbo

SatelliteGuys Master
Lifetime Supporter
Cutting Edge
Jul 14, 2005
But would this open up all games? Being in Indiana where would I catch the 49ers every Sunday without the Sunday ticket? I think just the sake of me this would be a horrible idea :D

The ST would still be available, but it would be thru your local Cable Co or D*, not sure if DISH would pony up the money to get into it or not.

IF it eventually goes Non Exclusive, I would like to see the NFL offer a two team package for like $75 p/yr

Joe The Dragon

SatelliteGuys Pro
Sep 19, 2008

they tryed to put games on NBCSN but NBC / comcast said no to the part that local games must be on a local OTA channel as well.

Claude Greiner

SatelliteGuys Master
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
Detroit - The Paris of the Midwest
The ST would still be available, but it would be thru your local Cable Co or D*, not sure if DISH would pony up the money to get into it or not.

IF it eventually goes Non Exclusive, I would like to see the NFL offer a two team package for like $75 p/yr

Not as long as Charlie Ergen owns Dish.

I do like the idea of buying just your favorite team

acostapimps

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jan 31, 2012
Illinois
There's no need for politics here, as this is a sat forum not a political forum, there's plenty other site forums for that.

dishcomm

SatelliteGuys Master
Nov 29, 2005
suburbia

Charlie could not care less about sports programming.
He has made it abundantly clear that is he can't make money from it, it's not on his system..
A few years ago, He said in a Chat "If you want Sunday Ticket, go to Directv"...............
Anyway, even if I make the switch to D*, I will not get ST. Don't need it. I can keep track of the games on my computer and listen on line through my satellite radio account.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)