Super Joey Mirroring/Remote Questions

WiCkeDuDe

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 16, 2005
Utah
I have a Hopper with Sling and one Joey currently on my system. I have toyed with the idea of mirroring the Joey to my garage in the past but never did due to hearing the Joey remotes had very limited range compared to the older remotes.

Im now thinking of upgrading to a Super Joey and im wondering if the remote ranges are any greater? I realize I would have to modulate the signal back to coax and I have researched that. Just not come up with a great solution on the remotes.

I also need to add my OTA antenna in the system as I got the dongle for the Hopper last week. If I have read correctly OTA cannot be diplexed into the Hopper system anywhere?

Thanks!

Well I had not decided exactly where the Joey would be based how I'm still researching the best way to wire or go to a super Joey. However I would guess it could be as little as 40 feet or up to 70 feet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Turn on the Joey you want to mirror from. Carry it's remote to the garage. Using that remote in the garage, change the channel. Go back to the TV that the Joey is connected to. Does it show the channel that you changed to? That is the easiest way to determine if the distance is too far or if it will work.

Yeah I didn't think about trying that before adding the modulator. Good idea!

Well I had not decided exactly where the Joey would be based how I'm still researching the best way to wire or go to a super Joey. However I would guess it could be as little as 40 feet or up to 70 feet.

A lot depends on wall/obstructions between the two. At a little under 40', we sometimes have iffy performance. I would say 70' would be problematic, assuming there would be at least two walls ( 1 exterior).

I have done that in my backyard to my main TV, I would say about 40', worked. Haven't done it in over 2 years though.

Yeah I didn't think about trying that before adding the modulator. Good idea!

Also try out the Hopper remote in the garage, it might work better. If it does, then you could install the modulator on the Hopper if you have a coax running to the garage.

I guess I don't remember correctly? I thought the hopper remotes were ir?

Hopper and Joey 40.0 remotes are the same. RF for the Hopper/Joey and IR for the TV, AV, DVD players, etc.

Thanks for clarifying. Does the Super Joey use the 40.0 as well I assume then?

I will try the remote in the garage a bit later tonight. The idea of running a third line down from the dish is kinda turning me off to the Super Joey...

The remote seemed to work pretty well actually in the garage.

Can someone remind me why the regular Joey has a external antenna but it can't be extended? I read about this awhile back but forgot.

Now I need to buy a decent modulator

That's right you are correct. When I was looking at the back of the Joey today I for some reason thought it had a external antenna. I think I'm losing it lol.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)