Surge protectors

erict

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 10, 2008
I am looking for something to help protect my equipment from surges and brownouts. Not sure if this is what everyone calls a line conditioner? I don't need any power backup. Any suggestions would be helpful. My budget is around $150.

Thanks charper1. The reason I've included my budget amount is if someone is going to recommend a product they will know what I can afford and recommend a product that does not exceed that. I know there are a lot of models out there with different levels of protection. I am just looking for one that has good features in that range.

Panamax makes some great surge protectors. We had a power surge about 3 months ago in the office, which blew out about (40) Panamax surge protectors.

However I was much happer to replace 40 surge protectors which Panamax covered under warranty than have to replace equipment!

The other option would be to look into getting a good battery backup like people use for their computers! In my opinion, battery backups work just as good if not better since it protects agenst when the power goes out for a few seconds which is just enough to reset everything!

I agree with Claude I would go with a good UPS.

Like I said I really don't need a battery backup. But since you recommend a ups what is a good brand and model number to go with. I guess I need a ups/avr since I would like surge and brownout protection.

I have my entire system protected with an APC UPS battery back up system. I bought it at Sam's Club for about $100. It is about 1100 watts. It backs up my Sony ES receiver, 65" Mitsu, 622 DVR, and a DVD player. I also have a Monster Cable Line conditioner, however, I do not notice any big improvements over just the battery back up. We get alot of short power outages and alot of thunderstorms with potential for lightning strikes with subsequent power surges so a battery backup/surge protector is cheap insurance. Also have used alot of APC backups at my office for our LAN and not had any problems yet. :)

Panamax makes some great surge protectors. We had a power surge about 3 months ago in the office, which blew out about (40) Panamax surge protectors.

However I was much happer to replace 40 surge protectors which Panamax covered under warranty than have to replace equipment!

The other option would be to look into getting a good battery backup like people use for their computers! In my opinion, battery backups work just as good if not better since it protects agenst when the power goes out for a few seconds which is just enough to reset everything!

I have 4 PANAMAX surge protectors (2 MAX8DBS5, 1 M8HC-PRO, 1 M8DBS-EX). They all claim to have SurgeGate circuitry which provides over-voltage shutoff. What model(s) of PANAMAX did you have which were destroyed by a voltage surge? The ones I have are also supposedly DishPro approved and have dual satellite coax protection useful for dual tuners (222 622 & 722).

How do you use an UPS and still keep the PANAMAX warranty for connected equipment valid?

Last edited:
I run my entire home theater system on 2 UPS's.. it's nice I could keep my 62" TV, stereo, dish box, xbox, wii, etc.. running for 30-45 minutes without worry.. :)

I got the white version of these from costco.. they were around 120 or so.. so worth it.. I've had lightning strikes not even phase these things (my poor tivo wasn't so lucky, it wasn't even on a power strip oops)..

APC BACK-UPS RS 1300VA LCD 120V

I run my entire home theater system on 2 UPS's.. it's nice I could keep my 62" TV, stereo, dish box, xbox, wii, etc.. running for 30-45 minutes without worry.. :)

I got the white version of these from costco.. they were around 120 or so.. so worth it.. I've had lightning strikes not even phase these things (my poor tivo wasn't so lucky, it wasn't even on a power strip oops)..

APC BACK-UPS RS 1300VA LCD 120V

Same here, I had my APC for over 2 years now, and I am happy with it, we get random power outages here, maybe around 10-15 a year...but when it does, it really sucks.
So far APC didn't give me any problems yet.

Here's another question. When a UPS says 1200va what does this mean?

A volt-ampere in electrical terms, means the amount of apparent power in an alternating current circuit equal to a current of one ampere at an emf of one volt. It is equivalent to watts for non-reactive circuits.

Va = volt-amperes
kVa = 10,000 watts capability (where the SI prefix k equals kilo)
MVa = 10,000,000 watts capability (where M equals mega)

The number of volt-amperes shows how much power is supplied. Dividing this number by the voltage supplied, (usually 110V) yields the supply available.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts