Status
Please reply by conversation.

mrweather

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 27, 2006
Toronto, Canada
Here's the current scenario:

I have a Coolsat 5000. It's connected to a 4-port Diseqc switch. A fixed elliptical dish with two DBS LNBs (for FTA on 110 and 119) occupy two ports. A motorized 36" Fortec dish with one standard linear LNB (for all other FTA) occupies a third port.

I know I know, I'm not supposed to control a motor through said switch because it'll burn out... that's why I want to change it! :)

Anyway I saw some pictures here of guys strapping on a DBS LNB to a linear LNB and enjoying the best of both worlds. That's something I'd like to tinker with (and it's cheaper than a QPH-301).

Here's my proposed setup:

Motorized: Linear LNB + DBS LNB --> Diseqc --> motor --> Coolsat
Fixed: DBS LNB --> Coolsat

Since (obviously) the Coolsat has only one input how do I connect these two dishes together to allow independent control of each dish?

Assuming such a switch exists, what sort of changes would I have to make to the receiver setup to make it all work?

Thanks!

mrweather said:
Anyway I saw some pictures here of guys strapping on a DBS LNB to a linear LNB and enjoying the best of both worlds. That's something I'd like to tinker with (and it's cheaper than a QPH-301).

Here's my proposed setup:

Motorized: Linear LNB + DBS LNB --> Diseqc --> motor --> Coolsat
Fixed: DBS LNB --> Coolsat

Since (obviously) the Coolsat has only one input how do I connect these two dishes together to allow independent control of each dish?

Assuming such a switch exists, what sort of changes would I have to make to the receiver setup to make it all work?

Thanks!

I'm confused on what you are asking. I would just put the DBS LNB (fixed one) to the diseqc switch on an other port. So port 1 can be KU, port 2 DBS and port 3 fixed dbs. Thats what I use to have (fixed port was 119 for NASA and the audio)
Just set the motor on the coolsat to "off" for the fixed dish :)

Thanks for the suggestions. Sorry if I wasn't entirely clear.

What I've read so far is you shouldn't be passing motor power through a Diseqc switch because they can burn out. Layouts I've seen have a single coax line going to the motor, a coax jumper from the motor to the Diseqc switch and two jumpers from the switch to each of the LNBs.

The reason for having the fixed DBS dish (at 119 for example) is so I don't have to unnecessarily motor over to listen to music or watch Nasa TV.

You can't run a Diseqc switch in series with another Diseqc switch, right?

What I've read so far is you shouldn't be passing motor power through a Diseqc switch because they can burn out. Layouts I've seen have a single coax line going to the motor, a coax jumper from the motor to the Diseqc switch and two jumpers from the switch to each of the LNBs.
Correct on all points

The reason for having the fixed DBS dish (at 119 for example) is so I don't have to unnecessarily motor over to listen to music or watch Nasa TV.
Same here.

You can't run a Diseqc switch in series with another Diseqc switch, right?
No. You can run a 22k switch and a Diseqc in series.

Is the fixed dish close to the motorized? Can you just tap into that Diseqc with the fixed dish?

Receiver--->motor-->diseqc-->KU LNB port 1
------------------------------------>DBS LNB port 2
-----------------------------------> fixed dish port 3

Iceberg said:
Is the fixed dish close to the motorized? Can you just tap into that Diseqc with the fixed dish?

Receiver--->motor-->diseqc-->KU LNB port 1
------------------------------------>DBS LNB port 2
-----------------------------------> fixed dish port 3
Unfortunately the fixed dish as at the other end of the house. Admittedly yours would be the easiest solution since I already have everything!

Okay here's my latest brainwave... :D

Can I use a 22 kHz switch such that the fixed DBS dish comes on the 22 kHz side and motorized dish on the non-22 kHz side?

My idea:

Fixed DISH (DBS)
Satellite = 119 west
LO = 11250
DiSeqC = off
22 kHz = on

Motorized Dish (DBS + Linear)
Satellite = 110 west
LO = 11250
DiSeqC = on
DiSeqC Port = 1
22 kHz = off

Satellite = 79 west (for example)
LO = 10750
DiSeqC = on
DiSeqC Port = 2
22 kHz = off

And obviously in the motorized setup have the USALS info for each satellite on the motorized dish.

Would it work?

UPDATE:

I picked up a 22 kHz switch and tried hooking it up to the 4x1 Diseqc switch in the following fashion:

Coolsat
|
|
22 kHz switch --- 22 kHz ----> fixed DBS at 119
|
0 kHz
|
|
V
Diseqc --- 1 -----> fixed (temporarily) DBS at 110
|
|
|
V
motorized
std linear KU

In the Coolsat I set
119 to 22 kHz "on", diseqc "off"
110 to 22 kHz "off", diseqc "1.0", committed "1"
KU to 22 kHz "off", diseqc "1.0", committed "2"

No dice.:mad:

On 119 I get 94% signal and 94% quality. However, on the other two LNB's I get 24% signal and virtually no quality.

So I tried playing around. The 22 kHz switch on its own works fine. The 4x1 Diseqc on its own works fine. When they're hooked together it DOESN'T work.

It's almost as if the 22 kHz switch is blocking voltage to the Diseqc switch.

By my logic it should work. If no 22 kHz tone is sent, all signals should go through the 0 kHz port (which is hooked to the 4x1 Diseqc) and the receiver should be able to control the Diseqc ports as before. If a tone is sent, signals should only go through the 22 kHz port.

Or am I missing something fundamental in this whole exercise?

Help!?:confused:

Last edited:
mrweather said:
So I tried playing around. The 22 kHz switch on its own works fine. The 4x1 Diseqc on its own works fine. When they're hooked together it DOESN'T work.
It's almost as if the 22 kHz switch is blocking voltage to the Diseqc switch.
Please don't take what I say too seriously, as I've never used a 22khz switch. But, it seems to me like the diseqc switch isn't getting any voltage because you have it turned off. Not because the 22khz switch may be blocking it?
mrweather said:
Or am I missing something fundamental in this whole exercise?

Help!?:confused:
I really don't know, but I think in the settings for a sat that you're using the diseqc with, it will need to be turned on, otherwise, why would it work? I'm sure Ice can get you straightened out in the morning. I doubt I've helped, but that's how I figure it would work.
And another thing. If you only have 2 lnbf's (1 circular & 1 linear), why do you need the diseqc switch. Shouldn't the 22khz switch kind of take care of it.

Al

voomvoom said:
Please don't take what I say too seriously, as I've never used a 22khz switch. But, it seems to me like the diseqc switch isn't getting any voltage because you have it turned off. Not because the 22khz switch may be blocking it?
No worries Al. :) I have the Diseqc switch turned on in the settings on the Coolsat. I made sure of that!

And another thing. If you only have 2 lnbf's (1 circular & 1 linear), why do you need the diseqc switch. Shouldn't the 22khz switch kind of take care of it.
Yes it would, if I were running only 2 lnb's.

What I want to do is have one DBS lnb fixed at 119 for audio, and strap on :)eek: :D) a second DBS lnb to the standard KU lnb already on the motorized dish. Sort of like a poor-man's QPH-301. :) So I need some way of connecting 3 lnbs to one receiver. I thought this would be the right way to do it!

Thanks for your suggestions!

I think your problem is what Iceberg eluded to earlier. You need to change your cable run so that your receiver goes to the motor first....then to your diseqc...then to either your lnb or 22khz and lnb. Mine works perfectly on this setup.

RECVR--->VboxII---> sg2100 Motor--->Diseqc--->Port1 ( 22khz off C-Band LNB)
Port1 ( 22khz on KU Linear on Motorized Dish)
Port2 ( 22khz off KU Circular on Motorized Dish)
Port2 ( 22khz on 119 on Fixed Dish)
Port3 ( 22khz off 110 on Fixed Dish)
Port3 ( 22khz on 91 on Fixed dish)
Port4 is currently free

So to summarize I am running a motorized C-band dish with Diseqc 1.2 via my vbox II to control the actuator....a motorized sg2100 to control my QPH-031 KU Circular/Linear LNB (same as your strap-on experiment)...and 3 fixed LNBs all using 22khz switching...Leaving me a port to spare.

Believe me when I tell you....it can be done! All thanks to the wisdom of the guys around here. Only been here a year, but learn more and more every day!
:D

Hmmm, it seems I should be running coax to the motor first regardless.

Okay, I guess that means I'll have to do some dish rearranging (like moving the fixed dish to the back of the house where the motorized dish is).

Thanks all for the help! :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)