Switch safety

Status
Please reply by conversation.

qwert1515

SatelliteGuys TheList
Original poster
Sep 26, 2005
Los Angeles CA
Is it safe to use the power button on a FTA receiver to turn the receiver off , then turn the switch on the back of the receiver off, or could it cause damage to a Diseqc switch? I decided to check the voltage on the line with the power on and I measured 18 Volts, I then turned the receiver off with the power button and I still measured 18 Volts to the LNB.

if you need to remove the switch, always shut off power on the back.

The power "off" button on front just puts the receiver in standby.

Thanks Iceberg for the fast response, what I meant is, is it alright to turn the power off from the back of the receiver every night or could it damage the switch?

Thanks.

Is it safe to use the power button on a FTA receiver to turn the receiver off , then turn the switch on the back of the receiver off, or could it cause damage to a Diseqc switch? I decided to check the voltage on the line with the power on and I measured 18 Volts, I then turned the receiver off with the power button and I still measured 18 Volts to the LNB.

I see a possible problem with doing this. It's just like the old argument about leaving the computer on or turning it off.

Turning your STB on and off every night in this manner does create a small surge in the electronic circuitry that could over time cause damage to the unit. It also creates heating and cooling cycles that could affect the electronic parts and circuit pathways. Leaving the unit in standby does not allow it to get fully cold like turning the switch off in the back does.

I'm not saying Iceberg is wrong, this is just another way to look at it.

I really don't think that's been much of an issue since the days of tube based elecronics. Some audio purists maintain that you get the best sound and longevity by leaving your equipment on but I think for the most part that it's simply some leftover theory from the "old days". As far as most modern electronics, if they run hot enough that the "heat/cool" cycle can cause problems, then they'll likely eventually burn themselves up anyway if left on. There is certainly nothing wrong with turning the power off using the switch at the back of the receiver aside from losing some of your settings such as the clock etc. The switch on the back of most receivers disconnects all power from the receiver, it's exactly like unplugging the unit from the wall. While there's nothing wrong with doing that, I can't really see a benefit in it either except in the case of connecting/disconnecting the diseqc switch or adding/removing an LNB.

Well, I was also going on the fact that the front panel switch does not turn off the receivers we have from DishNet and DirecTv either, and those have no rear panel switch.

It's definitely true that hard disk drives last longer if they run continuously, instead of turning them off and on. (That directly from a hard drive engineer.)
I have less direct information on solid state electronics, but I have also heard that the cooling/heating/cooling/heating cycle caused by turning off is a major factor in eventual failure.

It's definitely true that hard disk drives last longer if they run continuously, instead of turning them off and on. (That directly from a hard drive engineer.)
I have less direct information on solid state electronics, but I have also heard that the cooling/heating/cooling/heating cycle caused by turning off is a major factor in eventual failure.

While this is probably true, I've seen numerous television sets which were essentially turned on when brought home and never turned off. They typically last 2-3 years in this condition then cook themselves into oblivion. By which time the picture tube looks like it's from a set 5 times as old. I guess TVs are a bit different because they operate with higher voltages and use many components which create a lot of heat.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Geosat pro 1.2m dish u-bolts

Galaxy 16

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)