SWM LNB Rollout Starting?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I would suspect this will also have a dramatic impact on those who live in multi-family housing (apartments/condos.) We waited two years after deciding to move to DTV for the simple reason that although we could mount a dish, getting the signal into the apartment would be impossible. I suspect that with this new setup most people in newer housing could just simply disconnect the cable running into the dwelling at the cable box and couple up the cable from the dish. I'll be interested to see how long it's going to take DTV to start running ads for this. Between single cabling into the building and a ton more HD/near complete coverage of locals by this time next year, the only reason people should have for staying with the cable companies is internet/phone service.

So what I have read is that with my new house almost ready 2 move in with only a single cable outlet in each room. I can have D installed an I don't need 2 outlets or wire fishing or new holes for a DVR??? I hope this is correct.. By the way I live in the Phoenix area so this is already avaible??

Am I correct to assume that the one with 2 wires can support beyond 8 tuners. I really would like to have 10 tuners.

from what i have been told..... the 2 wire model is for a 2-family house setup. 4 tuners for each unit.

Am I correct to assume that the one with 2 wires can support beyond 8 tuners. I really would like to have 10 tuners.

Assuming you would go with a SWM LNB slimline and a regular slimline (I would in this case):

the SWM lnb would feed up to 8 current tuners, on a single cable.

the regular lnb set would only be limited by available switches, and I'd suggest 4 lines into said switch, from your lnb.

Assuming you would go with a SWM LNB slimline and a regular slimline (I would in this case):

the SWM lnb would feed up to 8 current tuners, on a single cable.

the regular lnb set would only be limited by available switches, and I'd suggest 4 lines into said switch, from your lnb.

why not just use a slimline dish and multiple swm8's or a swm8 and a wb68 ran in parrallel. also, the swm8 has 3 legacy ports on it used for older legacy recievers, giving you a total of 11 tuners off of one swm8.

that's also viable. It's more a question of cost / tuner, and what type of tuner.

If you have legacy receivers, I can def. see the need for an swm8

Has anyone seen one of these SWM LNB's? I here a lot of talk about it being certain parts of the US, but no one has pics. Just curious to see one. I called a local dealer, he said he heard of it but hadn't got one. Waiting for my chance to get one & leave E*.

They're starting to trickle out to the prior-mentioned DMA's - hoping for a fast rollout of these - they're going to be useful for many...

I am slated to get one of these.. talked to the installer today, when he called to tell me that they did not reciever there shipment of hr21's for this week...

so i picked his brain and he said that i will get one because i have two or more HD dvr's on my list to install.

So i will let you know how it goes...

I remember reading Earl's statement that said this LNB will not work with legacy recievers. If you don't have a complete line of SWM capable tuners, the SWM LNB will not work for you.

I remember reading Earl's statement that said this LNB will not work with legacy recievers. If you don't have a complete line of SWM capable tuners, the SWM LNB will not work for you.
That's true.

Legacy recievers will need a standard dish. Either the 5LNB Slimline or future 3LNB.

Mike

Which locations are they planning on dropping with the 3 LNB?
Just guessing but I would suspect 110° & 119° could go away once D11 is up and running.

I've haven't seen it but the talk is that it would be the current Slimline with 3 LNB and due out early next year.

Mike

That would be nice for Dish to get that space back.

What do you mean, get them back, Dish never had those transponders.

And while there is a new Slimline coming that looks at only 99/101/103 the rumor is that 110 and 119 will still be used for non-core programming, probably internationals.

And while there is a new Slimline coming that looks at only 99/101/103 the rumor is that 110 and 119 will still be used for non-core programming, probably internationals.

Those are on E*'s birds, right? If D* vacated them, wouldn't Dish be able to utilize them instead of leasing them to someone else?

True...Sorry, I didn't mean to imply those sats would be going away.

I've read about international and speciality programming being consolidated but no matter what I think they will have some function until they die.

Mike

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)