Take a hint from usdtv, let us record hd locals!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Questioner

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 27, 2006
Cmon directv, the current recorder does not have to be useless until late this year, let us record and watch mpeg 4 locals in mpeg 2 at least!

USDTV LAUNCHES INDUSTRY-FIRST ADVANCED MPEG-4 BROADCAST TECHNOLOGY

MPEG-4 AVC Compression Enables USDTV to Offer Customers More Content Choices; USDTV to Showcase Live MPEG-4 AVC Broadcasts at NAB2006

Salt Lake City, UT, April 10, 2006 -- U.S. Digital Television, LLC (USDTV),
today announced it will be the first broadcast television service provider in the U.S. to convert its entire network to MPEG-4 AVC, an advanced video compression technology. MPEG-4 AVC technology enables USDTV to more efficiently utilize the digital spectrum leased from its broadcast partners, creating increased revenue opportunities through expanded content and service offerings. The company is developing low-cost themed content packages that customers can subscribe to, in addition to the basic USDTV service. MPEG-4 AVC is a significant step forward for USDTV in strengthening the broadcaster’s digital platform in the home.

USDTV will demonstrate the first live MPEG-4 AVC broadcasts over its digital terrestrial network at the upcoming National Association of Broadcasters Convention in Las Vegas, at the ATSC DTV Hot Spot in the South Hall of the Las Vegas Convention Center.

USDTV has designed a small MPEG-4 conversion device that upgrades its existing MPEG -2 set-top boxes. The company will convert its entire network to MPEG-4 AVC and begin offering customers additional content choices this summer.

“Capitalizing on new technology developments that enhance the consumer experience and grow our revenues is a core element of the business plan,” said Steve Lindsley, Co-Founder and Chief Executive Officer of USDTV. “We have always believed that technology advances would work in our favor, and deploying advanced video compression is just the beginning.”

Broadcaster Opportunities
Broadcasters continue to look for the best ways to monetize their digital spectrum assets and create recurring revenue streams. The advanced compression efficiencies of MPEG4-AVC will enable USDTV and its broadcaster partners to

sustain long-term revenue growth and establish their own digital platform in the home.

“USDTV has been leading the industry in building new technologies and business models for broadcasters to capitalize on their digital operations,” said Liz Burns, President of Morgan Murphy Stations. “We look forward to continuing our association with USDTV and their broadcast partners to make the promise of digital television a reality for the American public.”

MPEG-4 AVC compression reduces by over half the amount of spectrum required by USDTV to broadcast its base service, and frees up spectrum the can be used to deliver new low-cost themed content packages. In the future MPEG-4 AVC technologies will also allow the company to deliver VOD content to a hard-drive in the set-top box.

MPEG-4 Technology
MPEG-4 AVC is the next generation compression technology to MPEG-2 that provides good video quality at substantially lower bit rates (half or less). The technology strives to minimize the complexity of design and system integration and to maximize its use within many applications and distribution networks.

“Leveraging new technology is at the heart of what we do at USDTV,” said Richard Johnson, Co-Founder and Chief Operations Officer of USDTV. “Since our inception we have been building a team of highly experienced engineers in digital TV technology including MPEG-4 AVC. Our ability to launch an all MPEG-4 AVC end-to-end network in less than 12 months of development is evidence of our commitment to technology.”

First All-MPEG4 Network
USDTV has developed a real-time MPEG-4 AVC to MPEG-2 transcoder in the form of small adaptor that plugs into the USB port in existing USDTV set-top boxes.

This device will allow the company to switch instantly to MPEG-4 AVC without the cost and burden of replacing the set-top boxes currently in customer homes. Later in the year, USDTV will begin shipping its next-generation set-top box, which includes MPEG-4 AVC and MPEG-2 in the box.

“We set our sights early on to create proprietary technology that would leverage the significant compression capabilities of MPEG-4 AVC,” said Garry Paxinos, Senior Vice President of Engineering and Chief Technologist. “Our engineers have designed an innovative plug-and-play device that connects to the USB port of our existing boxes and provides real-time transcoding from MPEG-4 AVC to MPEG-2, all without compromising video quality or security.”

About USDTV:
U.S. Digital Television was formed in 2003 as the first “over-the-air” terrestrial digital subscription TV service in the United States and offers

consumers a low-cost alternative to cable. The service is broadcast to customers for $19.95 a month, using the digital signals of local TV station

partners. Customers receive USDTV with a standard VHF/UHF antenna and a propriety digital TV converter box. The USDTV service includes all the local and national broadcast channels from networks like ABC, CBS, FOX and NBC, along with many leading cable networks such as, Fox News Channel, ESPN, ESPN2, Discovery, TLC, The Disney Channel, Toon Disney, Lifetime, Lifetime Movie Network, HGTV, The Food Channel and Starz. USDTV averages 30 all-digital channels per market and enables viewers to receive high-definition pictures and surround sound, when available from their local broadcast stations. The USDTV set-top-box produces a DVD quality picture on any TV and an HD quality picture and digital surround sound on an HD-Ready TV with home theater equipment. U.S. Digital Television, LLC was formed in 2005 with investments from Fox Television Stations, Inc., Hearst-Argyle Television, Inc., LIN TV Corp., McGraw Hill Broadcasting, Morgan Murphy Stations, and Telcom DTV, LLC. The company currently serves subscribers in Dallas/Fort Worth, Salt Lake City, Albuquerque, and Las Vegas. USDTV is headquartered in Salt Lake City, Utah. www.usdtv.com

Last edited:
That's so cool. They're able to switch everything from MPEG2 to MPEG4 by just providing a device that plugs into the USB port on existing boxes. If DirecTV could do this, they wouldn't have to replace all the MPEG2 HD-DVRs with MPEG4 HD-DVRs. Hopefully DirecTVs technical people are watching what USDTV is doing.

-JustBob

Unfortunately, USDTV problably planned to upgrade at some point. Existing D* boxes dont have the hardware necessary to decode regardless of a software upgrade or dongle.

I know folks think it eats up local HD bandwidth but I really hope this company and method works. Its another option and a low cost one at that. If it came to my area, worked with my media center, and some of the SD channels were HD, I would sign up. I find I only have need for Playhouse Disney for kids, Comedy Central, HBO, ESPN, and HDNet beyond my local HD. I hate paying $70 per month for less than 20 channels especially when 70% of what we watch is local HD off an antenna.

We can record HD locals just fine-we have an antenna and an HR10-250.

The HD locals are free with an antenna, thank goodness-I'd be upset if we had to rely on D* to provide them. They even come through in thunderstorms. :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)