taking my tracvision / direct tv to EU and need help with sats..

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Brooklynjim

Original poster
Nov 7, 2010
NY, 11209
hey guys.. you were able to help me some years ago when i got my first tracvision system so im crossing my fingers here..

im relocating to Greece within the next 6-12 months, and im taking my boat with me, it has an M3ST system on it for direct tv, KVH told me that the ST will NOT work in GR, and their DX system will but will not pick up 90% of the GR channels that are aired locally there cause they are NOT transmitted via sat.. only NOVA, which is a paid subscription svc, so whats the point of that additional 5k expense..

so im thinking just use my M3ST and lock onto whatever sat i can find there and hope for the best at this point

i can get into the sat settings of my M3ST and instruct it to look for a specific sat, but thats all i know.. how do i find out what sats are over GR and what they broadcast? all i get are generic sat descriptions and names.. nothing specific

google hasnt been my friend this time unless im missing something

I can't imagine that the unit will work in Greece as the Sat Beams won't reach that far, at least the ones we use in the US.

Maybe it can be upgraded somehow ..
Maybe inquire with someone over there ...

there are all sorts of reasons why you might be completely out of luck.
1. Whatever local satellites there are might use completely different dishes and LNBs to those you have on your current dish (and different frequencies and polarization).
2. You will need completely different receivers and will have to pay the subscription for those services.

Try www.kvh.com/footprints and then lyngsat.com

thanks guys..

updating the system isnt cost effective, KVH themselves informed me its cheaper to buy a DX system.. and in my case.. buying a new DX system to get only 1 paid subscriptions svc that will only send me 3-6 channels depending on other variables isnt worth it..

but.. if i can wing it and grab FTA channels that i know i can lock onto cause ive already tried here with success ide prefer to give it a try..namely speaking channel 45 noted below

so..

THOR 5 & 6 is on KU band, also noted is " T2 and K2" which i dont know what those numbers mean, but anyway.. if i remember correctly, my current KVH M3 on direct tv is also on KU.. so, wouldnt this be as easy as instructing it to lock onto that sat using a known working channel number, i.e.. in this case, Channel 45 is lifestyle tv which is FTA, it should work shouldnt it?

irrc, the M3 system is instructed upon startup to look for a specific (programmable) sat on start up on a specific band (non programmable), in this case.. KU, how do i find the sat number for THOR 5 and 6?

Good luck with that ...
I think the unit is set up fro Directv, DISH network and Bell Systems only.

I don't think you'll be able to tell the Sat exactly what spot to stop at.

So, KVH actually has an upgrade kit for the HD ?

Isn't the KVH equipment programmed for Directv only? Even if you can program the dish to lock onto one of the sats over Europe, you'll need an FTA receiver to receive anything that is in the clear.

Isn't the KVH equipment programmed for Directv only? Even if you can program the dish to lock onto one of the sats over Europe, you'll need an FTA receiver to receive anything that is in the clear.
KVH should be able to lock on to the Directv, DISH and Bell Sats.

I don't know anything about M3ST but if it is setup for DirecTV USA it is not going to work at all for almost anything in Europe. The reason why is that DirecTV uses circular polarity on a higher band than most of EU. Almost everything in EU is linear at lower frequencies and linear polarity.

If your system can be retrofitted with a universal LNBF (9750/10600 L.O.) it might work. This type of LNBF will receive all Europe FTA and subscription satellite frequencies. The reason why I said "might work" is that if you are on a boat with an auto tracking system meant for DirecTV/DISH/BellTV circular it might not be able to do automatic skew. European linear satellites require skew which varies by your geographical location and angle to a particular target satellite.

As mentioned before you will need a FTA STB to receive EU FTA programming. For subscription you need one with CI/CAM support (and a CAM/card for the service) or one that runs MCAS and the access card for the pay service.

Yes, as I posted the frequencies and LNB type (polarity) will almost certainly be wrong. A universal LNB will match the frequency band and polarity. The DirecTV receiver will give you nothing because the info from the satellite/transponder will be completely wrong, and the DirecTV receiver won't receive FTA.

KVH should be able to lock on to the Directv, DISH and Bell Sats.
My brother just bought a KVH mobile set up for his tractor trailer rig.
He asked me to check into the unit before he made the purchase.
I found the model in which he was interested was set up for D* E* Bell and what's that other Canadian Satco?....That one...

My brother just bought a KVH mobile set up for his tractor trailer rig.
He asked me to check into the unit before he made the purchase.
I found the model in which he was interested was set up for D* E* Bell and what's that other Canadian Satco?....That one...
Not sure, Canadian I always think of Bell, but theres probably others as well.

I have been chatting via email with KVH for a few days now, looking to see if they have an updated D* dish that does HD and they say No, not at this time.
Therefore, unfortunately I think that the Winegard unit may be the only one available, sadly.

There's Shaw Direct (used to be StarChoice) but it uses a different LNB....

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)