Taking the Plunge Tomorrow

Status
Please reply by conversation.

PopcornNMore

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 20, 2005
Gibsonia, PA
Tomorrow I'm taking the plunge and ordering programming from Skyvision for my DSR410 receiver. I'll probably order the Digital Basic package for $24.95 just to give it a try for a month and then I'll upgrade or downgrade depending on how will my family likes it compared to our current Dish Network system.

I'll start the day by moving our stationary 6' dish from Galaxy 16 to AMC18 (W5/X4) and adjust for the best signal using an FTA receiver. Then I'll attach the DSR410 receiver and call Skyvision to order programming.

I figure if this is ever going to work we need as many back yard dish owners to subscribe to the W5/X4 programming as possible.

Questions:
1) How good is the video quality using a 6' dish viewed on a 32" 720P HD TV?
2) Do you ever get complaints from your spouse, because certain channels are not available (CNN, Food, Weather, etc), the channels are not in HD and recording programming on a DVR is not possible?

Ordering programming from Skyvision

It's SRL (programming-center.net) skyvision is their largest dealer. Make sure to ask them for a websams account.

If comparing to dish sd it looks better in my opinion

2) Do you ever get complaints from your spouse, because certain channels are not available (CNN, Food, Weather, etc), the channels are not in HD and recording programming on a DVR is not possible?

Good luck with that one :) (CNN) Bloomberg is mostly stock stuff I like it better then cnbc. Cooking channel is kind of like food unless your wife likes the shows DD, Next foodnetwork star etc... However the welcome pack from dish has food network, weather and msnbc for only $10 bucks so that could be an option.

You can hook a tivo unit upto the 410

Thanks for trying it out :)

Last edited:
PopcornNMore said:
Tomorrow I'm taking the plunge and ordering programming from Skyvision for my DSR410 receiver. I'll probably order the Digital Basic package for $24.95 just to give it a try for a month and then I'll upgrade or downgrade depending on how will my family likes it compared to our current Dish Network system.

I'll start the day by moving our stationary 6' dish from Galaxy 16 to AMC18 (W5/X4) and adjust for the best signal using an FTA receiver. Then I'll attach the DSR410 receiver and call Skyvision to order programming.

I figure if this is ever going to work we need as many back yard dish owners to subscribe to the W5/X4 programming as possible.

Questions:

Glad to hear it! Hope you enjoy it.

We watch on a 37" LCD Sharp and the PQ is better than DN SD.
We have a basic sub to get CNN on DN, other than that, we watch the 410 a LOT more 25:75
We have a separate PVR that we've been using before you could get a DN PVR so we've always enjoyed that function.

I really do hope you enjoy it, give it time to get over the little niggles (guide) like we did and you'll just start watching it and not comparing it!

Get that WebSAMS account!

Questions:

Glad to have you aboard with C band subscription :) :up :up Welcome to the good side.

To answer your question about video quality. You should be very satisfied. HITS although a second generation does not downrez like the pizza services do . They give you the full 640x480 video. I run my 922 on a 32" Sharp Aquos 1080p HDTV running smart stretch mode (to fill the screen) and it looks good. Better than my DirecTV subscription. Nothing cuts the first gen masters (wish we could still get those) but for what it is HITS does a good job with it.

This morning I adjusted the 6' dish to AMC18 (W5) the best I could in 30 degree weather with snow on the ground using an Openbox S9 FTA receiver.

I have two DSR-410 receivers which I'm currently testing. The first one boots up with all the LED's illuminated (dish, dolby, mail, etc) and it remains there and never displays a screen. The second receiver couldn't tune to channel 216 and the satellite LED remained red. I then performed a factory reset and once rebooted I was able to tune to channel 216 and the satellite dish LED turned green with an ebno number of +7.4 within the Diagnostics C screen. Once programming is received and the weather gets warmer I can then continue fine tuning the dish for a larger ebno number.

I think I'm just going to let the receiver set for awhile to see what happens. The ID matches the ID on the back label, so I know the battery is still good.

Questions:

1) Is there a free video or audio channel that I can view or listen to prior to ordering programming?

2) When do I call to order programming? Must I receive the channel map, EMM stream or anything else before calling?

3) What should the channel count be after the W5 map is downloaded?

Last edited:
Questions:

1) Is there a free video or audio channel that I can view or listen to prior to ordering programming?

2) When do I call to order programming? Must I receive the channel map, EMM stream or anything else before calling?

3) What should the channel count be after the W5 map is downloaded?

1) No since you did a factory reset. (MR)

2) You will get the channel map after you sub it downloads in just a few minutes I have had the best outcome on channel 204 after MR. Your trip counter will go to 5 or 10.

Keep in mind that the 410's were designed to work with hits. So pretty much if you have signal you just need a hit and maps will download.

During the day yesterday my DSR-410 receiver showed the following even after performing an Authorization Reset:

Highest ebno Number: +7.4
Channel Count: 234
Trip Counter: 0
EMM Providers: 4160, 2
EMM Provider: No
EMM Stream: No
Guide: Not Available

So around 11PM last night I kept the receiver on channel 204, performed another Authorization Reset and just kept the receiver on until this morning. The receiver now shows the following:

Highest ebno Number: +9.2
Channel Count: 234
Trip Counter: 4
EMM Providers: 4160, 2
EMM Provider: 4160
EMM Stream: No
Guide: Guide information is being loaded.

So I take it that I'm now able to call the Programming Center or Skyvision to activate the receiver ($40) and add programming?

I'm also at that step where I'm asking myself "Do I really want to do this?" I see many PROS to activating this receiver, but at the same time I also see many CONS.

PROS:
1) Becoming a subscriber I'll be helping this service to succeed which might lead to additional channels being added and possibly a new receiver becoming available.
2) Several channels are currently only available in upper tier packages on CATV and pizza dish companies.
3) Programming is more affordable and there are more packages to choose from compared to Dish and DirecTV.
4) Ala carte channels can be subscribed to and there is even a pick 10 package.
5) Audio channels are added even in the lower basic digital package.
6) Some west feeds (History, Bravo, etc) are not available elsewhere.
7) Faster channel surfing.
8) SD quality looks better compared to Dish and DirecTV SD.

CONS:
1) No HD.
2) No DVR.
3) Will be using an outdated receiver that has outdated graphics and guide.
4) Several popular channels are not available (Disney, Nickelodeon, Food, Discovery, TLC, CNN, etc).

Overall that's good that I was able to come up with 8 PROS and only 4 CONS. Plus perhaps overtime some of the CONS will be included as well.

You can sit on the fence and debate or just call and add something for a month and try it. There are no contracts so if your not satisfied the month ends and thats it. It's all set up, just a phone call away. I think there is no $40.00 fee anymore to use any 410. I believe that has been waved now. Besides the no contracts, and better picture there is also no rain fade. :D There is nothing better than seeing a 99 quality in a monsoon rainstorm on my 4DTV :up and stupid Direct says searching for signal :mad:

You can sit on the fence and debate or just call and add something for a month and try it. There are no contracts so if your not satisfied the month ends and thats it. It's all set up, just a phone call away. I think there is no $40.00 fee anymore to use any 410. I believe that has been waved now. Besides the no contracts, and better picture there is also no rain fade. :D There is nothing better than seeing a 99 quality in a monsoon rainstorm on my 4DTV :up and stupid Direct says searching for signal :mad:

You just added 3 more PROS to my list. :)

1) No contracts.
2) No $40 activation fee.
3) No rain fade.

OK, I'll call today and become a subscriber!

You just added 3 more PROS to my list. :)

1) No contracts.
2) No $40 activation fee.
3) No rain fade.

OK, I'll call today and become a subscriber!

Try it Popcorn, I think you'll be satisfied. Just give SRL your UID and tell them you want to subscribe. They will be happy to accommodate you. :)

Try it Popcorn, I think you'll be satisfied. Just give SRL your UID and tell them you want to subscribe. They will be happy to accommodate you. :)

Help me clear something up. A lot of people talk about ordering through SRL (Programming Center), but why not through Skyvision? From what I see Skyvsion's prices are better, especially when you order by quarter or annually. Plus their pick 10 package is almost $2 cheaper than SRL and both E&W feeds are included with some channels.

For some unknown reason my Trip Counter just went from 4 to 5 and Authorization Status went from US to ZK. Plus now I only receive analong channels 2 to 56.

Very odd!

Help me clear something up. A lot of people talk about ordering through SRL (Programming Center), but why not through Skyvision? From what I see Skyvsion's prices are better, especially when you order by quarter or annually. Plus their pick 10 package is almost $2 cheaper than SRL and both E&W feeds are included with some channels.

You can call SRL and order programming from SRL or Skyvision. I have done both. Yes Skyvision seems to have the better deals now. When you call on the phone all you have to do is tell them you want to order Skyvision programming.

For some unknown reason my Trip Counter just went from 4 to 5 and Authorization Status went from US to ZK. Plus now I only receive analong channels 2 to 56.

Very odd!

Your box is in limbo and isn't tied to 4160. Whatever was in it from before needs to be flushed out, Auth reset then hit from 4160 with an active subscription this will clear that condition up.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts