Telstar 12 at 15.0°W How far west has somebody seen?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Freezy, I wish I could see that low on the horizon. Stupid neighbors trees won't let me see anything below 58W. I'm envious of those that can watch stuff with dishes almost pointing at the ground...Blind

The furthest I'll be able of is Intelsat 907 (27.5°W, Elevation: 4.7°) If I can mod the polar mount a bit. 40.5°W looks interesting also. Can only get the BUD over to 53°W now.

I am located in southeastern Massachusetts and I do receive Telstar 12 at 15.0W - Ku channels only. I watched some coverage of carnival from Brasil on pampa tv this week - not bad. In total I receive ~ 7 Ku channels on this satellite - I believe all foreign.

When I upgraded my motorized I found I could get Telstar12 (15W) and about eight channels.

Some details here . . . .

http://www.satelliteguys.us/free-air-fta-discussion/205656-upgraded-my-motorized-setup.html

I tried for many hours for 7W and 12.5W with no joy but I know some have been able to get 12.5W

I just drove the dish over to 15W and Blind Scanned again - - 8 TV channels and 8 Radio (Spanish TV, Bulgarian National TV, Iranian TV, Brazil TV and one bonus channel in English!)

If you can get 15W - - - I think it is worth it just for the one bonus channel :)

When I upgraded my motorized I found I could get Telstar12 (15W) and about eight channels.

Some details here . . . .

http://www.satelliteguys.us/free-air-fta-discussion/205656-upgraded-my-motorized-setup.html

I tried for many hours for 7W and 12.5W with no joy but I know some have been able to get 12.5W

I just drove the dish over to 15W and Blind Scanned again - - 8 TV channels and 8 Radio (Spanish TV, Bulgarian National TV, Iranian TV, Brazil TV and one bonus channel in English!)

If you can get 15W - - - I think it is worth it just for the one bonus channel :)

I have a fixed dish at 30w, aways thought it was the furthest East I could go. But the recent sun outage observation showed I could go for 15w and even 12w. You guys got me thinking about going out and trying for those sats.
Is the "bonus" channel M$NBsee or something better than that?

Yes - - that is the bonus - - - and since I don't have cable, Direct, Dish or any other pay TV - - - it really is a bonus to me.

Watching Japan Quake coverage right now - - - I lived in Japan for 4 years - - - 680 confirmed dead so far.

I have a fixed dish at 30w, aways thought it was the furthest East I could go. But the recent sun outage observation showed I could go for 15w and even 12w. You guys got me thinking about going out and trying for those sats.
Is the "bonus" channel M$NBsee or something better than that?

Thats the channel I am hoping for! The satellite map shows a strong 50 dbW signal from New York back through the great lakes so it should be easy to get. Over in Michigan I'm betting your dish, if its offset, would need to be upside down or sideways because of the elevation.

Bob,

Have you looked at 72w. M$NBsee is up there most of the time when the network doesn't need the channel for something else.

You guys got me interested in trying for this sat. I went out back today and moved my Hipsat to 15w. Kind of exciting to get a sat only 5deg above the horzion! I scanned in 130 channels on my 33" Hughes Net Dish, 14 are ITC, but all in Spanish, still quite interesting. The one ch I didn't see is M$NBsee. Anyone have the fq/pol/sr for this one? I think I'll watch this sat for a week or so and then try for 12w.

Here is a couple of picts of the dish pointed at 15w, almost sideways and looking at the ground.

03-12-11_1524.jpg

03-12-11_1525.jpg

Last edited:
Bob,

Have you looked at 72w. M$NBsee is up there most of the time when the network doesn't need the channel for something else.

You guys got me interested in trying for this sat. I went out back today and moved my Hipsat to 15w. Kind of exciting to get a sat only 5deg above the horzion! I scanned in 130 channels on my 33" Hughes Net Dish, 14 are ITC, but all in Spanish, still quite interesting. The one ch I didn't see is M$NBsee. Anyone have the fq/pol/sr for this one? I think I'll watch this sat for a week or so and then try for 12w.

Here is a couple of picts of the dish pointed at 15w, almost sideways and looking at the ground.

I only have a 4 foot VSAT right now sitting on the ground pointed at 97w. I need to find a small dish like yours to put in another spot. I may just pony up the dollars and get a motorized 36" dish. I have a spot that can see from 12.5w to 125w but I just need to put it up on a 6ft or 8ft pole.

Did you check any of the channels against Lyngsat? It sounds like you found more than what is listed for spanish channels. If Lyngsat is still accurate there should be some Iranian channels there too.

For M$NBsee Lyngsat shows 11709 V 3195 but who knows if thats right. I am real curious what you find on 12.5w as there was another topic about that sat recently.

For M$NBsee Lyngsat shows 11709 V 3195 but who knows if thats right. I am real curious what you find on 12.5w as there was another topic about that sat recently.

For 15W that is indeed the correct information (11709 V 3195). Just checked it.

Did you check any of the channels against Lyngsat? It sounds like you found more than what is listed for spanish channels. If Lyngsat is still accurate there should be some Iranian channels there too.

Here is a list of my best interpretation of what is ITC on this sat. The first four are listed in Lyngsat. #5 to 11 scan in scrambled but are ITC from the "Television Directa Hogar" mux. The last few are also listed on Lingsat.

1) SIC News Portugal
2) Angola Public Tv
3) Bulgaria National Tv
4) Tv Pampa Porto Alegre
5) Horse racing from Uruguay
6) La Red Chile
7) TVN Chile
8) Mega Tv Chile
9) Chilevision
10) Canal 13 Chile
11) Guia Tv Chile
12) Tv Peru
13) Bling Bling Music Videos
14) NHK news Japan

I did not find any Iranian channels nor the M$NBsee that others are getting. But I think I did pretty good for a 33" dish!

Last edited:
Here is a list of my best interpretation of what is ITC on this sat. The first four are listed in Lyngsat. #5 to 11 scan in scrambled but are ITC from the "Television Directa Hogar" mux. The last few are also listed on Lingsat.

1) SIC News Portugal
2) Angola Public Tv
3) Bulgaria National Tv
4) Tv Pampa Porto Alegre
5) Horse racing from Uruguay
6) La Red Chile
7) TVN Chile
8) Mega Tv Chile
9) Chilevision
10) Canal 13 Chile
11) Guia Tv Chile
12) Tv Peru
13) Bling Bling Music Videos
14) NHK news Japan

I did not find any Iranian channels nor the M$NBsee that others are getting. But I think I did pretty good for a 33" dish!

That looks like a decent list making it worth checking out. Its good to know that NHK can be found on Ku here. Might want to post it in the earthquake feed topic as people are looking for coverage.

My kid got an A in Trig and a B+ in Calculus. I'ld have him doing the figuring but he's gone now. My dish is about 6358.3KM from the center of the Earth(COE), satallites are about 43,358KM from COE. I'm at 93W. The difference of the angles are 78 degrees from my position to 15W. The distance from COE to sea level is 6358KM. I s'poze my longitude would figure in. I'm at 45.5N

Can get as low as 12.5W with a motorized dish using a SG2100 motor near Toronto in Canada. 12.5W is actually as far east as the motor will move at this location, even after moving the hardware limits all the way down. There is only 1 channel receivable in North America on this satellite at this time which is TV Record on 11622 H 3255. Currently, 15W has all the channels listed on Lyngsat on the North & South American beam as the site was recently updated (i.e. Tuves HD & TV Pampa transponders)

Currently, 15W has all the channels listed on Lyngsat on the North & South American beam as the site was recently updated (i.e. Tuves HD & TV Pampa transponders)

Yes, this is correct. The weather cleared here in Michigan today and I locked in M$NBsee. Makes 15ch's ITC for 15w.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts