That Giant Sucking Sound

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I've got HD and am relatively happy with Dish. My 921 works fairly well, and there aren't HD channels out there that I'm really missing. I won't go to Directv, even though I'd prefer the Tivo technology, because of the lower resolution.

dragon002 said:
you did not answer a single point in my post, just did the old ergen is a maverick and our hero stuff. if you are happy with second hand junk fine. as far as profitability goes, that is why the SEC and justice is looking at echostar. HE COOKED THE BOOKS AND SUB COUNTS, read the news, he isn't great, hes a buffoon

You're a bit old on the news. After an inquiry, the feds found that there's no evidence of fraud. The latest scandal at E* is the harrassment suit brought against Charlie by former E* employees. The accounting issue has settled in the dust but you didn't realize it, huh? Go read the news from about 2 weeks back!

dragon002 said:
you did not answer a single point in my post
The only things I see to be answered are:
dragon002 said:
is there a course at the harvard business school on how not to run a company?
My guess would be no.
dragon002 said:
ever heard of "THE COAT TAIL EFFECT"?
Not really, but I looked it up and it does seem to apply to some of Dish Network's decisions.

Directv isn't adding 1500 HDTV channels. It's false advertising of the worst kind. There aren't even 1500 HDTV channels available. It's all avbout locals and they are adding up the totals. And large metropolitan areas like Los Angeles will not benefit from it, since you can get a much better quality OTA signal for locals than D* is going to offer.

FIREBIRD81 said:
Directv isn't adding 1500 HDTV channels. It's false advertising of the worst kind. There aren't even 1500 HDTV channels available. It's all avbout locals and they are adding up the totals. And large metropolitan areas like Los Angeles will not benefit from it, since you can get a much better quality OTA signal for locals than D* is going to offer.

No where did it say that everyone would be able to get 1500 channels, just that with their new satellites that they would have 1500, which is a true statement when you look at all the local HD channels that they would be carrying. Guess you could say that E* does the same thing with Dish 500, I never could get 500 channels on a Dish 500.

Top 3 DBS Companies Earnings per Share for the last 12 Quarters

I'll let the numbers speak for themselves. Remember, red is bad.
Code:
[b][FONT=Tahoma]       DirecTV Earnings Per Share - Quarterly Results[/FONT][/b] 
[FONT=Courier New]               FY (12/04)   FY (12/03)   FY (12/02) 
1st Qtr         [COLOR=Red]-$0.24       -$0.04       -$0.14[/COLOR]
2nd Qtr         [COLOR=Red]-$0.01[/COLOR]        $0.02        $0.00
3rd Qtr         [COLOR=Red]-$0.73       -$0.02       -$0.01[/COLOR]
4th Qtr         [COLOR=Red]-$0.21       -$0.17[/COLOR]        $0.28
-------------------------------------------------
Total           [COLOR=Red]-$1.19       -$0.21[/COLOR]        $0.13
[SIZE=1][I]Shares Outstanding: 1.39 Bil[/I][/SIZE][/FONT]
Code:
[b][FONT=Tahoma]      Echostar Earnings Per Share - Quarterly Results[/FONT][/b]
1st Qtr         [COLOR=Red]-$0.09[/COLOR]        $0.12       [COLOR=Red]-$0.20[/COLOR]
2nd Qtr          $0.18        $0.26        $0.07
3rd Qtr          $0.22        $0.07       [COLOR=Red]-$0.35[/COLOR]
4th Qtr          $0.15        $0.01       [COLOR=Red]-$0.45[/COLOR]
Total            $0.46        $0.46       [COLOR=Red]-$0.93[/COLOR]
[SIZE=1][I]Shares Outstanding: 454.000 Mil[/I][/SIZE][/FONT]
Code:
[b][FONT=Tahoma]     Cablevision Earnings Per Share - Quarterly Results[/FONT][/b]
1st Qtr         [COLOR=Red]-$0.39       -$0.50       -$1.45[/COLOR]
2nd Qtr         [COLOR=Red]-$0.65[/COLOR]        $0.55       [COLOR=Red]-$0.59[/COLOR]
3rd Qtr         [COLOR=Red]-$0.22       -$0.37       -$0.26[/COLOR]
4th Qtr         [COLOR=Red]-$1.07       -$0.72[/COLOR]        $1.53
Total           [COLOR=Red]-$2.33       -$1.04       -$0.77[/COLOR]
[SIZE=1][I]Shares Outstanding: 287.000 Mil[/I][/SIZE][/FONT]
This data was harvested from MSN Money. As the only DBS company to actually make money in the last two years, Echostar isn't going away anytime soon.

rad said:
No where did it say that everyone would be able to get 1500 channels, just that with their new satellites that they would have 1500, which is a true statement when you look at all the local HD channels that they would be carrying. Guess you could say that E* does the same thing with Dish 500, I never could get 500 channels on a Dish 500.

NO, but it directly misleads potential customers. It says they will be able to have 1500 HD channels nationwide. That is their latest ad. Nowhere in that ad does it say the best you're probably going to get individually is LILs, which most major markets already are able to get either thru cable or OTA. To compare that commercial to the Dish 500 is silly. Compare it to Charlie's claim of 50 ( or 70 ) HDTV channels coming and you have a reasonable comparison, or his repeated more compelling HD content, or Dish's CSRs pre-rehearsed tirade about up-converted HDTV when you mention the word Voom to them, all of which should really be interpretted " we don't have the bandwidth and that's why we don't offer more" if they were honest. Instead they lie and so Directv is guilty of the same thing with that commercial.

foxbat,

it does cost a great deal of money to blast up super sats, and that is why a lot of the red ink, also the charge offs from panamsat.
oh i forgot, ergen did get a new sat to replace that garbage scow he has parked at 61.5, he bought vooms at a garage sale!!!
does that black ink include the $600.000.000.00 he had to fork over to rupert for a deal everyone on our side knew wasn't EVER gonna happen? or the 300,000,000+ he is gonna pay tivo for sawing one open and making an unreliable copy???

dragon

dragon002 said:
foxbat,

it does cost a great deal of money to blast up super sats, and that is why a lot of the red ink, also the charge offs from panamsat.
oh i forgot, ergen did get a new sat to replace that garbage scow he has parked at 61.5, he bought vooms at a garage sale!!!
does that black ink include the $600.000.000.00 he had to fork over to rupert for a deal everyone on our side knew wasn't EVER gonna happen? or the 300,000,000+ he is gonna pay tivo for sawing one open and making an unreliable copy???

dragon

First. Why are you here? Tired of trolling the D* and V* groups?

Second. If you knew anything about the financial's of the proposed merger, you would know that Vivendi ate the vast majority of the $600M, E* part ended up being something like $75M.

Third. If it even looks like E* might loose the Tivo lawsuit (far from certain and a long way off anyway) E* will simply buy them. The $300M you quote has no basis in fact, leagal or otherwise.

Fourth. D* Spaceway satellites (super sats?? :rolleyes: ) were not originally intended for HD at all, they were going to be used for satellite INTERNET access (bottom fell out, and D* had to find something else to do with them). They have yet to be successfully launched, deployed and put into operation. One or more of them could have any number of problems or be delayed yet again. D* plans are just that, plans. When they actually become something more than that, they will merit consideration.

NightRyder

If only the FCC could be counted on to do its job and prevent this kind of deceptive advertising :rolleyes:. Given the current rate of adoption by broadcasters, it will be years before there are even close to 1500 HD channels available, at which time I will have fiber running directly to my home which will make D*s 1500 channel capability seem like childs play. There is also a huge difference between being able to spotbeam a huge number of redundant HD locals and actually providing 1500 HD channels.

Hope you're not a Ferrari fan :eek:

This year has actually been fun to watch. Not knowing the outcome before the race starts is always a good thing. Go Villeneuve. :rolleyes:

Eric_C said:
I recently went upto the 120 package for the F1 season and added Showtime for the L Word and should have gone upto 65 a month but for some reason am at 75, should have 2 more months left on the free HD Package.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Later Dish. Help with Direct

i'm in csr hell!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)