Weak sound on Hopper 3

ronharp1

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 20, 2009
Oregon
The sound on my Hopper3 has been weakening more and more for some time now.
Sound is good on Joey/tv2. Sound is good on just TV. Sound is good on Streaming TV1. BUT when watching any program on Hopper 3 receiver on TV1 the sound is weak. We are now more than double on volume to get anything to hear.
I don't know how to pinpoint it any closer to what the problem could be.
This is the only receiver I've leased in 20+ years and have had considerable minor problems that I have corrected myself since leasing it in 2016.
Wondering if I should just buy a new(latest model) hopper3.
Thanks for any help

Sound is good on Joey/tv2. Sound is good on just TV. Sound is good on Streaming TV1. BUT when watching any program on Hopper 3 receiver on TV1 the sound is weak. We are now more than double on volume to get anything to hear.
This is the only receiver I've leased in 20+ years and have had considerable minor problems that I have corrected myself since leasing it in 2016.
Thanks for any help
There is no "latest model". They all have the same specs/hardware in most cases, the one you get will refurb'd

Reactions: charlesrshell
Thanks for any help
Go into the settings - audio, and turn off volume levelling. If that makes no difference, try a better HDMI, but it's not going be to as loud as a streaming app. The Hopper does decrease the audio loudness. Also, do you use a stereo or soundbar system? Is the Hopper run through a stereo receiver and then to the tv? or directly to the tv and then to a sound system? There are other variables that could decrease the volume besides the Hopper that wouldn't affect your tv streaming apps.

Go into the settings - audio, and turn off volume levelling. If that makes no difference, try a better HDMI, but it's not going be to as loud as a streaming app. The Hopper does decrease the audio loudness. Also, do you use a stereo or soundbar system? Is the Hopper run through a stereo receiver and then to the tv? or directly to the tv and then to a sound system? There are other variables that could decrease the volume besides the Hopper that wouldn't affect your tv streaming apps.
Thanks for the reply. No sound leveling and nothing between the receiver and tv. I will try the different HDMI.
Ron

It may also be a Dolby decoding issue (though that shouldn't have changed recently). Changing the output mode to PCM may help.

Leveling was off. I turned the Dolby off. Made no difference. Will try to move the HDMI to diff position and then will buy new high end HDMI and try that. We went from volume of 12 to 34 currently and just short of comfortable.

Leveling was off. I turned the Dolby off. Made no difference. Will try to move the HDMI to diff position and then will buy new high end HDMI and try that. We went from volume of 12 to 34 currently and just short of comfortable.
Ok, but again, are you using the tv speakers or a soundbar or stereo? What is the flow from the hopper to the sound? ex. Hopper-hdmi to tv-optical to soundbar, or Hopper-hdmi to audio receiver- hdmi to tv. Or is it just Hopper- hdmi to tv.

Thanks for the reply. No sound leveling and nothing between the receiver and tv. I will try the different HDMI.
Ron
On the Hopper 3, it seems if you have a channel that has both a HD and non-HD version, you will find the HD version is a lot softer in the audio. In earlier software versions, there was a Range wide setting as mentioned here Hopper 3 audio issue: low volume which no longer exists. The Hopper+ is better for audio output than the Hopper 3 is as volume at 10 with the Hopper + is louder than the Hopper 3 at 38. I thought when it came to HDMI cables since the signal is digital, either the sound works or it doesn't since I don't think changing the cable will effect the audio output level.

Last edited:
On the Hopper 3, it seems if you have a channel that has both a HD and non-HD version, you will find the HD version is a lot softer in the audio. In earlier software versions, there was a Range wide setting as mentioned here Hopper 3 audio issue: low volume which no longer exists. The Hopper+ is better for audio output than the Hopper 3 is. I thought when it came to HDMI cables since the signal is digital, either the sound works or it doesn't since I don't think changing the cable will effect the audio output level.
Where do I find that Range setting?

If you read what you quoted,

In "earlier" software versions, there "was" a Range wide setting so that setting is no longer available for a few years I believe.
Well, just to be straight, I've read every word of every post, thank you. AND I do know that I have not been able to find a Range on mine, so, hopefully, on to something that helps AND actually sinks in to my failing mind.

That was why I mentioned it because I did have better louder sound with that option when it existed.
I appreciate any and all attempts to get this done. I use to know a little about set ups when we lived in a motor home for a few years and I set up folks dishes and got them going often. Now that we've been it a stick house again for a decade I feel like a complete newby knowing close to nothing. I do give each suggestion a shot or as close as I can. Hopefully, one will pan out sooner or later. I really don't want to buy new but am not seeing anything better ideas yet.