The 922, The Edsel, Microsoft BOB, New Coke

mike123abc said:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-network-forum/234408-satelliteguys-first-look-review-dish-sling-3.html#post2387858

I pointed out that the 922 was a failure as a flagship in 2010... It has been known a long time that it was a dead end....

I was a supporter of the 922 but no Blockbuster, and now no HBO On Demand makes me realize that I've been wasting money on dead end technology. It's as if their whole 922 development team quit and they have no idea what to do with this product anymore.

The DirecTV HR34 with 5 tuners and their new HD user interface is clearly outpacing Dish's attempts at providing state of the art equipment.

Scott reported in another thread that the whole development team has been pulled off the 922 for work on Hopper/Joey. This would explain why nothing has been done for the 922 since Dish got their mits on the new hardware from Echostar. :( That said, I presume that Dish will recycle those engineers back to the 922 to put in updates such as BBMP as soon as the workload on the Hopper/Joey gets more sustainable. Am I dreaming?

Scott reported in another thread that the whole development team has been pulled off the 922 for work on Hopper/Joey. This would explain why nothing has been done for the 922 since Dish got their mits on the new hardware from Echostar. :( That said, I presume that Dish will recycle those engineers back to the 922 to put in updates such as BBMP as soon as the workload on the Hopper/Joey gets more sustainable. Am I dreaming?
yes

http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-ne...rst-look-review-dish-sling-3.html#post2387858

I pointed out that the 922 was a failure as a flagship in 2010... It has been known a long time that it was a dead end....

Looking at some photos at the CES forums it seems the Hopper menus are on the same format as the 922.
I think I read it was designed on the 922's frame too, it is interesting to hear the 922 team is working exclusively on the Hopper. I suspect no BB for the 922 anytime soon if ever if these reports are accurate. I personally don't use BB or any of the PPV movie services, I pay enough per month for Dish.

--- i hate to say this, but i lost my money because i didn't read the forecast for the 922, older receivers are getting more features than the 922! - the worst thing is that i bought the 922 and paid full price, not as an upgrade! - now, i'm undecided from getting a 722 or to wait for the hopper, maybe the hopper will go the same steps as the 922 and the next year will be obsolete too ---

Looking at some photos at the CES forums it seems the Hopper menus are on the same format as the 922.
I think I read it was designed on the 922's frame too, it is interesting to hear the 922 team is working exclusively on the Hopper. I suspect no BB for the 922 anytime soon if ever if these reports are accurate. I personally don't use BB or any of the PPV movie services, I pay enough per month for Dish.

I also saw the photos... and that was actually encouraging to me, making me feel (as a 922 user) that Dish will actually continue to support the 922 GUI and the functionality updates it needs. It is also encouraging to me that the 922 development team is involved in Hopper, from the standpoint of the 922 possibly not being as "dead end" as people have been expressing.

BTW, doesn't the back-side of Joey look a lot like the back-side of a Roku?

--- i hate to say this, but i lost my money because i didn't read the forecast for the 922, older receivers are getting more features than the 922! - the worst thing is that i bought the 922 and paid full price, not as an upgrade! - now, i'm undecided from getting a 722 or to wait for the hopper, maybe the hopper will go the same steps as the 922 and the next year will be obsolete too ---

I highly doubt the Hopper will be obsolete after one year. The reason the 922 became dead is because it was very buggy from the start and most people didn't see the point of paying extra just for some fancy graphics and built-in sling. Now will the hopper be as buggy as the 922 from the start. So far, according to Scott, it won't be, but I'll still take a wait-and-see approach before upgrading.

One more comment I forgot to add: I personally think that all subs that currently have a 922 (or had a 922 and downgraded) should get free upgrades to Hoppers/Joeys. I know I would demand a free upgrade if I felt like I got screwed by getting a 922.

At least I can go down in history as one of the suckers that had one. O well life goes on I guess at least now I am enjoying everything Dish promised me 2 years ago I just didn't know that someone else would make it real. After having a 922 and everything that was hyped about it I would not go near the new kangaroo boxes for at least 3 years then there will be a new "Baby Cub and Momma Bear" box that will surpass the kangaroo. Eventually they will develop the Rooster & Hen System that will have all features enabled from the start but the Baby Chick boxes will ship about 2 months after the Rooster & Hen system to enable full options.

It is pretty clear that the hopper is what they first thought they would accomplish with the 922. At that time they probably thought a bunch of HDTVs driven by sling, but probably ran into too many problems (like even if on gigabit ethernet the sling just does not perform well with the trick plays).

Sling was the wrong technology for around the house HDTV extention. It works great over the internet which it was designed to do.

This receiver is not going to be turned off tomorrow or be useless any time soon, it just will never be what it was hyped up to be.

It is now just a basic working HD receiver.

Well I hate to say I told ya'll so , but I did over a year ago in fact, after I gave up the 922 I paid to own and traded it back in for a new 722k instead. I saw the writing on the wall in 2010 , when I saw how many standard items the "flagship receiver " didn't have, that the older Vip receivers did have, not to mention all the glitches and bugs the 922 had back then. Now DISH put all their techs on the new Hopper /Joey system and pulled the 922 for " BMP software compatibility.". All I can say folks after 15 years with DISH this month, is wait for it...... Don't be the first to upgrade to the new Hopper system. Let it hit the market and let the reviews come in, then if it has all the things you want and it sounds like it works well, then and ONLY then , should you upgrade. And this time , for the first time ever, I am saying this : DON'T pay to own the new system. Do the commitment instead and let DISH own it. That way you aren't out the money like I was on the 922 and the older 921 receiver. That bad boy cost me $1000.00 to own. NEVER AGAIN . Lets all say that together: NEVER AGAIN DISH.:rant:

I was a supporter of the 922 but no Blockbuster, and now no HBO On Demand makes me realize that I've been wasting money on dead end technology. It's as if their whole 922 development team quit and they have no idea what to do with this product anymore.
Blockbuster and HBO on Demand ARE coming to the 922. The majority of the code for the Hopper is 922 code, and the team has been working overtime getting the code working with Hopper.

However after Blockbuster and HBO are added I do not see any new features planned for the 922 as it has been hinted to me that the 922 is being phased out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)