The BluRay killer??

Can someone rename this forum please?

It's clearly no longer the "HD-DVD / Blu-Ray warzone." Now it's the "HD-DVD is dead so let's all lament how much Blu-Ray sucks and search the internet frantically for some glimmer of hope of the 'next big thing' that will kill Blu-Ray" forum.

It's clearly no longer the "HD-DVD / Blu-Ray warzone." Now it's the "HD-DVD is dead so let's all lament how much Blu-Ray sucks and search the internet frantically for some glimmer of hope of the 'next big thing' that will kill Blu-Ray" forum.

+1

I actually thin Vurbano's happier now that HDDVD is dead, means he can post more articles about why BD sucks and wont work ;)

Can you say the next VOOM, i dont care if they have Douglas.

+1

I actually thin Vurbano's happier now that HDDVD is dead, means he can post more articles about why BD sucks and wont work ;)

BD doesn't suck its just a Sony format. I have a distaste from previous ventures.

They are almost Identical from conception. and HD-DVD had 51 gig disks toward the end.

The issues came from Interactivity and brand names IMO.

Sony won this one, and I am proud of them for sticking with it. :D

Of course UMD just lost but at least they are supporting movies to the psp via memory card:D

+1

Was Voom 1080p?????? with 7.1 sound??? Look at the specs below, removable hard drives, 4 HD streams at once, ethernet distribution. record 3 while watching a 4th? Media receiver, media server all installed for 399? This is F*ckin awesome. I already have every room wired with gigabit in place.

The XStreamHD Revolution

XStreamHD is leading the Full HD revolution with the first transport network to bring 1080p video and 7.1 channels of lossless audio directly to the home via satellite. Never before has there been a home theater experience that combines all of the features, quality, value, and convenience that consumers want. XStreamHD offers affordable access to the highest quality HD movies, music, broadcast TV, electronic games, and more - without the limitations of programming schedules, storage space, or physical media, and without the hassles of video rental stores, slow mail service, or out-of-stock titles. With XStreamHD, consumers will never miss the new releases or the broadcast HD content they love. The hottest movies and new releases are delivered via satellite, while vintage titles may be delivered over a broadband Internet connection.

With XStreamHD, consumers can build a customized, unique, and unparalleled in-home entertainment network and enjoy the content they want most, when it's most convenient, anywhere in the home, and at the quality today's home theaters were designed to support. Only XStreamHD's proprietary technology delivers video in Full HD (1080p) - twice the quality of current cable and satellite offerings - and up to 7.1 channels of lossless audio, achieving sound quality that is identical to the studio master and surpassing any other direct-to-home service available.

The complete XStreamHD solution includes three core components that are quickly and easily installed by the user or, if preferred, by a qualified technician. The first is a small outdoor satellite antenna that captures multiple streams of Full HD content delivered by XStreamHD through existing standard geosynchronous satellites. From the dish, titles are stored centrally in the XStreamHD Media Server located inside the home. The Media Server stores your pre-selected titles in your Virtual Personal Library until you access them with any XStreamHD Media Receiver or DLNA-compliant device throughout your XStreamHD home network.

Pricing & Availability

The XStreamHD solution will be available to consumers in early Q4 2008. The introductory price for a complete XStreamHD home solution, including a Media Server and a Media Receiver, is available to initial subscribers starting at just $399.

Featured System Highlights

-- Satellite delivery of Full HD 1080p video, MPEG-2 or MPEG-4/H.264 in 4:3 or 16:9 screen formats

-- Satellite delivery of up to 7.1 channels 96kHz/24bits of lossless DTS-HD(TM) Master Audio

-- View four Full HD video streams simultaneously throughout the home

-- Learns users' choices and preferences to adopt their entertainment profile and continuously updates the Virtual Personal Library with titles they're likely to enjoy

-- Equipped with three ATSC tuners and a Network Video Recorder for viewing and recording three HDTV broadcasts at the same time - even while watching a fourth selection from your Virtual Personal Library(TM)

-- Patent Pending Adaptive Recording(TM) ensures accurate recording of HDTV programs from start to finish, even if broadcast schedules change or are delayed

-- Easy-to-use on-screen menus to manage content preferences, parental controls, spending limits

-- DLNA v1.5 certified to integrate all compatible devices on the XStreamHD network

-- Dual slide-in drive bays enable scalable storage featuring Seagate(R) Technology hard drive storage - 500GB, 1 TB, 2 TB options - and the ability to configure an external storage subsystem via the eSATA interface

-- Includes a feature-rich Personal PBX business-class phone system; also supports VoIP calls and offers free calls between XStreamHD subscribers

-- Uses gigabit Ethernet (GigE) permitting the transfer of HD video and audio at 1 gbps throughout the home

-- HDMI interface simplifies installation and ensures signal integrity for vibrant 1080p video

-- Front panel USB port for MP3 audio downloads

Ok, its upgraded VOOM. Ill pass. One thing Im not gonna early adopt. Maybe after netflix is dead.

As far as the TL-51, Maxpower and DV on AVS both stated that it was never gonna see the light of day(comments that were not disputed), just more amir propoganda.

Im actually glad I did not go with UMD, looks liek I may be buying a PSP though :).

It sounds very cool if it delivers. But I don't see it as a BD killer. It is the same as having satellite & DVD, they co-exist just fine.

I can see it existing happily along side BD.

I had Voom. Voom was nothing compared to this.

Since I did not have voom(except on Dish), Ill go with your wisdom in this.

It sounds very cool if it delivers. But I don't see it as a BD killer. It is the same as having satellite & DVD, they co-exist just fine.

I can see it existing happily along side BD.

I just think people have issue with satellite, it may become popular but it wont be the media killer that downloads appear to be. Most will have HSI, most arent gonna throw up a dish.

Ill admit, if its out a year or so and picks up steam, Ill prob try it because Im not afraid to throw a dish up. Im gonna wait on the sidelines though.

Was Voom 1080p?????? with 7.1 sound??? Look at the specs below, removable hard drives, 4 HD streams at once, ethernet distribution. record 3 while watching a 4th? Media receiver, media server all installed for 399? This is F*ckin awesome. I already have every room wired with gigabit in place.

It does sound cool, assuming they have the bandwidth to actually deliver a good quality 1080p picture and 7.1 sound (I'll believe it when I see it), but I agree with Elway... it's only a killer if it can get a good enough adoption rate and convince people that they don't need discs... and I just don't see that happening - at least not any time soon.

Since I did not have voom(except on Dish), Ill go with your wisdom in this.

I just think people have issue with satellite, it may become popular but it wont be the media killer that downloads appear to be. Most will have HSI, most arent gonna throw up a dish.

Ill admit, if its out a year or so and picks up steam, Ill prob try it because Im not afraid to throw a dish up. Im gonna wait on the sidelines though.
Umm I have High speed internet and directv. What the hell does one have to do with the other?

Umm I have High speed internet and directv. What the hell does one have to do with the other?

HSI downloads vs this new sat service.

Many more will have HSI than will want to put up a dish.

Therefore, this technology will not have the pentration that traditional downloads will have.

As far as your other question, you need to get yours eyes examined if you see that as a bash(especially funny coming from someone who bashes D* quite regularly. Matter of fact you bash everything quite regularly so i guess its moot. Huh? !sadroll )

D* and E* are not having an easy time with getting their sats launched right now because of other events. These guys have yet to launch their first, so who knows if itll go up on time, blow up on launch or get up and work at half capacity because of failure.

Ill worry with this service once its launched.

I agree.

I do not really see this as competition to blu-ray/hd-dvd, more as a suppliment type service for those that want everything.
I will admit that it sounds interesting though.

I think Vurby is looking in the right direction. It might take a few years, and who knows whether it will be either: Sat, Fios, Cable or DSL. But there are several companies with BIG $$$ jumping on this bandwagon, including Netflix and others who have an interest in shaping the next way we get movies. As usual it is logistics; if the hardware techonolgy and delivery system were ready right now, we would not even be discussing BD or HD-DVD. I would not be suprised if in 10 years ANY disc format will be a curious relic like laserdisc.

Have you learned nothing? All the technology in the world cannot save you if you don't have any content to distribute. Think hd-dvd losing WB!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts