The days of $7.99 Netflix may be over....

Because some people like to say they are leaving Dish and going to Netflix because Dish keeps raising its prices....

Just when you think you can have an alternative to high premium pack channels like HBO/Showtime/Starz/Cinemax, now it looks like Netflix is planning on some future price increases.

www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/01/22/netflix-price-increase_n_4647065.html

This doesn't surprise me at all and I've been saying it for over a year now. As these people who think they have it all figured out by cutting the cord and watching their shows online are going to see some price increases. Eventually it won't be as great of deal as everyone thinks.

A big thing in the article is that they are "considering" it, not that they are going to implement it. Of course consideration usually means that it is forthcoming. However, remember that Netflix took some very heavy heat when they split up the disc by mail and stream. Some people were outraged and went to Redbox....

Netflix has hardly any new releases. the stuff they call new is often several years old, at least on the streaming part of there business.

Their selection is really bad, not even worth 7.99. When I was a cord cutter I ended up purchasing on Amazon. So I cut the cord on Netflix. Its just a gee wiz fad to stream from them. Soon they will die and become irrelevant.

Netflix better be careful with that idea,Amazon Prime could gain a lot of subscribers.

Netflix better be careful with that idea,Amazon Prime could gain a lot of subscribers.

As thousands more keep signing up for Amazon Instant Video expect their rates to increase over time as well. As their customer base increases so do their expenses. Don't forget that networks are going to want a piece of the pie when they see the amount of customers and revenue Amazon can pull in.

Sure the rates will rise but, there is plenty of competition out there.My point being, that netflix would be wise not to go overboard with any possible increases

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I'm going to guess that they will offer different tiers, like a 2-or-3 stream service for a few bucks more, and the single stream service no more than 9.99.

As thousands more keep signing up for Amazon Instant Video expect their rates to increase over time as well. As their customer base increases so do their expenses. Don't forget that networks are going to want a piece of the pie when they see the amount of customers and revenue Amazon can pull in.
Netflix, Hulu + and Amazon Prime could all double in price and their combined cost would still be cheaper than most cable/sat packages. And I hope you're not assuming that cable/sat packages won't go up in price either.

Now you're not making your comments because you're a Dish dealer now, are you? :rolleyes:

However, remember that Netflix took some very heavy heat when they split up the disc by mail and stream. Some people were outraged and went to Redbox....

Or BB@home at no extra cost over Platinum HD. Now that BB@home disks are no more, I've been forced back on Netflix. I never did see the value in the limited streaming options Netflix had before, when disks and streaming were sold together. Is that any better now than in the past?

Netflix has hardly any new releases. the stuff they call new is often several years old, at least on the streaming part of there business.

I keep seeing this complaint on various Netflix related threads and it doesn't make any sense to me. I guess I just don't understand how people expect them to include new releases in their unlimited streaming package for $2 more than Dish charges to rent a single new release. That just doesn't make sense. The content owners aren't just going to give them everything for free or cheap enough to throw it in an all you can eat plan the day it comes out on blu-ray.

Their selection is really bad, not even worth 7.99. When I was a cord cutter I ended up purchasing on Amazon. So I cut the cord on Netflix. Its just a gee wiz fad to stream from them. Soon they will die and become irrelevant.

I completely disagree. I have been streaming from Netflix since 2008 so it doesn't feel like a "gee wiz" fad to me. They have plenty of content to justify my $8, especially if you like to watch TV series. If you want to watch new releases as soon as they come out you can get them as a PPV at $6 a pop from Dish or $5 a pop from Amazon/iTunes. You will get more new releases that way but you will pay a lot more than $8 a month for them too.

"Among the pricing plans being tested are a $6.99-a-month plan that allows only one video stream to be watched at once, and a $9.99-a-month plan that allows three streams at one time, whether on a TV, tablet or computer. "

http://t.nbcnews.com/business/netflix-tests-price-tiers-ceo-gets-50-percent-raise-2D11825893

That option would actually be a decrease for those of us who only need one stream at a time. If they did something like that they would probably be ok with people switching to the lower priced option if that means they stop sharing their Netflix login info with 5 of their friends.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)